HELP!! My Droid is water-damaged!!

OP
A

akleopard

Reaction score
Update:

It was sea water that got in my phone. I pulled it out of the rice bag just to take a look at it. The water-damage indicator NEXT to the battery shows no water damage. I'm not sure where exactly the hidden ones are, but I took a peek inside the phone (with the battery out of course) and I see a reddish blob. I'm not sure if this is the hidden indicator or if it's just part of the phone.

Also, not looking good. It seems as though some of the metal parts inside rusted. I will give it a couple more days before I try anything though, but like I said earlier, I did try to turn it on to see if it was damaged, and in doing so there is a very high chance i destroyed the phone right then and there. Now it's just a matter of what I should tell Verizon.

mikes

Reaction score
one thing that use to work and i imagine still does is report it that it was stolen. You have to file a report with the police station and then you can claim it on your warranty. They will need some info off of the report though. that is one option.
You're encouraging him to not only be dishonest, but to commit a felony? Nice.

(note to self: Iryman cannot be trusted)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/38680-so-i-just-saved-drowning-kid.html

just say you jumped in to save a drowning kid.... apparently that reason works, no questions asked... :/

The difference is that was a true story, the guy had a police report to back him up even though they didn't ask for it, and he wasn't lying and being deceitful. Verizon IMHO showed good judgement by giving him another phone.

I think that going into a Verizon store with that story and pulling it off without it being true would take a good actor. And I really don't think it's the right thing to do.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/38680-so-i-just-saved-drowning-kid.html

just say you jumped in to save a drowning kid.... apparently that reason works, no questions asked... :/

The difference is that was a true story, the guy had a police report to back him up even though they didn't ask for it, and he wasn't lying and being deceitful. Verizon IMHO showed good judgement by giving him another phone.

I think that going into a Verizon store with that story and pulling it off without it being true would take a good actor. And I really don't think it's the right thing to do.

I didn't say it was the right thing to do, but I took heat on that thread because people thought I was suggesting the incident didn't happen. I just thought that Verizon had heard every excuse in the book (including one like that one) Never underestimate what people would say, including saying they saved a mentally challenged kid from drowning, to get out of paying for a phone they ruined.

Verizon should have AT LEAST, asked for this guy's proof, which he could have easily given, to verify his story. I have a pretty honest face myself, and I have pulled a few fast ones on friends and collegues just proving I COULD have taken real advantage. But I'm a good guy, I don't ever really take advantage. I just like to think of myself as having an honest face, a criminal mind, but no criminal intent. There are people who look honest, have a criminal mind AND criminal intent who would have no qualms about using that to save $500 for an uninsured phone...

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I didn't say it was the right thing to do, but I took heat on that thread because people thought I was suggesting the incident didn't happen. I just thought that Verizon had heard every excuse in the book (including one like that one) Never underestimate what people would say, including saying they saved a mentally challenged kid from drowning, to get out of paying for a phone they ruined.

Verizon should have AT LEAST, asked for this guy's proof, which he could have easily given, to verify his story. I have a pretty honest face myself, and I have pulled a few fast ones on friends and collegues just proving I COULD have taken real advantage. But I'm a good guy, I don't ever really take advantage. I just like to think of myself as having an honest face, a criminal mind, but no criminal intent. There are people who look honest, have a criminal mind AND criminal intent who would have no qualms about using that to save $500 for an uninsured phone...

True, there are many people who would do it and I agree that Verizon should have at least looked at the report.

Still, I think that was a rare occasion. I'll bet most of the time the answer is no even with a police report.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
I'm all for recognizing heroic deeds like the man who saved a drowning boy, but that is EXACTLY what insurance is for. A business shouldn't be expected to eat the loss because you didn't want to buy the insurance, no matter how heroic the deed.

"I don't have homeowners ins., but I was housing my mother who has alzheimers, will you build me a new roof since mine blew off during Hurricane xxxx?"