Droid X successfully overclocked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elkay

Reaction score
Alright, I managed to get my Droid X overclocked last night. Initial testing is not looking very promising.

I wasn't able to get Quadrant to even do a full run without rebooting the phone at 1.1Ghz. Looks like Motorola has this thing clocked surprisingly close to its frequency limit on stock voltages out of the box unless I ended up with a bad sample. Keep in mind that this was with stock voltages, though, so not all hope is lost yet. I didn't get this working until about 4am so I didn't have a chance to mess with the voltages since I had work this morning.

I'll work on it some more tonight and report back with additional findings.

Humpa

Reaction score
Why? The phone is blazing out of the box.
The Droid could be overclocked significantly, so people think overclocking is the end all and is the main reason why many newbies want root. They don't realize that it is going to give rather insignificant results on most phones, aside from when doing benchmarks.

Now the OP is not one of these "newbies" I'm referring to, of course. I don't know him, but I'm sure he's one that likes to overclock and "tweak" his devices. I suspect he has more than one OC'd pc/laptop as well. And things like overclocking the phone is how we, as a community, learn more.

Last edited:
OP
E

Elkay

Reaction score
The Droid could be overclocked significantly, so people think overclocking is the end all and is the main reason why many newbies want root. They don't realize that it is going to give rather insignificant results on most phones, aside from when doing benchmarks.

Now the OP is not one of these "newbies" I'm referring to, of course. I don't know him, but I'm sure he's one that likes to overclock and "tweak" his devices. I suspect he has more than one OC'd pc/laptop as well. And things like overclocking the phone is how we, as a community, learn more.

Couldn't have explained it better myself. I'm posting from an m17X-R2 Core i7 Extreme @3.6Ghz with overclocked ATI 4870 cards in CrossFireX. I'm not concerned about battery life on my laptop. :)

That being said, it was more-so a proof of concept. This phone is plenty fast for everyday use. It's not something I'd do often, in fact the only time I'd ever see doing it so far is using the PSX emulator, which again is something I wouldn't use very often.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL

Couldn't have explained it better myself. I'm posting from an m17X-R2 Core i7 Extreme @3.6Ghz with overclocked ATI 4870 cards in CrossFireX. I'm not concerned about battery life on my laptop. :)

That being said, it was more-so a proof of concept. This phone is plenty fast for everyday use. It's not something I'd do often, in fact the only time I'd ever see doing it so far is using the PSX emulator, which again is something I wouldn't use very often.

Agreed. My computer has an AMD Phenom2 X4 955BE. Stock is 2.2Ghz and I have it at 3Ghz. I use integrated graphics (ATI HD 3400 with 256 dedicated memory), but only because its more of a home theater machine. I plan on getting a video card soon though, Starcraft 2 is calling to me.

Cdjones187

Reaction score

Agreed. My computer has an AMD Phenom2 X4 955BE. Stock is 2.2Ghz and I have it at 3Ghz. I use integrated graphics (ATI HD 3400 with 256 dedicated memory), but only because its more of a home theater machine. I plan on getting a video card soon though, Starcraft 2 is calling to me.

Sorry for the correction but the AMD Phenom II X4 955BE is clocked at 3.2Ghz. Mine is clocked at 4Ghz, OC'd Radeon HD4890 also =]

GeekSpeak411

Reaction score
psha, i7 930 at 4.28 on air :D Droid X at 1.GHz still, actually, scratch that, I've got it downclocked to 600MHz currently for battery life. Performance with Launcher Pro is still excellent, the 512RAM is the current bottleneck for me.

Micrane

Reaction score
i7 975 @4.2 liquid, 12 gig 1600MHZ, 2x 5970Xfire @810/1110 + GTX 285 @702/1599/1299 for physx, i'm all about overclocking.

GeekSpeak411

Reaction score
oh no, I've got the CoolerMaster V8 on there, it stays nice and chilly. Peaks around 65 if I remember correctly.

OP
E

Elkay

Reaction score
My stock Quadrant score was usually around 1240-1250. The one 1.1Ghz that I got to finish was 1277.

OP
E

Elkay

Reaction score
A modified kernel module and pushing values directly into the frequency/voltage tables in memory, then setCPU to use the values. Like I said, this is very preliminary testing. I didn't even have the chance to touch the voltage, which seems will be the key to either this working well for us, or showing that 1Ghzs is close to the limit that the OMAP 3630 can handle (remember that the 3630-1000 is the same chip as the 3630, just certified to run stable at 1Ghz).

I'm optimistic that extra voltage will get us at least to 1.2Ghz stable. As far as diminishing returns goes, I can't say at this points. There are other possible limiting factors, such as the memory.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.