Droid Pro experiences traveling about the world

bjwheeler

Reaction score
I agree. Call back and talk to a different person. I just called and didn't have any trouble getting my unlock code. Select the option for Technical Support when you call.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

Freak4Dell

Reaction score
I've been using the Droid Pro in the UK for the past 4 months with no problems. Battery life does suck, but the device is pretty powerful, and I usually keep WiFi on, so that's to be expected. I might pick up an extended battery over the summer, but we'll see.

On the T-Mobile network, the phone works great. I was with 3 for a couple of months, and it was downright horrible. I don't know whether it's a phone compatibility issue (shouldn't be, since the Pro works like any other GSM phone) or just their network, but I would not recommend 3 at all if you're looking for a network to use in the UK. The coverage sucks, the data speeds suck, and the customer service sucks. With T-Mobile, though, everything is fine. Voice is clear, data is quick, and phone works exactly as it should.

I've actually never used the Pro in the States, as I don't have Verizon back home, so I can't compare GSM vs. CDMA performance.

cabandab

Reaction score
Calling the Us

Ok, I've read through the thread it it seems the sim card is the way to go. I checked out a few of the US calling rates and it looks like it's only .10 a minute. Is this correct? The sim card seems like a great deal but I am still a little unsure. What about skype or a prepaid phone once in europe?

robi72

Reaction score
I have the opposite doubt: I live in Europe and use an unlocked Verizon DP with a local sim card. What to do when I'll need to go to USA ?

Freak4Dell

Reaction score
I have the opposite doubt: I live in Europe and use an unlocked Verizon DP with a local sim card. What to do when I'll need to go to USA ?

You'll need to do the band unlock, and then get a prepaid SIM from either AT&T or T-Mobile, or one of the AT&T MVNOs. If you need fast data, you'll need to choose AT&T or an AT&T MVNO, because the Pro doesn't support the correct bands for T-Mobile 3G.

aiamuzz

Reaction score
Hi guys ... a few probing questions about our droid pro ...

While in US on verizon ... do u guys have a CDMA SIM installed on ur Droid Pro's or are ur devices programmed to access Verizon's network without a CDMA SIM?

If ur phones are programmed to handle Verizon's network then When u people are travelling and have installed a local GSM SIM of that location into ur phones ... is ur verizon connection active ... i mean do ur phones ring if someone called ur Verizon number from back home ... Also is ur international GSM SIM active in this state for incoming calls, text & data simultaneously with active CDMA ?

--- Sent from my DROID Pro ---

Freak4Dell

Reaction score
There is no SIM card for CDMA. Verizon activates the phone based on the ESN.

When travelling, if you use a local SIM card from the place you're travelling to, the phone will only get calls to the number of that SIM card. If you use a Verizon world SIM card, you can get calls to your Verizon number, but the roaming charges are extremely high.

Without doing the band unlock hack, the GSM portion of the phone does not work at all in the United States. Even with the band unlock, as far as I know, the phone cannot use both the GSM and the CDMA radios simultaneously, so only one connection would be active at any time.

aiamuzz

Reaction score
Thnx for clearing that off me ...

--- Sent from my DROID Pro ---

aiamuzz

Reaction score
Eureka, Eureka, Eureka ...

There is no SIM card for CDMA. Verizon activates the phone based on the ESN.

When travelling, if you use a local SIM card from the place you're travelling to, the phone will only get calls to the number of that SIM card. If you use a Verizon world SIM card, you can get calls to your Verizon number, but the roaming charges are extremely high.

thanks for the information so far ... Basically i wanted to know if our DP will work as the new Iphone 4S which is a Global phone as well(One can load a CDMA SIM as well as GSM SIM on an Iphone 4S) ...

@Freak4Dell ... As per what you just said ... Verizon gives you a Global SIM when you are travelling abroad ... i am guessing for sure that is a CDMA SIM card ...

Does this Global SIM have your same Verizon number attached to it ??? ... then i may be right ...

So our DP is indeed similar to the Iphone 4S ... reason i suspect this is because back at my place(India), I tried loading a CDMA SIM (OMH SIM) to my DP ... and guess what !!! ... the phone did connect to the CDMA operator (with the network bars showing full signal strength) and i was directed to a screen which asked me to activate ... on attempting to activate ... i was connected to the operators instructions(IVR) ... however the instructions did not successfully activate my CDMA connection even after following them as advised ... anyway one thing is confirmed ...

The SIM CARD slot of our DP is wired to the CDMA hardware(CDMA radios) as well (just like the Iphone 4S) ... that's great news ... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just hoping ... i will be able to successfully activate my CDMA network as well on my DP ....

I need a small favor from you guys in the US having a verizon connection on your DP's ... Can you check for sure with your customer service If you can use a CDMA(OMH SIM) of the region you may travel to (eg. INDIA) and use the phone without issues ? Is there any additional unlocking that needs to be done seperately for the CDMA(OMH) SIM or the GSM unlocking is sufficient for CDMA(OMH) SIM as well.

thanks in advance

Last edited:

Freak4Dell

Reaction score
The Global SIM card that Verizon gives you is a GSM SIM card.

In the U.S., we don't use the OMH system for CDMA. Network settings are tied to the phone itself, rather than a SIM card.

I don't have Verizon service, so I can't call them for you.

aiamuzz

Reaction score
The Global SIM card that Verizon gives you is a GSM SIM card.

In the U.S., we don't use the OMH system for CDMA. Network settings are tied to the phone itself, rather than a SIM card.

I don't have Verizon service, so I can't call them for you.

thanks ... i am hoping someone with an active Verizon account could call and confirm the fact in bold from my above last post ...