Droid 2 dead, looking for options

nattylite

Reaction score
Ok, I'm a newbie here, so here goes .... tried to see if this exact topic has been breached, but I think it's so obvious that no one has probably bothered to ask it? :)

In the past week, my Droid 2 phone had a deadly run-in with a rainstorm - I accidentally dropped it under my car for a couple hours during a thunderstorm. I let it dry out for a few days, did the rice thing, put it back together, and plopped it in my purse to try out at work. Then what do you know, on my way to work, a water bottle spilled in my purse and soaked it, thereby rendering any chance of reviving this phone absolutely nil. W#%@#$!

I didn't have insurance, because almost 10 years of owning cell phones, I have never once soaked or killed one. Now I get water damage twice in one week. Ridic.

The water damage indicator is bright red. And when I finally turned my Droid on, the black and white screen pops up saying, "Bootloader 2c.7c Battery OK, OK to program, Transfer Mode: USB."

I took it to the Verizon store and the rep said that my phone is pretty much kaput - and suggested 2 options: 1) Buy the phone at retail, which is about $600. 2) Add a second line to my contract ($10/month for the next 2 years), and buy a phone from the Verizon store for about $200-$250.

Now when I look up phones on ebay, it looks like I can get a cheap Droid for less than $250.

Is it possible to buy a cheaper Droid on ebay (or from a friend or whatever) and hook it up to my existing line? Or do I need to buy a second line no matter what?

Thanks for any other insight to this situation, folks.

And I am adding this banana just because. :icon_ banana:

Graymayre

Reaction score
If you buy a phone from anyone or anywhere where it does not say "With new # year contract", then you will be able to put it on your current line. The only reason you would have to get a second line is to get the contract discount price. Depending on your situation and how long you've had your contract, some can get an early upgrade after a year. If you qualify for that, you could get a cheaper phone to use until that time, sand then just upgrade.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
N

nattylite

Reaction score
ok, thanks! maybe i will just try looking on ebay for an old phone then, or i will ask around to my friends? i have had my contract since nov. 2010. sucks that i just renewed my contract and now i have to deal with that.

OP
N

nattylite

Reaction score
another q - so if i buy a used phone on ebay, can i just take it to the verizon store to get it hooked up? and can i transfer the sim card from my old phone?

thx again.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
one thing you can try is to open the phone and clean the circuit boards and stuff with QTips and denatured alcohol or an alcohol-based cleaning agent (NOT gas). This should remove the calcium and possible rust build up on the circuits (which is what typically messes up electronics when they get wet) anyway....clean everything....EVERYTHING with it then let it dry. Once the substance is dry then use your wife’s (or girlfriends) toothbrush (you don’t want to use your own, right?) to brush off as much as possible.

Another option if it were still wet as in it just happened is....open device to expose as much as possible then completely cover the device in a bowl of uncooked rice. Rice being a natural desiccant will help absorb the excess moisture. Let it dry for at least 24 hours and DO NOT try to charge the device. Then follow above steps before powering back on.

rebaf

Reaction score
Did anyone read what it said when she turned it on; sounds like it ready to sbf....battery ok ready to transfer usb.

Insurance is a rip in my opinion. You should be able to find something used until you can reup....or for the cost of new phone just port your number to a different carrier entirely and get a new phone from them.

Best insurance is an ottetbox

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Did anyone read what it said when she turned it on; sounds like it ready to sbf....battery ok ready to transfer usb.

Insurance is a rip in my opinion. You should be able to find something used until you can reup....or for the cost of new phone just port your number to a different carrier entirely and get a new phone from them.

Best insurance is an ottetbox

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I have to agree, sounds like it could be SBFed. It cant try to hurt at this point.

I have to disagree. Insurance is good if you dont mind spending the extra money. With insurance, anything happens you pretty much are guaranteed a new phone, and not just a factory refurb(of course it depends on the shelf life on the phone). No matter ow carefully you are, sooner or later soemthing is bound to happen. Look at the situation here, for years she could have gotten by with out insurance, and now if she had it, she would pay $30 for a new phone and be done with it. Instead she is going to be paying about and pay $200-$500 I would guess.

@nattylite, sim card? I dint know the D2 used a sim card. :s Your contacts should be linked to your google mail, or you should be able to restore them from the sim card yourself.

OP
N

nattylite

Reaction score
what does SBF mean? I looked it up, but still don't understand what yr talking about, hehe. ;)

thx for your patience!