Um...woops.....water damage.

speedyroo

Reaction score
Soooo.....stupid me didn't know where my phone was. Turned out it was outside....aaaaand it started to rain. I went to look outside to see if it was raining and saw my phone was on the patio table. Grrrrreeeaaat. I immediately took the battery out and I took cleaning duster and got all the water I could out. It's powering up ok - BUT the touch screen you can see some water damage and I can't really GET into there with the duster. Also the touch screen is "touchy" and not necessarily working. Will the rice trick work at this point? Hair dryer?

I am eligible for an upgrade but was waiting to see what exciting new phones come out. I also am under warranty. I still see little red X's too......not a big red dot so the water damage thing isn't activated.

destin246

Reaction score
Do the rice and wait a couple days then try dont charge it

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
If you get another phone wet, don't use any kind of compressed air to try and remove the water. It only pushes it in deeper into the phone. It's also probably the reason you have water in your screen. Live and learn. You did right by taking out the battery. Don't use a hairdryer. If you get the components too hot it will damage them as bad as the water. Leave it apart for a couple days. You might get lucky. Good luck!

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

tgs3838

Reaction score
My method Is not the right way Im sure. I work with water and Iv dropped many phone into the water. Iv dropped my first droid in the water 2 times. 1st thing i do is take out the battery. Then Ill try to shake out as much water as I can. Then just put it in a dry warm place for a few hours. Then usually Ill power it back up. Sometimes it takes a day or 2 for the screen to work 100% right. But just give it some time. And it should work fine

OP
S

speedyroo

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips everyone! I have had it in quionoa (hey, I had no rice) all last night and today and I just put it on today and its working! A tad possessed and typing things on its own, but its responding pretty good - much better than I thought. Im surprised and becoming a believer that these Droid phones ROCK! I turned it off and put it back in the quinoa near something warm. Hopefully it'll get better. I can still see water marks and things in the screen but I don't really mind that as long as it works!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Be careful. The reason why water damages your phone is because the water causes the phone to short circuit when you power it up permanently damaging your phone. You want to wait until there is no possibility of water in the phone at all b/c, even though it may power up and seem to work, once it is on, if the water hits the right component in your phone, it can immediately fry it in less than a second. The phone won't short circuit without power so, as hard as it is to wait, the best thing to do is not power it up until there is no possibility of any water in the phone at all.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
NEVER POWER YOUR DEVICE UNTIL IT IS FULLY DRY or you risk causing more damage. At room temp you can expect it to take days to fully dry out. You can speed up the process by placing the device in a slightly warmer and dry environment.

If the liquid that the device was exposed to contains contaminants then you'll probably need to rinse out the device. Use either distilled water or alchohol to do so. You don't want to leave possibly conductive contaminants lying around in your device.