Droid RAZR vs HTC Rezound - Benchmark Tests

WestOkid

Reaction score
I had a little beef with a friend at work that said the RAZR was much slower than the Rezound. I am sure he came to this conclusion because of the 1.5 GHZ dual core processor of the Rezound vs the 1.2 GHZ on the RAZR. Well I found this video to set him straight. I thought it would be cool to share it with the forum. Both are obviously cutting edge, but RAZR won on almost every major benchmark vs Rezound. It also references several other phones so its worth a look to get a feel for how they all stack up.

Motorola Droid RAZR vs HTC Rezound - Benchmark Tests (Verizon) - YouTube

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I had a little beef with a friend at work that said the RAZR was much slower than the Rezound. I am sure he came to this conclusion because of the 1.5 GHZ dual core processor of the Rezound vs the 1.2 GHZ on the RAZR. Well I found this video to set him straight. I thought it would be cool to share it with the forum. Both are obviously cutting edge, but RAZR won on almost every major benchmark vs Rezound. It also references several other phones so its worth a look to get a feel for how they all stack up.

Motorola Droid RAZR vs HTC Rezound - Benchmark Tests (Verizon) - YouTube

Pitting the OMAP processor against the Qualcomm it's not surprising that the OMAP wins that battle, even with a slower clock speed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

JeffDenver

Reaction score
The Razr is not really faster...it has a dramatically lower resolution than the Rezound. The higher score is because it is pushing a lot fewer pixels in those tests.

That has always been a problem with quadrant. It is never really an Apples to Apples comparison unless the displays are the same resolution.

OP
WestOkid

WestOkid

Reaction score
Granted it's not apples to apples, but that does not explain several computational losses. In fact, the Rezound won most of the graphics tests due to the RAZRs older gpu but still lost overall scores because of the older less efficient processor.

Sent from my Sexy DROID RAZR using Taptalk

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Resolution does make a difference. If you ran the Razr's CPU using HD resolutions, the score would be a lot different.

This came up years ago when people were wondering why the iPhone 3Gs was benching almost as good as the Droid 1. Resolution turned out to be the answer. The Droid was pushing almost 4 times(!) as many pixels.

BullysonRazor

Reaction score
It seems the Razr has a deeper color than the rezound ...because that black is not that dark on the rebound.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
That is a trait of all AMOLED screens. They all have deep blacks. No LCD display can match them on that. That's the main reason I have always liked them.

Their only real weakness is Color reproduction. The best LCD displays have more accurate Color reproduction than any of the current AMOLED displays. Even the Droid 1 has superior Color reproduction (though the Droid 1 had an unusually good display for it's time anyway).

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
That is a trait of all AMOLED screens. They all have deep blacks. No LCD display can match them on that. That's the main reason I have always liked them.

Their only real weakness is Color reproduction. The best LCD displays have more accurate Color reproduction than any of the current AMOLED displays. Even the Droid 1 has superior Color reproduction (though the Droid 1 had an unusually good display for it's time anyway).

Everything said above is 100% spot on. I did find an app that does a pretty good job of offsetting the color inaccuracies in the RAZR but it takes some playing around to get the right mix. It's called Screen Adjuster and what it does is add a factoring number to the displayed screen colors to bring them in line with more accurate representation. I did a side by side with my Droid 2 (same display as the Droid 1) and was able to bring up the Blue and Red enough to counteract the excess Green and get to a near perfect White and better flesh tones. It still doesn't match the D1 or D2 for color accuracy and White but with its better color saturation it really pops.

It doesn't allow negatives so you can't turn down Green but by boosting Red and Blue by about 15 each it gets pretty close. I'm waiting for Laser displays to make it to these devices. Then all the discussion about color, contrast, brightness and accuracy will likely nearly completely disappear. ;-)

OP
WestOkid

WestOkid

Reaction score
Resolution does make a difference. If you ran the Razr's CPU using HD resolutions, the score would be a lot different.

This came up years ago when people were wondering why the iPhone 3Gs was benching almost as good as the Droid 1. Resolution turned out to be the answer. The Droid was pushing almost 4 times(!) as many pixels.

I think you need to look at the video. Screen rendering is just a small part of benchmarking. You must own a Rezound so you are biased because:

CPU integer, CPU floating point, RAM, sd card read and write, database I/O. have nothing to do with the screen and the RAZR soundly whipped the Rezound.

Sent from my Sexy DROID RAZR using Taptalk

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Everything said above is 100% spot on. I did find an app that does a pretty good job of offsetting the color inaccuracies in the RAZR but it takes some playing around to get the right mix. It's called Screen Adjuster and what it does is add a factoring number to the displayed screen colors to bring them in line with more accurate representation. I did a side by side with my Droid 2 (same display as the Droid 1) and was able to bring up the Blue and Red enough to counteract the excess Green and get to a near perfect White and better flesh tones. It still doesn't match the D1 or D2 for color accuracy and White but with its better color saturation it really pops.
I've seen claims from Razr Maxx owners that the color balance is much better in the Maxx version.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I've seen claims from Razr Maxx owners that the color balance is much better in the Maxx version.

Funny, I saw a side by side comparison on a YouTube video and the MAXX actually looked greener than the RAZR.

I want to see it for myself and compare mine against a new MAXX.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
It probably just better phones. Some ppl reported getting better phones with the RAZR as far as color. I personally think better Q/A needs to be done with all these phones. Some things get missed obviously.