quesrions on rooting the droid for wifi hotspot?

endoftheline

Reaction score
I'm thinking of rooting my moto Droid dancedroid. The main reason I want to root it is to create a wifi hotspots on my Droid to share with my xoom. Has anyone tried this and knows if it would work?

Also what exactly does the rooting do? Would the phone still have the regular Google 2.2.1 os afterwards? Will all my apps still work and can I still use official Google services and apps after the root and sync Gmail and contacts etc?

I see the guide in this forum on rooting is that still the best guide to use to root the phone? I guess I'm looking for more detailed FAQ to what happens to the Droid after it's rooted and what other rootingptions are out there

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of rooting my moto Droid dancedroid. The main reason I want to root it is to create a wifi hotspots on my Droid to share with my xoom. Has anyone tried this and knows if it would work?

Also what exactly does the rooting do? Would the phone still have the regular Google 2.2.1 os afterwards? Will all my apps still work and can I still use official Google services and apps after the root and sync Gmail and contacts etc?

I see the guide in this forum on rooting is that still the best guide to use to root the phone? I guess I'm looking for more detailed FAQ to what happens to the Droid after it's rooted and what other rootingptions are out there

Should work -- there's another thread around here that explains rooting, but it's no different than using your phone at an administrator level.

Everything else about your phone will remain the same, you're simply adding functionality.

The guides should still be up to date, and they're your best resource.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not sure if the Xoom can see an ad hoc network, but the VZW app should provide infrastructure mode.....

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Xoom will not see it. The Droid 1 produces an ad-hoc wireless connection. Xoom does not connect to ad-hoc.

Sent from my GimpDroid (Installed by RZR).

OP
E

endoftheline

Reaction score
Xoom will not see it. The Droid 1 produces an ad-hoc wireless connection. Xoom does not connect to ad-hoc.

Ah I see, is there anyway to tether my Droid 1 to my zoom then? I have pdanet app for normal USB tethering, would that work via USB to a rooted zoom perhaps? I hear zoom gets USB host if u root it

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not quite sure. Hopefully someone can chime in.

djembeman

Reaction score
What about newer phones with wifi hotspots?

Does anyone know if the Droid 2, Droid X or upcoming 4G phones would put out a wifi signal that the Xoom can connect to?

bendystrawboy

Reaction score
you can share your 3g with bluetooth using the wireless app, droid life had a walk through so just ignore the misinformation supplied by those folks.

brewsters

Reaction score
i just rooted my droid 1 this morning and I can wireless tether wi-fi to my ipad 1 with no problems "yet". I used the super one click to root. i don't see why the xoom wouldn't work, my ipad looked for a wi-fi signal just like a router.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i just rooted my droid 1 this morning and I can wireless tether wi-fi to my ipad 1 with no problems "yet". I used the super one click to root. i don't see why the xoom wouldn't work, my ipad looked for a wi-fi signal just like a router.

Its just the Xoom. It wont connect to an adhoc network.

djembeman

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Droid 2, Droid X or upcoming 4G phones would put out a wifi signal that the Xoom can connect to?

Update: I'm pretty sure they will, because I was looking at an HTC Thunderbolt yesterday and I tethered its 3g connection to my Droid 1. For a limited time Wireless Hotspot tethering is free on the Thunderbolt. It ends some time in May. Kind of a cheap trick if you ask me. How many people will read the fine print? I heard that there is a work around to get free wifi tethering without rooting on the Droid X. Some app in the market and toggling wifi on and off.

brewsters

Reaction score

Its just the Xoom. It wont connect to an adhoc network.

I gotcha now. sorry i guess i should read the whole thing next time!!