Droid X a good used buy?

LoneWolf15

Reaction score
I keep kicking around the idea of a smartphone for the SO. We have an upgrade available on our account, but I'd rather find something used if I can do it for a reasonable cost, and keep the upgrade free.

Her needs aren't much; she's had a beat-up Motorola E815 I bought new seven years ago (because it was well-designed and durable) and couldn't pry from her hands. I just want a phone she can play a couple of basic games on, take some quick-snap pictures with, maybe use for basic GPS mapping/directions. The Droid X is one of the phones I can find used for a reasonable cost (currently see one listed on Craigslist here in good shape for $125), and Verizon/Moto just put out a software update, which is usually a good sign to me.

How has everyone's experiences been with call quality, battery life, the camera, and occasional web use been? Have most of you (I know some haven't, from reading) had a generally stable experience with your phones? Just looking into it; if it has been a rocky experience in general, I can wait until the price of a used Incredible 2 or something like it comes down a little further as new tech comes out, or even swap her to my Droid Bionic this summer.

t35rk

Reaction score
$125 is too much for that phone. You are into 4G price point area. Although a good device, the X is more of a guy's phone anyway. Look into a used Incredible for well under $100.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
There's no such thing as a girls phone or a guys phone. The Droid X is a great device. I still have mine.

For $125 that's a good deal assuming you are getting a good condition phone with battery and back cover as well the USB wall charger and the 16GB SD memory card.

I can see my DROID X lasting another 2 years in the right hands. As mine is in perfect condition and only 15 months old.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

texas200

Reaction score
$125 is too much for that phone. You are into 4G price point area. Although a good device, the X is more of a guy's phone anyway. Look into a used Incredible for well under $100.

What 4G phones are you seeing 4 $125.00???

I think the DroidX is by far the best used phone for the price. It is a great phone and just received an update to fix the few issues that it had.

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx (with plenty of 4g battery power left)

t35rk

Reaction score
What 4G phones are you seeing 4 $125.00???

I think the DroidX is by far the best used phone for the price. It is a great phone and just received an update to fix the few issues that it had.

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx (with plenty of 4g battery power left)

The Charge and the Revolution can both be had for $125 or less. The Thunderbolt can be had for $150 or less. Xs regularly get listed at $100 or less. $125 is too much.

A $75 Incredible is the best used value. Just my opinion of course.

$40 Original Droids aren't bad either. ;)

Reaction score
I bought a DX a couple months ago from a guy who got it as a replacement (new, not CPO). He decided he didn't want it and went with a RAZR on his upgrade. I gave him $100 and I couldn't be happier. Well worth that and more.

t35rk

Reaction score
There's no such thing as a girls phone or a guys phone. The Droid X is a great device. I still have mine.

For $125 that's a good deal assuming you are getting a good condition phone with battery and back cover as well the USB wall charger and the 16GB SD memory card.

I can see my DROID X lasting another 2 years in the right hands. As mine is in perfect condition and only 15 months old.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

HTC Rhyme?

OP
LoneWolf15

LoneWolf15

Reaction score
The Charge and the Revolution can both be had for $125 or less. The Thunderbolt can be had for $150 or less. Xs regularly get listed at $100 or less. $125 is too much.

Note that the key here is "no-strings-attached". I want a phone that I can call Verizon and say "I need to do an ESN change" and just do it, no contract extensions, etc. I have checked Ebay closing prices, and while I'd like to pay a hundred even (if I can offer it), $125 has been a reasonable asking price if the phone is in good shape and has the charger, maybe a basic case.

I don't want a Thunderbolt. I like the metalic casing, but the battery life is horrible. And, the SO doesn't need 4G (and I admit, I'm a little selfish with the data plan, since it will be shared among our phones). I used to administer phones for my previous employer, and my experiences with that phone led me to love the exterior design, and hate the unit's bugginess and battery life issues.

The first Incredible has lousy battery life too, I've had friends and colleagues who owned one; if the SO can't get through a day on a full charge (and remember, the E815 can get through several days on a charge), she'll hate it and tell me to switch her back, plus I want long life in case of emergencies. Most OG Droids have been well-loved; I want something with a little less wear, and a little sleeker. Plus, the OG's CPU is getting a bit slow, and its RAM is less; I want her to have this for awhile, with no rooting, ROM-ing, or overclocking tools (she's not an enthusiast, just a regular everyday user). The Incredible 2 would be my choice if I could find one cheap, but I can't.

As for the Droid Charge, I'm not big on the buttons. The Droid X's physical buttons aren't my first choice either, but the phone is within budget.

t35rk

Reaction score
LW, My Dinc is continually hooked to a charger. That is not the way to go for someone not wanting to baby sit a battery.

The X is a good choice but only for a short while. Turn the SO onto Android and then give her the Maxx!

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I just bought my Charge for $178 in "like new" condition on eBay. I'm loving everything except battery life.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

OP
LoneWolf15

LoneWolf15

Reaction score
That's awesome. Hope it works.

Haven't heard from him, but it has already sold. He has a second one for $200 (above my budget); his account has listed enough phones that I'm kind of curious where they're coming from.

He does have an X2 for $150, but I doubt I'm going to get a call from him.