Dry Carbon Wrapped Moto Droid

MrSHFTY

Reaction score
Where did you get it? I got mine on eBay from the guy who runs metrodecals.com.

-Mike
picked up at 12"x12" at carbonfibergear.com. i wish you told me the site earlier seeing that i could have saved $5 :frown:

cuskit

Reaction score
Beautiful job! Loved the pictures!

I was contemplating buying one of your stands and wrapping it too!

-Mike
Beat you too it... Well, the vinyl was ordered but has not arrived yet. - but pics will be posted when it's done. You'll need more than 12" x 12" though. I ordered 12' x 48". Assuming more than one will get done... ;)

But I'll happily send you a unit if you have the time - I'm a bit backed up here. No power for four days. Jersey got slammed hard this past weekend! :) mike

MJ5150

Reaction score
I ordered 12' x 48".

So did I.

Wrapping things in carbon fiber is addicting. I just did my sons iPod touch, and the gear selector in my truck. If I had a pet, I'd wrap him too! :D

Meet my dog, Carbie, the carbon fiber superdog.

-Mike

demon69120

Reaction score
Sounds fun. I hate bulk, might want to try this on my Droid (or on a Sedio incase I screw up). Not exactly a handy man with this, but hey, when I try it should work. No bulk, no thickness sounds great. I made a copper battery door with my dad's friends and added copper heat syncs to my phone since I'm naturally a computer cooling & overclocking geek, so since a case kind of traps in heat I can't use one. Carbon fiber has high thermal conductivity?

MJ5150

Reaction score
I thought carbon fiber was a vinyl? Carbon threads weaved.

I had to read this so I understood better: Carbon fiber - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To be clear, the product being talked about in this thread is not "real" carbon fiber. It is a high quality vinyl adhesive made by 3M to look like real carbon fiber. I am no CF authority, but this looks dang near the real thing to my eyes.

If you want the real deal CF, there is a guy making cases out of CF here in this forum.

-Mike

67Camaro

Reaction score
CF

I just ordered a sample of this stuff, big enough for my phone. Lots of work, but a nice result :)

DSC02285.jpg

MrSHFTY

Reaction score
^ nice

random question. do you cut the vinyl exactly the size of the part, lets say the battery door, or continue wrapping a little bit on the under side?

67Camaro

Reaction score
Well, I found the battery plate to be the easiest. I took the cover and traced it on the white(back) side of the film. And then cut it about .050" larger all around. It was a tight fit so on the sides I cut it flush to the plate.

MJ5150

Reaction score
random question. do you cut the vinyl exactly the size of the part, lets say the battery door, or continue wrapping a little bit on the under side?

For me, I laid down one big piece to cover the entire bottom half of the phone, that piece was about an inch longer all around. As for the battery door, it does not wrap around the sides for me. It is cut exactly to size.

-Mike

MrSHFTY

Reaction score
well here is my wrapped seidio case. i think i did pretty good for a first timer. im sure others who have experience with wrapping can do a better job but im happy with it. the most difficult part were the corners, i suck:

FxCam_1269064264368.jpg

FxCam_1269064286225.jpg

FxCam_1269064301783.jpg