Dropped and damaged my Droid - options?

Droids

Reaction score
This morning as I got out of my truck my Droid popped out of the swivel holster and fell onto an asphalt parking lot that was full of loose asphalt bits. It landed on the face and suffered small scratches on the glass, could live with them I suppose. But the black bezel surrounding the glass took major hits, lots of scratches and even deep chunks of paint gouged out, including where the bezel meets the glass. In fact it looks like in one spot, the gouge in the bezel also took a tiny chunk of glass with it. I'm really surprised the glass didn't shatter. The keyboard slides out easier now, it seems. There's so much damage done, and it's only a week old.

I had been considering returning it anyway, and going across the street to a Best Buy for a Dell price match but no way the Verizon store will simply take it back with this damage.

Bought it a Verizon company store, have not even mailed in my rebate request yet. Do I have any options in getting this replaced. Will the store replace it for a fee?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did you get the insurance with your phone? If so you can get a replacement but I don't think you'll be able to flat our RETURN it.

Twoo

Reaction score
I had something similar happen to me a while ago. I had just got a new phone, dropped it and scratched it up pretty bad and tore the paint up. When I went to the store to exchange it under the insurance plan they refused to do it on the grounds the phone was still able to function 100% and it was just cosmetic damage.

So I walked out of the store, turned the corner, hit it against the side of the building destroying the screen, walked back in and got a new one (had to pay $50 deposit).

=)

EDIT: I HAD PHONE INSURANCE!

myriad46

Reaction score
You can sign up for insurance up to 30 days after you buy the phone. Sign up now, then file a claim. Keep in mind some of the deductibles for the "premium" phones can be over a $100. That being said, it's still cheaper than a new Droid off-contract.

themans23

Reaction score
I signed up for Best Buys insurance, it would have been 7.99 for Verizons insurance with a $80 deductable, best buy is $10 no deductable, no limit of claims, and I always get a New not Refurbished phone. they will also replace the Ghost Armor for free as well. the only thing is it does not cover theaft or loss...

DroidBoy22

Reaction score
I had something similar happen to me a while ago. I had just got a new phone, dropped it and scratched it up pretty bad and tore the paint up. When I went to the store to exchange it under the insurance plan they refused to do it on the grounds the phone was still able to function 100% and it was just cosmetic damage.

So I walked out of the store, turned the corner, hit it against the side of the building destroying the screen, walked back in and got a new one (had to pay $50 deposit).

=)

EDIT: I HAD PHONE INSURANCE!

WIN! haha!

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
OP: question, did you have a case or screen protector?

OP
Droids

Droids

Reaction score
I didn't buy insurance. For $8 a month and $80 deductible I didn't think it was worth it. If I still can get on the insurance, is it a contract deal or can I cancel it after getting a replacement phone?

Wonder how long it'll be until you can buy a droid off contract for $100... This blows.

OP
Droids

Droids

Reaction score
OP: question, did you have a case or screen protector?
No case or screen protector. Honestly this screen is tough to scratch, and the holster has worked well for me so far as did the holster on my previous W755. I've dropped phones before, rarely, and never had much more than a minor scratch.

This thing looks like I threw it across a parking lot, skipping all the way.

medicTHREE

Reaction score
Call and add insurance to your phone. Call in a fwe days and get it replaced, will set you back the 80 bucks, but gets you a new phone. outside of that, not a shot in hell they will do anything for you.