Droid X Screen Protector VS Gorilla Glass?

Bennybbc

Reaction score
I'm expecting my new Droid X to be arriving in the next couple of weeks so I'm getting my accessories ordered now. Yesterday I was talking to a guy at a Verizon store about screen protectors, (They had none) and he said he didn't see any need for one for the Droid X. He said it has something called, "Gorilla Glass". I'd never heard of this before so he did a little demo on his own phone.:icon_eek: He took his keys and tried really hard to scratch the $#!^ out of the screen. I was amazed that there was absolutely no visible damage at all. He did say that you could probably scratch it by putting it screen down onto asphalt and sliding your foot on top of it like a skateboard but it's unlikely that anything short of that would hurt it.

My daughter has a Samsung Impression and she always uses a screen protector. The screen got scratched slightly before she got the screen protector so it doesn't appear to be anywhere near as durable as the Droid X.

I've read an awful lot about the Droid X and I've yet to see any mention of this feature. Clearly it is durable enough to survive an attack by a metal key so I would assume there is no need for any sort of screen protector. Or at least no need for one to protect from accidental damage. I realize that some screen protectors help reduce glare. If the Droid X screen is as durable as it appears why should I bother with a screen protector at all? I do plan on getting a case of some sort to protect the rest of the phone if I drop it. Which screen protector reduces glare the best? Is glare a problem with the Droid X screen? Thanks for any input on this.

Bruce

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Original droid, had it since November, no screen protector since January. I'm happy.

Sand in your pocket can scratch it. Glass can scratch it. Drop it and it still can break. Front pocket with nothing else in it? No problems at all.

You can search gorilla glass on youtube for demos of it. Corning makes it. Pretty good stuff that has been around a while but only in use recently really.

xrob513z

Reaction score
i put a screen protector on mine right after i took it out of the box. i put one on because on my touch screen phones in the past i felt as if i wasnt whiping off as many fingerprints. i got the non glare ones from the verizon store and they do the job but makes the screen look sorta hazy but it doesnt bother me..

iHad a G1

Reaction score
I have a steinheil ultra crystal protector, and although i may not need it (it survived a week without one in my jeans and rolling around my dashboard), the peace of mind is worth $15.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
B

Bennybbc

Reaction score
Original droid, had it since November, no screen protector since January. I'm happy.

Sand in your pocket can scratch it. Glass can scratch it. Drop it and it still can break. Front pocket with nothing else in it? No problems at all.

You can search gorilla glass on youtube for demos of it. Corning makes it. Pretty good stuff that has been around a while but only in use recently really.

Thanks for the reply. I watched a few videos about Gorilla Glass and it's really amazing stuff. Amazing enough that I wonder whether or not sand in your pocket would really scratch it. Fortunately I haven't had any sand in my pockets for quite a while so I doubt I'll have to give it the test.:icon_wink: Do you have any first or second hand experience with Gorilla glass being scratched? It is amazing how sand can get anywhere and cause some damage, ( I used to live and work right near a beach and also in a desert) but it would surprise me to hear that loose sand would be able to scratch this stuff. Could be though.

I gotta say that seeing this video Viddler.com - Dell Streak's Gorilla Glass tested - Uploaded by engadget I seriously doubt that any drop that didn't involve violent explosions and fire would do any damage at all. Or at least any drop that would break the Gorilla Glass would break the rest of the phone too regardless of what case it was in. In that video the guy is seriously pounding on the glass with a ball point pen and there's zero damage to the glass.

Here's another video that has a Corning rep briefly explaining what it is. [video=youtube;EOpIfwxgVxY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOpIfwxgVxY"]YouTube - CES 2010 video - Gorilla Glass protects your gadgets[/video] There is a good comparison of different types of glass and how they hold up to the test.

The screen protector on my daughter's Samsung Impression is a must-have item because the screen is vulnerable. I'm not thinking I'll probably only need any sort of protector for glare reduction. And even that is questionable. It will mostly be used inside or hands-free in my car. Thanks again for the reply. I appreciate it.

Bruce

OP
B

Bennybbc

Reaction score
i put a screen protector on mine right after i took it out of the box. i put one on because on my touch screen phones in the past i felt as if i wasnt whiping off as many fingerprints. i got the non glare ones from the verizon store and they do the job but makes the screen look sorta hazy but it doesnt bother me..

Thanks for the info. It sounds like you're trading glare for, "sorta hazy". Have you ever tried any other brands/varieties and if so are they also hazy?

Bruce

OP
B

Bennybbc

Reaction score
I have a steinheil ultra crystal protector, and although i may not need it (it survived a week without one in my jeans and rolling around my dashboard), the peace of mind is worth $15.

Considering the previous post, (Sorta hazy) is there any difference at all in clarity between no screen protector and the Steinheil? Does it reduce glare? After watching the videos about the Gorilla Glass I don't think I'm too concerned with actually damaging the screen but if there's something inexpensive, (They all are) that noticeably reduces glare then I'm interested. I'd definitely rather live with a little glare once in a while than live with a hazy screen all of the time so that's why I'm asking. Thanks.

