Droid razr max charger

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I've gotta tell you razr folk...if you don't have a p893 get one...$40 will literally keep your phone at 20-30% at body temp for hours while streaming/surfing..moto p893 portable power pack rules

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

LOL! Yeah, I have one too and it's thin, light, and works beautifully. Imagine that...something made for a specific purpose, and used for that purpose as intended, likewise resulting in expected performance. What a concept!

kellygh5

Reaction score
Kelly,

Any "damage" you could possibly do to the battery by using the other chargers mentioned is simply that they may not have completely saturated the battery during charge yet the meter thinks the battery was full on one or more of those charge cycles, so now when you hit "100%", you may actually be only at 85% for instance. This would result in the phone "seemingly" losing power quicker than normal and if you tend to get nervous about charging before the "low battery" indicator pops up, it would appear that you aren't getting the same run time as before.

The fact is you likely did absolutely no damage to the battery and also no irreparable "damage" to the charging and metering circuit. The simple fix is exactly what you are doing now, except that you should start by charging to 100% with power off FIRST>>>THEN drain to 15%, and repeat charge to 100% with power off. As described and illustrated in www.batteryuniversity.com, The phone looks for the high flag level first, then the low flag level is set when it hits 15%, and then the high flag is set when it hits 100% the second time.

If you don't do the first saturation charge with power off to 100%, it will ignore the new low flag at 15% and you won't accomplish your goal on that discharge cycle. Then when you charge to 100% afterwards, it would start looking for the 15% low point after that first 100% charge. If you never get there, the low flag won't be set and the high flag won't be set either. Result...the problem wouldn't go away.

No matter where you are in charge level, always start this process with a 100% charge with power off first, then the discharge cycle, followed by a repeat of the charge cycle to 100% with power off and you can't go wrong.

Good luck!

Thank you, FoxKat! I charged to 100% w/ power off, drained to 15%, and back to 100% again last night w/ power off. Today will be my 2nd cycle. I'm going to keep using the G'Nex charger unless I'm told otherwise. Appreciate the link to batteryuniversity. Wow. I've never given much thought to chargers until now. I have been reading various Android forums for almost a year, and I have never read a thread about the importance of using the right charger/ins & outs of the battery process. Great info & help :)

OP
B

Brad91

Reaction score
What is it again?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

altspeed

Reaction score
Dallas, Lone Star Republic, North America, Terra
Motorola P893 portable power pack, its a little USB/micro portable charger/external battery. About the size of a D1, about as thick as a bionic, active charger circuitry, integrated 3 1/2" micro cable. You can either use it to charge your phone from almost dead (which I call 10% and below) up to about 80% or plug it in when you phone is about 30%, and it will literally stay between 25 and 30%, right at body heat, while streaming AND surfing for 2+ hours. Very cool little thingamajig/doohickey.

mgrande

Reaction score
Ok so I was able to read the thread and have a question. If the actual plug uses a separate usb cable, can I use a longer micro usb cable with the oem plug? Would it still have the same output as the all oem set up?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
mgrande said:
Ok so I was able to read the thread and have a question. If the actual plug uses a separate usb cable, can I use a longer micro usb cable with the oem plug? Would it still have the same output as the all oem set up?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Wow, excellent question! I wonder the same thing. Is it the plug that controls the amp output or is it the usb cable that does? It would be nice to get a longer usb cable and not worry that there will be a problem.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

brucefulton

Reaction score
Wow, excellent question! I wonder the same thing. Is it the plug that controls the amp output or is it the usb cable that does? It would be nice to get a longer usb cable and not worry that there will be a problem.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums
MicroUSB cables are standard. Any quality cable will work. I got a 6-footer from Amazon to replace the pitifully short cable that comes with the phone. For that matter, any quality USB charger will work. The voltage is standard. Differences are in current output. The OEM chargers that come with the phone are 750-850ma, usually. The USB port on your computer typically will not put out that much current, nor will some car power adapters, so they may not charge as quickly, or may not charge at all while the phone is in use. However, beware of overly cheap chargers and cheap cables. If they are poorly made, they may not meet specs.

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
MicroUSB cables are standard. Any quality cable will work. I got a 6-footer from Amazon to replace the pitifully short cable that comes with the phone. For that matter, any quality USB charger will work. The voltage is standard. Differences are in current output. The OEM chargers that come with the phone are 750-850ma, usually. The USB port on your computer typically will not put out that much current, nor will some car power adapters, so they may not charge as quickly, or may not charge at all while the phone is in use. However, beware of overly cheap chargers and cheap cables. If they are poorly made, they may not meet specs.

I'll agree on the cables, but not the wall warts. The one that came with my Maxx is 750, whereas the old one from my D1 is 850. No way am I going to take the chance of plugging my shiny new Maxx into an 850 and trusting that it won't overdraw - not worth the risk. I'd trust a Moto charger that's below my OEM charger amperage, but never one that's higher.

RicKaysen

Reaction score
I don't get why people don't want to use the charger they get with their maxx. People are constantly asking this question. What's the big deal to swap out the chargers?

Sent from my DROID RAZR

I don't like it because the USB cable is simply too short. Often it's not long enough to reach from a socket to a desk or night stand.

brucefulton

Reaction score
I'll agree on the cables, but not the wall warts. The one that came with my Maxx is 750, whereas the old one from my D1 is 850. No way am I going to take the chance of plugging my shiny new Maxx into an 850 and trusting that it won't overdraw - not worth the risk. I'd trust a Moto charger that's below my OEM charger amperage, but never one that's higher.
Suit yourself. Motorola makes several universal chargers of varying current rating that are razr compatible (for example, the p833 and p933). The key factor is voltage, not current, for Li type batteries, and that's managed by the charging circuitry on the phone. I'm using the Moto charger (fmp5504a universal charger, 850 ma moto oem) from the dock of my previous phone because I need more than one charger (home and office), and it works fine with the Razr Maxx. The difference between 750 and 850 is negligible and the circuitry on the battery regulates current draw and voltage. USB voltage is a standard 5 to 5.1 volts; the internal circuitry on the phone steps it down. The rating of the charger is the max it can deliver, but the actual draw is limited by the circuitry on the phone as part of the charge cycle. See All About Battery Chargers and also Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries. Moto advises against using non-moto chargers (product liability no doubt), but I'm fine with using the moto charger from my last phone. And the charger my local Verizon store sells for the car dock isn't even a Moto.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P

altspeed

Reaction score
Dallas, Lone Star Republic, North America, Terra
My current go bag, which sees almost daily use, contains a moto dual usb wall adapter, 3 moto usb to micro cables (pair and spare), my p893, and a spare micro sd çontaining the 902 fxz, the 905 ota, a full TiBU of my 905 install, and the 2233 ics leak, and a cd with rsdlite and the most current moto drivers in 32/64 for windows.