Droid4 ICS 206 Leak root hack, FINALLY.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
No, you won't have the option. No, it's an update not a replacement so all your apps/configurations/settings are still present.

However...if you have safestrap installed (I'm assuming you do and installed CM9/ICS on your safe side) the OTA update will fail.

93fuelslut

Reaction score
So basicly if I'm running cm9 as I'm typing this, my phone won't update until I "disable safe system" and restore my non safe nandroid?

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
It still won't upgrade successfully. Safestrap changes enough of the device that the checks the OTA's do to properly upgrade your software, make it fail. Hopefully not too far in the process to semi-brick your phone.

OTA's (like the leaks) require the phone to be stock. No alternate recoveries installed, no removal of stock /system apps, etc....

Root seems to be okay...though it will overwrite that and you have to re-root after an OTA update.

93fuelslut

Reaction score
O wow...I'll probly just skip it since re rooting seems to be a head ache...to bad we can't go back to using z4 root where all u do is dl a app and say root and bam.....

This upgrade comes out in what, fall?

OP
siggma

siggma

Reaction score
O wow...I'll probly just skip it since re rooting seems to be a head ache...to bad we can't go back to using z4 root where all u do is dl a app and say root and bam.....

This upgrade comes out in what, fall?

Actually it's not that difficult to update to the leak and rooting is a 2 minute, menu driven process. Don't bother with the old leaks, get the latest 213 leak. To install it grab the GB 219 STOCK blur and install it making sure it installs correctly. Then, before doing anything at all, install the latest (213) leak over the top of it. Then use the automated utility (top of this thread) to root, install Safestrap, Superser, OTA Rootkeeper etc.. Nothing special to rooting just plug it in and run the script. It reboots twice and you're rooted. Tested to work with all version of the leak.

Also there is now a CM9 ROM version for ICS you can install after rooting & safestrap. It's still considered beta but it does install and run. Just look at the first few threads under Droid 4 ROMS. I installed it yesterday and it works fine.

93fuelslut

Reaction score
Actually it's not that difficult to update to the leak and rooting is a 2 minute, menu driven process. Don't bother with the old leaks, get the latest 213 leak. To install it grab the GB 219 STOCK blur and install it making sure it installs correctly. Then, before doing anything at all, install the latest (213) leak over the top of it. Then use the automated utility (top of this thread) to root, install Safestrap, Superser, OTA Rootkeeper etc.. Nothing special to rooting just plug it in and run the script. It reboots twice and you're rooted. Tested to work with all version of the leak.

Also there is now a CM9 ROM version for ICS you can install after rooting & safestrap. It's still considered beta but it does install and run. Just look at the first few threads under Droid 4 ROMS. I installed it yesterday and it works fine.
O so the root is like petes one click root?
I'll just bypass this update and still use my aokp rom..but thanks tho
If I do update, what do i do?...-
Disable safestrap
Restore non safe nandroid
Go to manage apps and hit uninstall safestrap?

downslayer

Reaction score

If I am on the 206 ICS leak, can I update to 213 or am I stuck on 206? Is there still no way to get back to GB219 stock blur rom?

Also I have tried every method I've found so far to root my D4 on 206 and none of them work. Every time I try to update the su binary it fails. Also busybox fails to install and gives me an error message that says it could be because of botched root attempts. I wish I could start over from stock GB and go through the update process again. I botched up preserving root when I installed 206.

Last edited: