Droid Bionic vs Verizon iPhone 4

Bloodkip

Reaction score
Everybody LOVES the iPhone. You and me are not the average people. Average people don't care what phone they have, as long it's made by Apple. People will buy Apple products because of the brand name.
[video=youtube;dikaQjMO388]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dikaQjMO388&feature=related]YouTube - New iPhone 4 Futurama Spoof[/video]

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
As an Android guy, I love android, but you gotta be realistic about some things. The IPhone has some advantages over android. And honestly, it will probably have the same advantages over the Bionic. One, the ios is a smoother, and more elegant os than Android. Its not even debatable. The iPhone 4 has the sharpest screen, and that will continue for all of 2011 at least. It also takes better pictures and video, as was shown in many many examples. Then, the iPhone has a lot more apps, and apps with higher quality than android does....again not debatable. And to be honest....the iPhone is more of a phone. " that just works" than Android. Less random rebooted, freezes, force closes, etc. This stuff again is not debatable.....and have you all ever seen an android phone with the ultra premium build quality of the iPhone 4? I sure haven't. We really need to stop being so delusional and stop the hate talk against the Iphone. My favorite is definitely Android because of customization, and the fact that Android does EVERYTHING that I want it to do.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

First, you're right, smart phones would be where they are without the iPhone. Plain and simple. Second, the iPhone is a great device. Again, it's numbers and users speak for itself.... however... some of your points that are "not debatable" are in fact.

Smoother OS, yes, the iPhone currently is, but more elegant? That is debatable. Depends what you personally like.

Sharpest screen? This is HIGHLY debatable. No knock on any device here, but it's not set in stone.

Apps, yes iPhone has more and more refined apps, but they do not have any where near the amount of FREE apps like Android... some of which (ie Angry Birds) are free on Android and pay on iPhone. So it's a give and take. Still an iOS advantage as it stands now.

"Just works"? ... except for the minor antenna problem. :icon_eek:

Random reboots, FC's, freezes? These aren't typical, at least not for me. Obviously Android doesn't have the refinement (or time in development) that iOS has had... so it's going to have hiccups.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, as you were civil in your post and I tried to be in my reply... just it's open to interpretation as what's best on some topics.

briankeith513

Reaction score
As an Android guy, I love android, but you gotta be realistic about some things. The IPhone has some advantages over android. And honestly, it will probably have the same advantages over the Bionic. One, the ios is a smoother, and more elegant os than Android. Its not even debatable. The iPhone 4 has the sharpest screen, and that will continue for all of 2011 at least. It also takes better pictures and video, as was shown in many many examples. Then, the iPhone has a lot more apps, and apps with higher quality than android does....again not debatable. And to be honest....the iPhone is more of a phone. " that just works" than Android. Less random rebooted, freezes, force closes, etc. This stuff again is not debatable.....and have you all ever seen an android phone with the ultra premium build quality of the iPhone 4? I sure haven't. We really need to stop being so delusional and stop the hate talk against the Iphone. My favorite is definitely Android because of customization, and the fact that Android does EVERYTHING that I want it to do.

First, you're right, smart phones would be where they are without the iPhone. Plain and simple. Second, the iPhone is a great device. Again, it's numbers and users speak for itself.... however... some of your points that are "not debatable" are in fact.

Smoother OS, yes, the iPhone currently is, but more elegant? That is debatable. Depends what you personally like.

Sharpest screen? This is HIGHLY debatable. No knock on any device here, but it's not set in stone.

Apps, yes iPhone has more and more refined apps, but they do not have any where near the amount of FREE apps like Android... some of which (ie Angry Birds) are free on Android and pay on iPhone. So it's a give and take. Still an iOS advantage as it stands now.

Random reboots, FC's, freezes? These aren't typical, at least not for me. Obviously Android doesn't have the refinement (or time in development) that iOS has had... so it's going to have hiccups.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, as you were civil in your post and I tried to be in my reply... just it's open to interpretation as what's best on some topics.

Sharpest screen based on resolution. Not debatable. Name an android device that has a resolution as high as iPhone 4. And "just works".....and yes force closes and freezes are very typical of the android is, as are other issues that the iPhone doesn't have. This is a generally known thing. Its funny that you say "I'm not trying to give you a hard time", yet you try to deny the Iphone's screen which is the highest on any phone in the world. And you are one of the very few android users that haven't seen these flaws with android os. See, I see both pros and cons of both android and ios. But, it appears you went out of your way to disprove android disadvantages, and u were wrong.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score

Sharpest screen based on resolution. Not debatable. Name an android device that has a resolution as high as iPhone 4. And "just works".....and yes force closes and freezes are very typical of the android is, as are other issues that the iPhone doesn't have. This is a generally known thing. Its funny that you say "I'm not trying to give you a hard time", yet you try to deny the Iphone's screen which is the highest on any phone in the world. And you are one of the very few android users that haven't seen these flaws with android os. See, I see both pros and cons of both android and ios. But, it appears you went out of your way to disprove android disadvantages, and u were wrong.

