rooting

xoluvsdance12

Reaction score
i keep hearing about people rooting their phones and how much they love it and stuff. i was just wondering what the benefits are of rooting? the main reason i wanted to root my phone was for froyo but its coming out in a few days anyway so i don't have to worry about that anymore. what other benefits are there? also, do you have to be really smart to root your phone? i'm pretty good with computers and stuff and i don't think the actual rooting procedure will be a problem but once your phone is rooted, in order to do things (like overclock and underclock the phone) do you have to be really smart? or is it self explanatory?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
But it doesn't really mean you have to "stop asking" that's just stuck in the thread title :)

OP
X

xoluvsdance12

Reaction score
thanks but that doesn't really help...i guess what i'm asking is do you have to be some supersmart genius to root or can the average joe be successful too?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's very easy if you can follow directions.
^ This.

IMO, you also need to be able to take the initiative (e.g. search to read up on rooting and related topics) and know how to fish for yourself. There is a section dedicated to hacking/rooting/mods/etc with a ton of info that is only useful if you actually make use of it. ;)

No one starts out as an expert in rooting Android devices.

OP
X

xoluvsdance12

Reaction score
ok thanks everyone i'll do a little more research before i decide to root my phone but i think im 100% sure im going to try it eventually

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Lately I've been sending folks to post 13 of a certain thread, the first link in my signature. That covers what you need to do to root your phone and get Android 2.2 on it. It comes down to only a few simple steps but it is good to learn and know what is going on at each step because sometimes the unexpected happens. Just like with pretty much everything else in life.

MonochromeDisco

Reaction score
I'm going to check out your root post, Christim. I'm deathly afraid of rooting and yeah... But all I really want from FroYo is Flash and some wifi tethering, though the first matters the most, more than the latter. Plus, I've been hearing about folks having trouble with the wifi tethering, so that's why I don't want to root. I mean, imagine me, a 19 year old who doesn't know squat about ROMs and junk, rooting his phone, just to have the very reason he did so, break up in his face, haha.

Also, the rumored 2.2 OTA did not happen today... God, I really want to root but like mentioned ^, I'm scared.