Droid X Gingerbread Wireless Tether Workaround

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
You should be fine, i'm thinking

Hi my name is Domenic and im a DroidForums addict

mtunender

Reaction score
What is wrong with tethering to your computer through the Bluetooth.

mach330

Reaction score
Just tried this on my wife's dx liberty 0.7 worked great.

fireman00

Reaction score
I"m still using easytether. I just had to re-install the drivers on my Ubuntu laptop and viola - here I am.

LexusBrian400

Reaction score
No go for me. Droid X Apex 2.0 GB. Something I found strange as well, I get directed to the page wanting me to buy the $20 package on the computer... but it also directs me to that page when trying to go to a website on my phone, even after wireless tether is turned off. It takes a reboot to get it back to normal.

Same thing happened to me. So... where is the "work around"

JNEHAMA

Reaction score
Some confusion with this. When I enable tether my laptop sees the new wifi hotspot but other smartphones including android ones don't detect it :blink:

I haven't had a chance to check with other devices, but the other day a friend asked if he could use my hotspot for his iPod. I turned on the STOCK hotspot app, no patch or anything installed & he connected & did whatever just fine. I guess since it was a mobile device it thought it was just my phone, no idea. But may be something you could try.

As for me, the only time I ever tether is when traveling.. which isn't very often. So Easytether will be fine for me, charges the phone too :p. It'll be interesting to see how the FCC responds to all of this though dancedroid

I was on Liberty. 7 when I tried it and had the same experience except for the no referral to verizon. Basically it killed my 3G connection and requires reboot to fix. I don't have easy tether. I'll try to find it. Have not tethered in the past. Need it occasionally for the kids itouch in the car.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

LexusBrian400

Reaction score
To get this to work you also need the tether patch that was released awhile back by TBH... although p3 said not to use it... so really its up to you.
I have it installed and tether works great the rare times that I use it (so far only used it to test this workaround)
The only problem is that i have to reboot after i turn tether off, which isn't too mush of a pain (airplane mode wasn't fixing it) hot reboot from liberty toolbox works though.

So.... that old tether patch still works on the Gingerbread radio?

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
ive actually been using this without a problem on my brothers phone without this fix...but then again i only use it for ps3 tethering so i dont get redirected to the verizon page

Jordan8

Reaction score
No go for me. Droid X Apex 2.0 GB. Something I found strange as well, I get directed to the page wanting me to buy the $20 package on the computer... but it also directs me to that page when trying to go to a website on my phone, even after wireless tether is turned off. It takes a reboot to get it back to normal.

Same thing happened to me. So... where is the "work around"

If you're just tethering to a computer & don't really need for it to be wireless I would just use Easytether Pro. It's working without any problems for me. I'm not sure if it's still in the main market, but it's on amazons appstore.

Tune

Reaction score
I have tried many things and could not get this thing to work... Frustrating.

I am on Liberty .7, Rooted, and have been looking for a new solution for Tethering. I only use it once in a while, but when I use it, I need it!

Any step by step directions to get it to work??

I keep getting the Verizon Wireless page wanting me to sign up for their tethering band at $20 extra! Ummm, no.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
So you've tried the wifi tether apk ver 3.0? That doesn't work?

Hi my name is Domenic and im a DroidForums addict

Tune

Reaction score
Idopa, yes.

I installed it and it didn't work, then I shut off my phone and pulled the battery for over a minute and turned it back on again. Tried it and it still failed.

I am on .596 GB, Liberty .7, and a Droid X. The only thing I did not try was the Droid 2 setting. I used the Droid X option since that is the phone I have...

Weird... and frustrating.

StingRay

Reaction score
I selected the Droid-X settings since that's the device that I use. What's even more strange is that according to the app, it worked and was tethering, but in reality I could NOT get a connection to save my life until I rebooted and did a battery pull. Before that, all I would get is Verizon's web page over and over asking for money. None of my bookmarks would work, no android market or anything!!

THIS!

tried on Droid Pro...set to "DroidX" as device and was able to tether my Asus Transformer, but the data connection on my Droid Pro was hijacked....browser went to VZW mobile hotspot pay page and no other data connections would work...rebooted and now good....