That Chinese phone, Meizu:
Meizu M9: Android 2.2, 960×640 Pixel Screen, October | Android Phone Fans

And with the Bionic and Atrix both being 960x540...cmon...lol. (yea I know even if they were the same screen res as the iPhone 4, the iPhone 4 would still look sharper just cuz the screen is smaller. It is nice to have the screen res they have on a bigger screen tho.)

Just read thu this section:
iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting - MacRumors Forums

Plus he gave a major example: the antenna issue. There is no way in the world that "just works".

And I agree with Martin about some of what u said being debatable. One example is the scrolling on the iPhone and Android. Two different ways of scrolling. Thats debatable about which is better. If I had a folder with lots of files in it, I like that one flick can have me at the end of the list on Android. iOS has a flick, stop, flick, stop thing going on.

And like I mentioned at another site, saying if it wasnt for Apple there would be no Android....I say it a matter of perspective.

How about looking at it like this: if there was no Win Mo, Black Berry, Palm smartphones phones, and Microsoft tablets ...there would be no iPhone, iPad. How about looking at it like those companies pushed Apple to come out with something different, better. All those phones used resistive screens in the beginning. If Apple woulda been the first to try to make a smartphone, there is no guarantee they woulda went with capacitive screens first. (IMO one big thing that hurt Win Mo is they took too long to use capacitive screens.)

Last edited:

mrcold

Reaction score
I think you just hit the nail on the head. You'd have to be an idiot to buy an iPhone 4 right now. I can not compete with any of the phones being released. Plus the iPhone 5 is coming out soon (early summer?). But they will probably sell like hotcakes. Sheeple will be sheeples.

Wow. So, my wife uses Salon Transcripts, a Mac only software package for salon management, to run her business. She uses her iPhone to interface with the software and do things like schedule future appointments, check her schedule, monitor sales and enter client notes including color formulations. She's currently rocking an iPhone 3 and has been waiting patiently to get the hell out of AT&T, but I guess she's an idiot for jumping to big red, right?

There are many kinds of idiots I guess, including fanboys whose dogma prevents them from making rational purchasing decisions.

I hate to be a d*ckhole, but another kind of idiot is one who comes to DROIDforums.net to talk about Android fanbois and rub his sniz while talking about the iphone.

Some people want to have more control over their phone. I've had this talk numerous times with a friend who worships the iphone. If you want a product that runs flawlessly and is simple, but dictates the way you do everything, then enjoy your iphone. If you want to be able to modify, customize, or alter the way your phone looks and operates, knowing that you can F it up if you go beyond your level of knowledge, get an Android phone.

Personally, I'll never own an iphone or Mac. Not because I don't feel they're quality products, but because of the f-tards who worship Macs and iphones.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Everybody LOVES the iPhone. You and me are not the average people. Average people don't care what phone they have, as long it's made by Apple. People will buy Apple products because of the brand name.
YouTube - New iPhone 4 Futurama Spoof

[video=youtube;VMl_71dqeR8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMl_71dqeR8[/video]

maslan

Reaction score
Also i read recently an article about all the apps. It said like 70% of iPhone apps are paid apps where 70% of Android apps are free apps. This is huge to me. I know lots of iphone guys who have paid tons for the apps they have - but i have many of the same ones for free. Just sayin.

iphone is great phone - no doubt. But with all the better hardware (dual core for example) and network coming (LTE) - android is current way to go. Also very doubtful Verizon will get i5 when it comes out in summer - more likely not until next year - but who knows.

BlackOtaku

Reaction score
I'll be honest; if the iPhone was on Verizon when I was getting the Voyager, I would've gotten the iPhone. Since then I learned a little when my iPod froze and I had to take it into an Apple Store. Sure they helped me, but that would've been solved earlier with a battery pull.

While I'm glad the iPhone is now available on Verizon, it's not my phone of choice.

I completely agree. My choice is Droiiiiid! However, all of the Iphone hate is ridiculous. Give credit where credit is due. Without the IPhone, there would be no Droiddddddd.

I agree to an extent; Android was in the works already under Android Inc., probably before or around the same time Apple announced the first iPhone. That being said, it'd probably have taken Android much longer to reach where it is now without the iPhone, judging on this:
450px-Android_mobile_phone_platform_early_device.jpg

Raptor007

Reaction score
Its not really hate for the iPwn so much as its the fanatic, fanboy, overhyped by tech journalists who will ignore all other news because Jobs is a god to them.

Its a very solid piece of hardware on a Very $&&NG network and they are about to get bent over for it. I can say this as a former iPhone 4 user, as a Mac user who has started, stopped, restarted and again stopped listening to MacBreak Weekly Podcast because all you hear (and yes its a Mac Podcast) is how perfect Apple is and how everyone else is a failure. Well They ignore the clear failures of Apple time and again while glowing over Apple.

