Droid X sick already...

timmerz

Reaction score
My Droid X that I got yesterday shut down and won't re-power, got it on the charger and when on/off is pushed a battery comes up on the screen with a question mark in it...wtf did I do wrong, I wonder?

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Sounds like you let the battery completely die...in which case, it wont usually boot back up until it gets a decent charge from the wall outlet. Just plug it in in the off position and wait about an hour or so and then see if it will power back on...

CD95YJ

Reaction score
^^^ what he said. Make sure to use a wall charger too, the usb on your computer is pretty much a trickle charge and wont charge your phone

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
T

timmerz

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses....when I plug it in using the wall charger it comes up with the battery with a question mark in it, and when I hook it to the 'puter with the USB I get a green light in the upper left of the screen, but no activity....which one sounds like it might have a happy ending to you guys??
Take it back...the green light is in the top section to the left of the ear-piece...

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses....when I plug it in using the wall charger it comes up with the battery with a question mark in it, and when I hook it to the 'puter with the USB I get a green light in the upper left of the screen, but no activity....which one sounds like it might have a happy ending to you guys??
Take it back...the green light is in the top section to the left of the ear-piece...
Use the wall charger. The USB connection does charge, but on a completely dead battery, it is best to use the wall charger so that the battery is getting a full load charge.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
I had this problem the other night at work and all I had was usb. It will work, but as soon as your phone powers back up you have to catch it and manually power it back off or it wont keep your phone charging.

I say the wall charger is the best option.

OP
T

timmerz

Reaction score
Yep, I completely get what you guys are saying about wall charger versus usb, BUT....the wall charger may be suspect right now because of the image of a battery I get with a question mark in it....I don't get that using the usb....anybody else seen that image?

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think you get that image using the wall charger because the Droid isn't designed to be powered off while charging, but you don't have enough charge on the battery for it to power up.

If you have ever tried turning your phone off and then plugging it in it will power back up, but right now it cannot do that, hence the image you see.

OP
T

timmerz

Reaction score
Ok, had it on the usb charging for about 15 minutes, and it powered up just like CD95YJ said it would, so I hooked up the wall charger at that point, and it looks like it's gone to sleep, but now I have a red light blinking where the green light from the usb was...think I'm ok? or is this indicative of more problems?
Thanks a mil for the help, you guys!
Tim

CD95YJ

Reaction score
The red light blinks at you when your battery is at 15% or lower, once it charges over 15% the red light should go away.

VolDroid

Reaction score
If you leave it alone and let it actually charge for awhile the red light will go away and turn green. Just leave alone for a bit and let the battery charge up. My wifes X turn red like that when her battery is completely dead. USB charges too slowly for it to have had much of a charge when you disconnected it.

OP
T

timmerz

Reaction score
The red light blinks at you when your battery is at 15% or lower, once it charges over 15% the red light should go away.

I think i'm up a creek here...the screen still showed the "connect the charger" message even after I had plugged the wall charger in, and the red light continued to blink for about 10 minutes, then stopped and the unit turned off and the face displayed the battery with a question mark in it again...

VolDroid

Reaction score
sounds like a bad charger or battery. If the wall charger isn't working but you had atleast gotten some charge from the USB, I'd plug the USB back in and let it sit for a while again and see if you can't a good charge that way. Slower is better than nothing.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Your not up a creek, if it will charge on usb it will charge from the wall. Just be patient, it will be ok. If your that worried its not charging from the wall go back to the usb but as soon as it wakes up you HAVE to power it off manually or it will never charge.

Like I said it is charging on the wall charger.

leonozug

Reaction score
Bottom line...you have to charge the crap out of smartphones!! Keep a car charger handy too. They take a lot of juice, especially a 4.3 inch screen like the X has. :)