Droid X2 ICS??

wfw40869

Reaction score
Hey. I currently own an X2 and was wondering if there is still hope and or any new news on the X2's Iva upgrade? Considering that I don't have an upgrade for another year. Thanks

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/sh... Droid X2 Will Not Receive Ice Cream Sandwich

casper99801

Reaction score
In my latest complaint to Motorola here is what was written

04/10/2012
Dear Joe,
We are always gathering input from owners from calls, e-mails, the Web and other sources. I can't say for sure if this is known or common, but it will certainly be passed on. We do apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you and want to assure you that Motorola does value your feedback. We open a record for all consumer contacts which are then routed to the proper department for any further research.
The current ICS upgrade status for the Droid X2 is that it is in the Evaluation & Planning phase.
As soon as an estimated release date is announced, it will be listed on the page below.
Below is the direct page link for the ICS news:
https://forums.motorola.com/pages/00add97d6c

Best Regards,
David

Sounds like a reply just to shut me up, but I dunno.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
They currently haven't announced any for the X2, but I would be kind of surprised if they did not. It's a DROID phone afterall, and Moto has been pretty good with supplying their DROID line with 2 years of updates.

tjoh311

Reaction score
The only way our concerns and complaints will be resolved is by the community as a whole talking with their dollars. Unfortunately, I know a lot of people with android phones, including Motorola products and I have to admit, the true concentration of individual's who actually care about the "nuts and bolts" of these gadgets is actually a small percentage. So the probability of getting enough consumers to understand or rather even care enough to boycott Motorola is nil. Just my .02

Reaction score
CM9 will probably come out before Moto makes an ICS for Droid x2. And I'd rather have that then a motoblured version of ICS. Motoblur is like a bad rash not something you WANT to have. :biggrin:

tymark28

Reaction score
Regarding the ICS update for Droid X2: I recently had a lengthy email discussion about this subject with a Motorola Rep. In the beginning, I was getting the same response from him that I have gotten from Verizon and every other Moto Rep that I have spoken with. However, I was persistent and bluntly told him exactly what my suspicions were regarding Motorola and Verizon's vague answers regarding the update. After some back and forth, he told me the following:

"Regarding the possibility of the ICS on a Droid X2, its definitely possible." .... "Honestly, I am already running ICS on my Droid X2 but there are still a lot of bugs like for wifi, camera, data connectivity even the general sluggishness of the phone when running apps. This is not a Motorola released update. When I put the phone back to its original 2.3.4 version and everything works fine again. Please take note that I cannot give you information on how you can do that to your phone. I am not permitted to since this can cause serious damage on the phone and may render it unusable."

Of course, you can take all of that for what it's worth, but I have read a couple of brief mentions on the internet about the instability and sluggishness of the ICS update on the Droid X and X2. I just wanted someone to say something that mattered, and that is not to say that he wasn't just telling me something to get rid of me and to perpetuate the myth that the X-phones would get the update. I would think that for fear of consumer revolt, they would at least make some effort to update the software. However, their unwillingness to simply come forward and admit "no update" or at least go public with what their intentions are speaks volumes. Vaguely worded responses from Motorola or someone "in the loop", be it in an email like mine or a Better Business Bureau complaint, is not really the kind of answer that is needed by owners of these phones.

As for me, I have come to the conclusion that when my upgrade date comes, if I want a phone that has current features and software, I will just get another phone. Of course, consumers buying newer, more expensive phones while keeping others waiting is probably their reasoning behind dragging it out. Ultimately, profitability rules the day for both Motorola and Verizon. But rest assured, I will not have another Motorola phone because of this problem as well as others (sluggishness, freezing, battery life, etc). My biggest problem with all of this is that my phone is NOT that old and it bothers me that after such a short period of time the phone is outdated. I will just keep watching, reading, and waiting to see what happens.

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
ICS on my Droid X2 but there are still a lot of bugs like for wifi, camera, data connectivity
he was likely running cm9, and the bugs are because cm9 developers don't have a DX2 ics rom to work off of
there's a cm9 for D2G and D2 that works very well, and both those are older and single core
it's not that the phones, can't run ics
it's the time and money moto will put into it, making it work with the hardware
and with the customization verizon requires them to include

tymark28

Reaction score
it's not that the phones, can't run ics
it's the time and money moto will put into it, making it work with the hardware
and with the customization verizon requires them to include

I appreciate your response. Aside from my obvious frustration, and despite what others may say, I find it hard to believe that the DX2 won't receive a software update of any sort. I have had little issues with my phone, but I do like the design and general functionality which is the reason that I bought it. I would like very much to see an update of the software.

Your response spurred me to do a little research online and I came across quite a bit of information including the video showing "Motorola Droid X2 ICS/CM9 Alpha 1 Preview" ( [video=youtube;y-MAd6P2pQM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-MAd6P2pQM[/video] ) dated February 13th, 2012.

What would be a good guess for a date for a software upgrade? Would you think around the first to mid second-half of the year?

And of course the DX2 won't be a year old until May 26th, but Verizon is already placing it in the bargain basement.