Droid X successfully overclocked

Status
Not open for further replies.

richjacksonkc

Reaction score
Why? The phone is blazing out of the box.
The Droid could be overclocked significantly, so people think overclocking is the end all and is the main reason why many newbies want root. They don't realize that it is going to give rather insignificant results on most phones, aside from when doing benchmarks.

For me I only want to OC if it DOES make a significant improvement.. I would just hate to buy the DX now and in a month see people significantly o/c'ing the D2 with the same processor to much higher speeds just because it may be a more open source phone...

I should be receiving my DX on 8/14 or before... I was trying to hold out for November to see what Christmas goodies android had in store but I pulled the trigger early on the DX. Just hope I don't regret it..

Humpa

Reaction score
Why? The phone is blazing out of the box.
The Droid could be overclocked significantly, so people think overclocking is the end all and is the main reason why many newbies want root. They don't realize that it is going to give rather insignificant results on most phones, aside from when doing benchmarks.

For me I only want to OC if it DOES make a significant improvement.. I would just hate to buy the DX now and in a month see people significantly o/c'ing the D2 with the same processor to much higher speeds just because it may be a more open source phone...

I should be receiving my DX on 8/14 or before... I was trying to hold out for November to see what Christmas goodies android had in store but I pulled the trigger early on the DX. Just hope I don't regret it..
There won't be a significant improvement from OC'ing the X. However, Froyo will definately be a significant improvement.

If you don't want a new and faster device to come out after you've bought a device - then don't buy anything. Because "next month" there will always, always, always be a new and better and faster device. This will happen forever - or at least the foreseeable future.

I do like seeing all the OC'ers though - now these guys are the ones that should be OC'ing their phones. As to real world performance, any gains aren't going to be significant. Rooting is significant, of course, but OC'ing isn't be one of the reasons I root.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Keep us posted on the OC status. Also, I run an e8400 @ 4.0ghz on air.

*LOL* yup, those Core2 Duos overclock like crazy. I remember having my e6300 @ ~3.8ghz on air, and didn't even have to do any crazy vcore bumps. And I think that thing was 1.86GHz, stock.

The funny thing is, my DROID will run all day at 1.2GHz, so percentagewise; it's even more overclockable that most Core2 duos.

I was hoping the results from the X would be more promising, especially with the process shrink to 45nm - Maybe the rest of the chipset runs too warm to allow the CPU core to overclock significantly.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
hmm, I guess comparing the Droid 1 and Droid X will be alot different. But at 1Ghz on my Droid im scoring between 1300 and 1500. Need to see some scores with Quadrant premium to see where the X is lacking. I know on the Droid 1 it scores higher because of the independent gfx card. Does the X have a gfx controller or is it software base? Also, the 2.2 I/O might made a big difference also.

The Droid 1 uses the OMAP3430 with a 600MHz CPU underclocked to 550MHz and a PowerVR SGX530 GPU at ~110MHz. It is built on a 65nm process, IIRC.

The X uses the OMAP3630 with a 1GHz CPU and a PowerVR SGX530 GPU running at 200MHz. It is built on a 45nm process. Thus, the clocks can be set a bit higher.

You have to remember, though. These high quadrant scores we're seeing from the Droid are from folks running 2.2 ROMS. The X is still running 2.1 2.2's JIT compiler has a huge impact on Quadrant, at least on the Droid 1 and Nexus One.

Pamela

Reaction score
Setcpu only goes from 300 default to 600min. Is 600 safe to keep it on at min?

OP
E

Elkay

Reaction score

The stepping is something I have been able to get control of. I'm still working out the details, it's a pretty involved procedure with a lot of command line stuff right now.

Still no dice on getting it to honor the entries above 1Ghz (even though it shows it as accepted). I'm starting to wonder if they hardcoded a 1Ghz ceiling somewhere, somehow. I'm working on getting a different governor on the X right now to see if it's in there.

Paralda

Reaction score

The stepping is something I have been able to get control of. I'm still working out the details, it's a pretty involved procedure with a lot of command line stuff right now.

Still no dice on getting it to honor the entries above 1Ghz (even though it shows it as accepted). I'm starting to wonder if they hardcoded a 1Ghz ceiling somewhere, somehow. I'm working on getting a different governor on the X right now to see if it's in there.

I don't understand why they would do that... but then again I also don't understand why they blocked the bootloader, either. I can understand a company not endorsing modding their devices, and even not covering modded devices via warranty... but to totally lock everything down? It's ridiculous and a waste of money. We will get around it, and they gain nothing from locking it down.

OP
E

Elkay

Reaction score
I can understand a company not endorsing modding their devices, and even not covering modded devices via warranty... but to totally lock everything down? It's ridiculous and a waste of money. We will get around it, and they gain nothing from locking it down.

The problem is enforcement. Without locking it down, they have little way of telling whether a broken phone died from a manufacturing flaw or an overzealous user. When you start talking about modding voltages, it is quite possible to permanently damage hardware if you go far out of specs.

So far, the bootloader hasn't been circumvented in the Milestone. We're going on 8 months now. There's no reason to think it won't take at least as long, if ever, before we see it on our device. Bottom line, preventing modding reduces support calls and returned devices. I don't agree with them locking things down, either, but it is what it is.

givmedew

Reaction score
^^^^
What he said. Look at all the posts on this forum about how to rip off the warranty process!!!

1) You can unroot even though damage may already be done.
2) If the device is bricked completely no way for VZW to tell when you bring it in that its from rooting/over-clocking cus it doesn't start at all.
3) If if it wasn't completely bricked most Verizon employees wouldn't even recognize any signs of modification (superuser, customer recovery, etc) unless they have rooted their own phones.

So you could see why someone may want to protect their design.

OP
E

Elkay

Reaction score
Ok everyone, I have it working. 1200Mhz might be stable, but I haven't had a chance to test it much. It rebooted on me with voltage set at 1.525v (74 vsel), but I haven't had it reboot yet with voltage set at 1.6v (80 vsel). It survived some general use, screen caps, and a Quadrant run. Based on the way I've done this, I should be able to get this running on Froyo for us, too, as long as we can still get root access.

Screenshots

Reaction score
Just bought an i5 760, supposed to come in the mail tomorrow, never OC'd my processor before only GPU (gtx 260) but I'm hoping to hit 3.6 on air, don't want to try any higher because I don't want to mess with voltages just quite yet, seems pretty daunting. Unless you can all re-assure me it's not haha, and ofcourse I'll have my first run at installing a new Mobo as well tomorrow. I wonder if we'll ever be buying custom hardware for our smartphones one day... water cooled Droid X...

LexusBrian400

Reaction score
Ok everyone, I have it working. 1200Mhz might be stable, but I haven't had a chance to test it much. It rebooted on me with voltage set at 1.525v (74 vsel), but I haven't had it reboot yet with voltage set at 1.6v (80 vsel). It survived some general use, screen caps, and a Quadrant run. Based on the way I've done this, I should be able to get this running on Froyo for us, too, as long as we can still get root access.

Screenshots

How are you manipulating the kernel? Sorry, but this just doesn't make any sense to me and I dont buy it.

Are you flashing a new kernel? I've been talking to a few people about this and they just say to take it with a grain of salt.

Some more info would be nice :) Thanks

Hilbe

Reaction score
Are you using the standard overclock module from the milestone or are you using one you modified?

hijackerjack

Reaction score
Modified, won't load otherwise.

Would this possibly have an ETA? LOL.. sorry. Im just getting bored of my Droid X at this point. Im considering a return for a galaxy s when it comes out. Is there anything that needs testing?

Status
Not open for further replies.