Buying additional chargers -- are these safe?

altjx

Reaction score
I remember hearing about if you buy the wrong type of chargers (i.e. other than OEM), there's a chance that it could potentially affect the battery performance/life, so before I make a purchase on Amazon, I've pulled up some chargers by Motorola... The thing is though, Motorola's prices on Amazon are significantly cheaper than they have it listed on their own website.

So basically, I'm wondering if these on Amazon are safe for my DROID RAZR MAXX. Here they are:

Amazon.com: Motorola Vehicle Power Adapter micro-USB Rapid Rate Charger: Cell Phones & Accessories
Amazon.com: OEM Motorola SPN5689A Dual Port Universal Wall Charger for Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX XT916 / XT913, Admiral / PAX XT603, Atrix 2, DROID RAZR XT912 /HD, Photon 4G, Triumph WX435, Theory WX430, Titanium i1x, i412, XPRT, Droid X2, Clutch + i4
Amazon.com: OEM Motorola ECOMOTO Micro USB Data Cable for Motorola Droid RARZ, RAZR Maxx, Droid 3, Droid 4, Photon 4G, Droid Bionic, Atrix 4G, Atrix 2, and Motorola Droid Xyboard 8.2 & 10.1 - Bulk Packaging: Cell Phones & Accessories

Thankss!

Chukee

Reaction score
As long as its a micro usb yes but you are going to get people saying other wise so its up to you to decide. I have used generic chargers with my razr maxx with no issues.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I remember hearing about if you buy the wrong type of chargers (i.e. other than OEM), there's a chance that it could potentially affect the battery performance/life, so before I make a purchase on Amazon, I've pulled up some chargers by Motorola... The thing is though, Motorola's prices on Amazon are significantly cheaper than they have it listed on their own website.

So basically, I'm wondering if these on Amazon are safe for my DROID RAZR MAXX. Here they are:

Amazon.com: Motorola Vehicle Power Adapter micro-USB Rapid Rate Charger: Cell Phones & Accessories
Amazon.com: OEM Motorola SPN5689A Dual Port Universal Wall Charger for Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX XT916 / XT913, Admiral / PAX XT603, Atrix 2, DROID RAZR XT912 /HD, Photon 4G, Triumph WX435, Theory WX430, Titanium i1x, i412, XPRT, Droid X2, Clutch + i4
Amazon.com: OEM Motorola ECOMOTO Micro USB Data Cable for Motorola Droid RARZ, RAZR Maxx, Droid 3, Droid 4, Photon 4G, Droid Bionic, Atrix 4G, Atrix 2, and Motorola Droid Xyboard 8.2 & 10.1 - Bulk Packaging: Cell Phones & Accessories

Thankss!

Yes, they are all approved or manufactured by Motorola and so would be safe to use. The 2nd and 3rd actually mention RAZR/MAXX, so you're good to go. My biggest concern is whether they are manufactured with attention to the quality and accuracy of voltages and well regulated or not. It's easy to convert one voltage to another or to convert AC to DC, but to get them clean and well regulated is no small task The circuitry inside the Motorola converters is far more intense and complicated than any others I've seen and just goes to show you how concerned they are about feeding the equipment with the best quality power.

Power quality translates to components that run cool and stress-free, which then translates to far lower failure rate.

Glad someone is paying attention! Good work and good research! There are others who could learn a thing or two from you!:hail:

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score
Thanks all! I'm glad I was on the right track. I went ahead and purchased the items and can't wait for them to come in.

ricks

Reaction score
They look OEM to me. I would buy them myself if I needed them. Great prices compared to what Verizon charges. When I bought my maxx, they asked me if I wanted the car charger and I showed them the great prices I can pay online and they got pissed.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
I do not miss the day when Every phone came with its own proprietary charger. PIA new accessories every time.
I have had 4-5 droid X,X2,Razr,Maxx NOW I have a lot of chargers laying around.

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score
They look OEM to me. I would buy them myself if I needed them. Great prices compared to what Verizon charges. When I bought my maxx, they asked me if I wanted the car charger and I showed them the great prices I can pay online and they got pissed.

Yep, and two of the orders just came in. Works pretty good. I was curious one day and went into Verizon to see the prices myself, and had an employee try convincing me that the $29.99 car charger and the $29.99 wall socket + data cable was better than the $15 on Amazon for both, lol.

I do not miss the day when Every phone came with its own proprietary charger. PIA new accessories every time.
I have had 4-5 droid X,X2,Razr,Maxx NOW I have a lot of chargers laying around.

Damn man. If you don't mind me asking, how are you going from all of them? Are you paying an ETF for each Motorola device, or are you able to sell the old and buy the new at retail price?

I personally would love to get the Droid Fighter when it comes out and actually wouldn't mind paying another 100-200 (plus the profit from selling MAXX) for it, but 350 ETF would kick my ass.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2.

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score
We'll now that I think of it, there would be no ETF. But do you sell your old and buy the new at retail price?

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Many a story has gone along with them. Let's say Verizon and I know and understand each other very well. As for the "Fighter" I dunno, I had little reservation in going with the Maxx, I say little (not zero) after analyzing what I need and like in a phone - unless surprises come.....an HD screen, 13mp camera and ICS which will come anyway to the Maxx didn't sway me.
More to a camera than just mp's (Higher # doesn't always mean a better camera) the HD screen with same battery, well just take a look at your Battery usage now and see where display falls on you chart, HD will use more.

To clarify:
Maybe.....when the Fighter comes out the HD screen when compared side-by-side to the current Maxx will be noticeably "better" maybe.
I ask, How many of us walk around with two phones in our pocket in order to pull them out and say, "Look! this is different"
Secondly, Mega Pixels is part real and a bigger part Marketing. How better to upsell to the next best latest greatest than to create a ferver expressed in larger numbers? Mega Pixels serve that, after 5-7 mp's you already have what you need (more than you need) current Maxx or razr has 8mp. More than enough.
So, other than the "Jones factor" jumping with, it is much about nothing as it sits now but who knows if we have all the info. on what it will bring to the party.

Last edited: