Droid X worth the next 20 months?

OP
cece5702

cece5702

Reaction score
If your going by the latest technology, yes it probably is outdated. Its really based on one's personal preference. I'm going by what meets my needs and the Droid X will do it for me. #Just sayin!!!:)
for me, i can't even envision living with a DX for the next 20 months. the DX is virtually outdated right now, what with all the dual cores coming out. as people have mentioned, the dual core DX2 is expected within just a few weeks, and i'm sure the price will start dropping in the summer when the iP5 and D3 release. moreover, quad core phones are rumored to be coming before the end of the year. i would think that if you got a DX now, by the time Christmas rolls around, you're going to be loudly lamenting the fact that you're locked into a grossly outdated phone for another year still...

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i wholeheartedly agree that it comes down to personal preferences. but, i think you're assuming that you're personal preferences/needs are going to remain static for the next 2 years - i don't know too many people like that... i'm assuming your preferences/needs have changed within the last year, otherwise you wouldn't be looking to upgrade to a more powerful phone now.

also, as jaycemeskel pointed out in your other thread, what happens when Google/Moto/VZW get ready to release the next OS that has some features/functions you really like/want, but your phone isn't compatible/capable of getting the updated OS???

i'm not trying to change your mind - just want to give you some food for thought so you make a fully informed decision. good luck on whatever you choose!!

Hobn

Reaction score
I'm saying you can get 10 normal batteries for the price of 1 extended, and their combined capacity is a lot more than one extended.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Slighter

Reaction score
Just upgraded at discounted price from the og Droid to an X and am glad I did.
Stock only it does (for me) what the droid was marginal at. When I get bored I'll root it.
Not that concerned with having the latest and greatest much anymore....$$$......

kevinkar

Reaction score
I think huskerkate is stuck in the "there's always something better less than a year away" quagmire! I know she's right but you will ALWAYS have outdated technology the day you buy it so you can't live that way (unless you have a lot of money and aren't married!)

Sure, if there's a "tick-tock" cycle going on and you want to buy the "tick" you really should wait for the "tock" but if you just bought the "tock", you surely should be able to bypass the next "tick"!

These phones are pretty fast as it is and I've yet to see it lag on any streaming data, movies, music, or games so it must be doing its job. I honestly can't see dual/quad core phones improving Angry Birds or podcast streaming so buying a really inexpensive DX today really ought to work fine for the next year and a half at least.

As for the batteries, without an external charger, you'd have to take all those cheap standard batteries and charge them all up in the phone and shut the phone down to replace them. That's a lot of annoyance for me.

I find that one extended battery lasts me two days and, if I run into trouble or somehow am not near my chargers (home, office, and car) I can then pop in the standard battery for another day's worth of use as I carry that around much of the time. Since I'm usually at home or work, I just plug in when I'm stationary!

I also find that the extended battery may be rated only 30% more as one poster noted but in my world, it gives me not quite double the time as the standard battery with my usage habits. That's fine for me! So the combined capacity of a lot of inexpensive standard batteries is definitely more than one extended but it's a whole other can of worms in my opinion.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
The droid X is a really good phone and I think should be good to go for that 20 months.

BUT if we're talking about next month I wouldn't stay exclusive to the DX. Keep it in consideration but there might be something else that meets your fancy in that month or the next.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

leonozug

Reaction score
I'm scared to root my phone. I wouldnt know how to do it and it scares me that if I mess anything up, Verizon wont fix it. If the X is faster than my Droid 1, I'll be happy :icon_ banana:
I just got a used X off Ebay to replace my Droid 1. I rooted it, put Rubix on it, and it's awesome. It's blazing fast. I'll keep this until something really good comes out, like that Moto Targa.

Actually there's nothing to really be afraid of. It seems daunting at first, but all I did was read up on this forum, and the Droid X forum, and watched youtube video tutorials. Doing that will show you exactly how to root it, rom it, and how to recover it if you mess up. I think it's worth it, cause it's a lot faster running Rubix Focused(or blurry)verses stock. But stock ain't bad either. It's a great phone overall. :)

andylulzyou

Reaction score
I would not buy another Droid X now.. it's a solid phone but it's EOL is in March and all of the new phones coming out are much better.. If I'm going to have the same phone for the next 20 months I'm going to want the absolute best phone I could have.. and the DX isn't that.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
You could always buy one off of eBay. Then maybe you can get a new phone if you ever feel the X is getting too old.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

jmorton10

Reaction score
all of the new phones coming out are much better.. .

I honestly don't see how any of the new phones will be "much better" than the X in everyday use.

Dual core certainly won't make any noticeable difference at this time....

~John

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
all of the new phones coming out are much better.. .

I honestly don't see how any of the new phones will be "much better" than the X in everyday use.

Dual core certainly won't make any noticeable difference at this time....

~John

At this time. To me 20 months is a long time and in 20 months the X will be ancient. I realize that not everyone has needs for all the newest stuff but who knows what features will be added. A new feature that you may want will not be feasible on your X but some of these newer phones might get it.

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
but once Ice Cream Sandwich drops, it will make a ton of difference, i'm betting. and, ICS will be out a lot sooner than 20 months.

edit: in response to jmorton...

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Too many are awed by the latest and greatest, just like others have said there will always be a better phone out in 6 months. The X is a great phone

Dr01dX

Reaction score
I upgraded to a Droid X two weeks ago...

Greetings,

My wife and I wrestled with this same decision. On 01-Jan-11 our family contract expired and we wanted to upgrade two smartphones. After much research, our decision came down to getting two Droid X phones now or waiting for two Droid Bionics in April. The higher 960 x 540 pixel resolution of the Bionic's display was very tempting. But we decided to upgrade to two Droid X phones two weeks ago. We've been very happy with the decision.

Why did we choose the Droid X over the Bionic?

1 - Cost: The Droid X price dropped to $0 for both phones at WireFly.com (note: Motorola also dropped the micro SD card size from 16 GB to 2 GB when the price dropped). We already had large-capacity micro SD cards from our old phones so the price of the phone, itself, was the "tipping point" for us. Up until now, only new accounts could get them for free. But now upgrades can also get them for free, too. I just checked and they're still free as I write. The Bionic will undoubtedly command a premium price for many months after its release just like the Droid X did.

2 - We use our phones a lot for internet access and want the 4G speed but we're located in a rural area where Verizon 4G probably won't arrive until late 2012 or early 2013. If we get Bionics next month, we don't want to pay extra for a feature we can't use yet.

3 - Android (on a phone) is not really ready for multicore CPUs yet and you won't be able to get full performance from the Bionic until a future version which Motorola will probably be slow to provide. We'd rather wait until Android can better utilize multiple cores before moving to them and we may want to jump straight to a quad core (NVidia, maker of the Bionic's dual core, is already sampling quad core units to manufacturers).

4 - The standard battery of the Droid X is 1540 mAh and the standard battery of the Bionic will reportedly be 1930 mAh yet the Bionic will have less talk time because the dual cores consume so much more power. We don't want a shorter battery life---especially my wife. New battery technology is coming to overcome this but it won't be here for the Bionic. Nor do we want a thicker phone to accommodate a thicker battery. The Droid X is nice and slim (mostly).

5 - The Bionic will only shoot 720p HD video like the Droid X. We want full 1080p and we want it to be good-quality 1080p!!! I've worked in the pro photography industry for several years as both a photographer and a photo software developer and I'm convinced that super phones can also become super cameras/camcorders. It hasn't happened yet but it will.

As others have written, this is a largely personal decision and I'm not trying to talk anyone into doing what we did. I'm just sharing the thinking that contributed to our decision.

-------

As for the super cheap OEM batteries: BEWARE!!! Read the Amazon reviews for them and you'll see that, in many cases, you are getting what you pay for---namely, rejects or used-but-labeled-as-new junk that you should NOT want to get anywhere near your expensive phone. Do you really want to risk a $600 phone to save $45 on a battery that may overheat or explode when you charge it? You have got to be very careful about buying these kinds of grey-market batteries. It's like buying an expensive sports car and putting cheap tires on it. Sheesh! Nuff said...

Kind regards, Dr01dX

Last edited:

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Too many are awed by the latest and greatest, just like others have said there will always be a better phone out in 6 months. The X is a great phone

I'm not necessarily awed by the latest and greatest phones but the software is a definitely something to be concerned with. You know how there are certain apps that are 2.2+ only? Who's to say that some apps won't be like that in the future? I just prefer to make the best possible decision within a certain time frame, that's all.