Droid Turbo vs Nexus 6

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Would you rather have a Droid Turbo or Nexus 6? Thoughts?

jfriend33

Reaction score
Nexus 6 on verizon all the way baby... That would be super sweet. Then I could ditch my Nexus 7 2013

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Wow, only one reply so far. Well, I'll be #2.

The Nexus 6 would be awesome on the Verizon Motorola platform. However, I've not owned a Phablet and I don't think I would enjoy carrying it around and using it as a phone. Don't get me wrong...the larger screen and form factor is appealing but only as a supplemental device, not my main phone. The new Turbo's physical size is getting to be about the largest I would want a full-time phone to be. 5.2" as a screen size is about the largest I would want in a full-time phone. (My Droid MAXX is a 5" screen so see below for comparison purposes - they use a Sony phone but the effect is the same).

I could see myself owning a Nexus 6 but I woudn't pay for data and only use it on WIFI. Since I can WIFI Tether for free (thank you Moto X, 1st Gen), I would have no need for the 4G. I already own a Nook HD though, and do that with it so I don't see myself going Nexus. The Droid Turbo has quickly risen to the top, and is floating a good margin above the other phones so far, including the Sony Xperia.

jfriend33

Reaction score
I really would prefer lapdock support on the Droid. The lapdock 100 and 500 were an awesome attempt with the bionic, atrix, razr maxx, and Droid 4.

The mobile processors could handle this. Imagine one device. Functions as phone, tablet, laptop, even desktop, then media TV pc. Batteries in each conversion like padfone. I'd love it.

Verizon probably would be having a conniption but whatever.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I really would prefer lapdock support on the Droid. The lapdock 100 and 500 were an awesome attempt with the bionic, atrix, razr maxx, and Droid 4.

The mobile processors could handle this. Imagine one device. Functions as phone, tablet, laptop, even desktop, then media TV pc. Batteries in each conversion like padfone. I'd love it.

Verizon probably would be having a conniption but whatever.

There's a whole underground for that device and you can get them on eBay cheap. I believe virtually any phone can be adapted, but I am thinking that with Bluetooth and Wireless HDMI that this can be easily replicated with a battery operated HDMI display and a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse combination for even greater flexibility.

jfriend33

Reaction score
There's a whole underground for that device and you can get them on eBay cheap. I believe virtually any phone can be adapted, but I am thinking that with Bluetooth and Wireless HDMI that this can be easily replicated with a battery operated HDMI display and a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse combination for even greater flexibility.
Yup! I even was able to score 2 Atrix Lapdock s from Radio Shack for under 10 bucks a piece last March. I was able to modify the connections on both of them to work with a Razr Maxx and RAZR MAXX HD. I am afraid and too cheap to buy a miracast adapter and the extension cables to even make it work with the Droid Maxx. And who's to say it would even work at all with the Droid turbo.

The manufacturers are capable of making this work. We need to demand it lol.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Wow, 10 bucks! Damn. That's awesome. They're going about $30-$50 each on ebay right now. I wouldn't mind giving one a try and see if it would work with the MAXX. I would also be interested to see if it worked with the Turbo. I have a Chromecast and wonder if it would work with that too. I was considering finding a good deal on one and just getting it to play with.

jfriend33

Reaction score
There's a few threads on xda referencing the lapdock functionality

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Now that we have the official specs on the Nexus 6 and know that it's coming to Verizon, I'd choose the Nexus 6.

One thing that could potentially sway me to the Turbo is the camera. More megapixels don't mean a better camera (especially since the Nexus 6 will have OIS and a sensor that's on paper slightly better than the one found in the 2014 X), but I'll be curious to see how the two stack up against each other.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Now that we have the official specs on the Nexus 6 and know that it's coming to Verizon, I'd choose the Nexus 6.

One thing that could potentially sway me to the Turbo is the camera. More megapixels don't mean a better camera (especially since the Nexus 6 will have OIS and a sensor that's on paper slightly better than the one found in the 2014 X), but I'll be curious to see how the two stack up against each other.
I am thinking nexus as well ..but 6 inch screen is a big phone..if the camera is any better I may go turbo. I do like some of the moto actions though . ( don't know if nexus will have or not . guessing not ) i know a little about both phones .I really think it gonna require a lot of research and playing with them .

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
It will all come down to software features. If the Turbo comes with some cool USABLE software features (need hands on and/or demo to determine. Feature LISTS don't do it for me) I'd go with the Droid Turbo. Not a fan of 'stock' Android

Last edited:

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This will be tough decision

19psi

Reaction score
just found out about the turbo coming out and it piqued my interest as i'm ready for something new. however, it's not big enough. I've had a Note3 for a year and I love the size of it, so I guess i'm still going for the Nexus6.

Only drawback of the nexus is that the battery is not removeable from what I hear. I have a huge 10000maH extended battery on my note3 and i love it. I can't kill it in day to day use and it's so nice to not worry aobut having a charger everywhere i go. it's like teh old days with basic flip phones.

I'm just happy Motorola is comning out iwth some high end phones again because imo they are just better than samsung, esp. the radio's.