droid hot spot speed vs iphone

anderld47

Reaction score
We live in the country and as yet do not have high speed access. Sat would only increase our download speed while uploading would remain the same, so my wife and I have just stuck with the dialup. Using mac notebooks that have the old power pc chips I was not able to tether using an 8338 Blackberry or my original Droid. Our carrier is Verizon. Recently my wife was eligible for a new phone so she got the iphone (she had the BB 8330). Her iphone has the hotspot feature and compared to our dialup the 3G hotspot is like fiber optics.

My original droid started screwing up so Assurion sent me a rebuild. After replacing the replacement with two other rebuilt Droid 1s they sent me a brand new Droid 2 Global. I activated the hotspot but am less than happy with its function. It seems slow when compared to my wife's phone. I've tried going back and forth between using the Droid hotspot and my wife's iphone and I can download a wmv file 4 to 8 times faster on my wife's iphone. Both have recently updated roaming.

I've had a Droid for two years now and do very well with it. I enjoy the system and the apps I use on a regular basis.

Any insight or suggestions?

JohnnyS101

Reaction score
I have the droid 3 and the hotspot is great. The dual core makes it run smooth making me get about 2mb/s on my laptop.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
A

anderld47

Reaction score
Thanks JohnnyS101. Yeah, maybe it's just the processor. I'm due for an upgrade on my Droid 1, I was just hoping to save some money since the insurance sent me the new 2 Global. Who's your carrier?

JohnnyS101

Reaction score
Yeah the droid line up, such as the droid 1-3, the x's, the charge and the upcoming bionic and is verizon.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Hmong_Xiong

Reaction score
@anderld47
U should wait for the bionic...

[ ] Motorola Droid: Latest Miui
[X] Motorola Xoom: Stock Root 3.2
[ ] Apple iPhone 3G: RedSn0w Jailbreak
Tapatalk

OP
A

anderld47

Reaction score
since I won't be in an area covered by 4g (northern calif boonies) what does the bionic have to offer for me?