Bruce

xrob513z

Reaction score

Thanks for the info. It sounds like you're trading glare for, "sorta hazy". Have you ever tried any other brands/varieties and if so are they also hazy?

Bruce
i bought a screen protector that you had to cut to fit from verizon on my last phone and it was clear and also bought screen protectors for my ipod touch from best buy, neither were hazy but neither were non glare either forget the brand). i actually might change it out on my DX sometime but it doesnt effect me now.

baniels

Reaction score
Enough people have managed to scratch their Droid screen that I would not be so confident. I have used the Steinheil Crystal on both my Droid and my Droid X. I do it for the peace of mind, not because I know my screen would otherwise be scratched. It can and does happen. One fellow on here reported a scratch from a metallic gum wrapper in his pocket.

The anti-fingerprint protector, also from Steinheil, gave everything on my Droid screen a slight, but noticeable and thus intolerable, blur.

Considering the previous post, (Sorta hazy) is there any difference at all in clarity between no screen protector and the Steinheil? Does it reduce glare? After watching the videos about the Gorilla Glass I don't think I'm too concerned with actually damaging the screen but if there's something inexpensive, (They all are) that noticeably reduces glare then I'm interested. I'd definitely rather live with a little glare once in a while than live with a hazy screen all of the time so that's why I'm asking. Thanks.

Bruce

dmp135

Reaction score
I posted this over on Motorola in answer to You don't need a screen protector for DROID X and thought I'd share it here as well.

I thought so as well with the gorilla glass information out there and all. It is gorilla glass, correct? I purchased online the 16th and had it in a VZW leather snap case with kickstand but the screen protector was delayed as I was away.
I finally got around to installing it and spotted a small scratch on the glass ;=( It's not life changing but it's upsetting and made me RUN and get something on it as it is obviously a problem for me.

I've had it in my bag in its own compartment. I cannot imagine how it happened other than a bit of grit I did not see or it swiped against the zipper or something else I was unaware of. But if you can scratch keys across it, a zipper swipe should not impact it. Regardless, it did not take much and I am very disappointed in the screen's durability. I've had a Palm TX with no protector since 2006 with no scratches and I take care of my stuff.
I tried a skinomi but it did not install well. I've used Zagg in the past and did not care for the wet application there either.Today I picked up the VZW 3 pack anti-glare as an emergency move but the view is blurry to me and they only cover touch area vs the entire glass. I just wanted to get something on it though. I prefer the dry vs.wet installs though so I am now looking at other options.
It has not even been a month. This is why I have the full insurance protection option as I have a feeling this adventure is going to be a lot different than my old flip phone.
I love the phone itself and all it does but I really thought it was more durable naked than it is.

Which dry application clear protector does everyone favor?

Dorothy

Bullitt6996

Reaction score
Gorilla Glass was developed in 1966 and hasn't seen use until nowabouts. This is more than likely due to the rise of the smart phone and neverending touch screen applications.

tktouch12

Reaction score
i have the droid 1, and it has a lot of little scratches on it. i dont do anything bad to it, just normal use. i dont keep sand in my pockets or anything, but it just ends up with scratches

i dont really care, but i dont have that much faith in gorilla glass

Reaction score
Personally, I protect the whole thing against scratches with a Stealth Guard Protector (I have the Droid 1). Their price is really good at $15 for two full body protectors. It's more of piece of mind for me but I do like these better than the Zagg or Best Skins Ever and the price is killer.

OP
B

Bennybbc

Reaction score
Personally, I protect the whole thing against scratches with a Stealth Guard Protector (I have the Droid 1). Their price is really good at $15 for two full body protectors. It's more of piece of mind for me but I do like these better than the Zagg or Best Skins Ever and the price is killer.

Good price. But from what I can see it doesn't appear to offer any significant amount of impact protection. If I drop my phone onto an asphalt parking lot I'd be more concerned with breaking it in some way than scratching it. But maybe the phones are tougher than I give them credit for. I'd just hate to crack a corner or damage something internally. What I do like about this sort of, "Case" is that it doesn't add to the size of the phone and you can still use a stock cradle.

Bruce

dsteinschneider

Reaction score
I've been buying Boxwave crystal screen protectors for various devices over the years. Once in a while I'll use the VZW ones in a pinch as I did this weekend when I bought the droid x. Mainly because my rep gave me a great discount for any of the accessories. The antiglare isn't bad, I made sure the glass was free of lint/dust and did a perfect job applying it you can barely tell there is a protector. There is a bit of reflection inside the protector (little microscopic dots of color) which I think is part of the antiglare effort. It does look pretty clear in the sun compared to the bare glass but there is the tiniest diminishing of clarity due to the effect mentioned above.