Droid is a bit slow/choppy

wade1

Reaction score
hardly any applications installed on my phone and it's pretty choppy when opening my keyboard and it rotates, half of the screen turns black and it just looks choppy. doesn't seem like it should be like this. anything i can do?

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
A stock Droid isn't the smoothest/fastest thing around...it's likely not something wrong on your end.

OP
W

wade1

Reaction score
"stock droid" are you suggesting to root it? and it will be quicker?

GottiWarbucks

Reaction score
Well honestly i am running a out of box stock moto droid and i have15 full lenght blu ray ripped movies pics and music on my mem card and a hell of alot of apps on it running 5 screen helixlauncher and my phone run fast where i thought it may have been secretly OC right now my internal mem is 111MBs but may i suggest clearing the cache on ur apps and downloading advanced task killer and learning how to use it trust me it really works and helps thats all i can think that would be slowing u down

DigiK

Reaction score
...all i can think that would be slowing u down

Meh, you can try a home replacement app like Launcher Pro to massage it a bit, but stock droids really aren't that snappy even with free extra memory. I would definitely suggest rooting and trying out a Froyo 2.2 ROM which benefits from performance improvements with the new Just-In-Time Compiler. Additionally, you'll be able to overclock your CPU; try 1Ghz to start with a P3 Droid kernel. If you have a lucky Droid and might be able to run up to 1.2. Anything in that range basically doubles performance: like having a completely new phone.

Start here but skip step 2, read 'Other Info' and see below.: Guide to Rooting Android 2.1 on a Motorola Droid - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

After you've achieved root, install Rom Manager from market, flash Clockwork recovery within the app, download Pete's Bugless Beast and check the 'system backup' 'wipe' options when asked. It's really quite quick and easy at this point, and it's very easy to revert to stock if you ever need to return your droid. Droids are unbrickable.

Have fun! :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
^+1

I had decided to root so I could overclock the Droid with 2.1 and found out that Froyo was available so I moved up to it. Before rooting it I had noticed that my phone was sluggish. Remember, the stock Droids only run up to 550 mhz. I've been playing around with the kernels and current using Chevy1's 1.1Ghz with Bugless Beast 0.4 and I absolutely love it. You can either root it and overclock it or you can keep it stock. It's all up to you.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
i suggest clearing the cache on ur apps and downloading advanced task killer and learning how to use it trust me it really works and helps thats all i can think that would be slowing u down

And there are those of Us that will say a task killer is the last thing you need.

2guys1droid

Reaction score
Making your phone run quickly is a problem we just addressed in one of our recent posts on our Droid blog which you can find here: 2 Guys 1 Droid. Read the post about ATK. Hope this helps. Enjoy!

2guys1droid

Reaction score
I dont understand how it kills our credibility... as a short fix killing processes will make the phone run faster as the processor is able to allocate more power to the tasks you are asking it to perform rather than to those running in the background ie apps you have run but havent closed