Droid Rooting - A few questions

EvanJO

Reaction score
I've owned a a Motorola droid for about a year now and I absolutely love my phone. I'm not very picky but I like being able to surf the web and check my e-mail and all that good stuff, however, I would like to root my phone.

I'm no tech-retard. In fact, I have a very solid understanding of Linux and have worked with it for a number of years in my private life, and seeing as how there is a very comprehensive guide on these very forums to rooting my phone, I doubt I will have a problem with the process.

But I was wondering - What exactly are the benefits to rooting my phone? I know I get a lot more control over it (one of the reasons I'm going to root it), but what exactly can I do with that power? Someone told me I can rid the phone of a lot of the manufacturer bloat and drastically increase battery life/speed, but how would I go about doing that?

If anyone has any guides or wisdom they would like to share, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Evan.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
you can install root apps that will let you over or underclock your cpu, take screenshots, back up app data etc

the biggest thing with a droid 1 though is all of the roms (custom firmwares) available to you. you can totally change the look feel and performance of your phone.

OP
E

EvanJO

Reaction score
Do you know of a reliable source for Droid 1 ROMS?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
this site has a great droid roms section with dedicated sub sections for each of the developers. browse around there and each sub section wil usually have a sticky thread with the most up to date release. each release thread will usually have screenshots, changelogs and install instructions.

OP
E

EvanJO

Reaction score
this site has a great droid roms section with dedicated sub sections for each of the developers. browse around there and each sub section wil usually have a sticky thread with the most up to date release. each release thread will usually have screenshots, changelogs and install instructions.

Ah, I must have missed it. Thanks buddy.

OP
E

EvanJO

Reaction score
Well I'm happy to report that I successfully rooted my phone and installed the GPA14 Gingerbread release. Worked great.

Next question is regarding processor speeds. Right now, according to this app I installed (No Frills CPU Controller, if there is a better one just let me know) my processor is at 600mhz. I'd imagine that's fast enough but...how high can I push it without causing problems?

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
That's something you will have to find out on your own. Each cpu can handle different speeds differently. For example, my d2g can handle up to 1.37 ghz but my moms can only go to 1.24 ghz (don't think the OG droid can go above 1 ghz but the example still works).

Sent from my Liberated D2G

geoff5093

Reaction score
Well I'm happy to report that I successfully rooted my phone and installed the GPA14 Gingerbread release. Worked great.

Next question is regarding processor speeds. Right now, according to this app I installed (No Frills CPU Controller, if there is a better one just let me know) my processor is at 600mhz. I'd imagine that's fast enough but...how high can I push it without causing problems?
I had my Droid 1 up to 1100MHz with custom kernels, although I preferred to run either 800 or 1000MHz kernels. I would look into purchasing SetCPU, it's a great app.