Android also has its fanatics and detractors, but the fanatics are based on technical merit, in the world of Apple, I have actually heard tech journalists say, "Its better than anything else, when asked why, they reply it just is, its Apple" So because its Apple its perfect, not by a long shot, sad.

Now my wife will be getting an iPhone 4 again, she has no interest in technology at all, zippo, nada. What I found when she had an ATT iPhone was she actually used it, played games, watched movies, and sent her first txt msg to me and read her emails. Android is just as simple to use, but she already has iPhone apps so its an easy transition and it makes my life easier.

I honestly feel neither camp, nor OS is better than the other, BUT, they do force each other to keep innovating and pushing for new technologies. My parting comment is Steve Jobs should get a #%$#! life, lay off the expresso and recognize the world is NOT going to bow to his will and he has competition kicking his arse.

I don't hate apple, I embrace the parts I want, I ignore those I don't and accept its not for everyone. When asked about phones and technology I give end users my honest opinion based on research, real world experience and my personal uses. If I think the iPhone will fit their need better I will suggest they get one, at least now I can say it with a straight face because it is on the best network, FINALLY!

prenedo

Reaction score
Iphones are very 'hackable' and there's a larger app store available... I bring these topics up because all apps are free on the iphone if you know what I mean (if not read up on the stuff you can do with a hacked iphone). Resolution is high, but it's no amoled..... ios is much smoother, as stated before, not as many force closes and lags as a lot of Droid devices. There's pros and cons for both phones, but apple wins with there app store on a hacked iphone...

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

Aram58

Reaction score
I feel like us Verizon customers are kinda getting cheated a little.. Verizon gets bionic att gets atrix, similar phones, but the atrix is better. if it's not one thing its another.

Sent from my pe4.1Droid using DroidForums App

Possibly part of the reason apple was able to get out of the 2012 contract with att?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Aram58

Reaction score
Iphones are very 'hackable' and there's a larger app store available... I bring these topics up because all apps are free on the iphone if you know what I mean (if not read up on the stuff you can do with a hacked iphone). Resolution is high, but it's no amoled..... ios is much smoother, as stated before, not as many force closes and lags as a lot of Droid devices. There's pros and cons for both phones, but apple wins with there app store on a hacked iphone...

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

Yea solid argument. Stealing apps really gives devs an incentive to improve.

You can steal apps on android without "hacking" it but android users are honest and iphone users are not. (too much of a generalization? Haha)

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
^^ I'd assume they weren't held to it because they want to continue having Apple products.
Steve Jobs "we're going to bring the iPhone 4 to Verizon"
AT&T "but...... "
Steve Jobs "BUT WHAT!?!"
AT&T "good idea Mr Jobs"
Steve Jobs "now stick out your hands. I need to throw up"

Jacobh06

Reaction score
So... I'm still stuck even with all of these opinions.

My Current Setup:
I currently still own the original DROID which I can't wait to get rid of. I can't stand how slow it is to process anything even just to bring up the keypad to make a phone call, yet check through & reply to email. I have rooted it and un-rooted it in order to find a stable setting as you never know when it's going to work properly or not.

My hopes and intentions:
I would like something STABLE. I would like something faster. I use a boat load of applications and would hate to lose them or have to pay for most of them. I am also missing applications that are only on the iPhone currently.

Thoughts & Other Info:
I need to get a phone no later than March, so waiting for the iPhone5 may be out of the question. The iPhone is STABLE and works just fine as it stands, while the problem of most apps costing money. The Droid Bionic may be much faster and I won't have the slow response time which I currently HATE on my droid. Most Apps are free or I've already paid for the ones that I needed or wanted. Downfall of being open-sourced OS which could still cause many problems.

I just don't know which one to get, but I need to make a decision. There are pros and cons of both... I even asked my friend whom had the iPhone4 and then switched to the DroidX and he off the bat recommended iPhone because it was Stable.

Thoughts and Concerns?

BlackOtaku

Reaction score
So... I'm still stuck even with all of these opinions.

My Current Setup:
I currently still own the original DROID which I can't wait to get rid of. I can't stand how slow it is to process anything even just to bring up the keypad to make a phone call, yet check through & reply to email. I have rooted it and un-rooted it in order to find a stable setting as you never know when it's going to work properly or not.

My hopes and intentions:
I would like something STABLE. I would like something faster. I use a boat load of applications and would hate to lose them or have to pay for most of them. I am also missing applications that are only on the iPhone currently.

Thoughts & Other Info:
I need to get a phone no later than March, so waiting for the iPhone5 may be out of the question. The iPhone is STABLE and works just fine as it stands, while the problem of most apps costing money. The Droid Bionic may be much faster and I won't have the slow response time which I currently HATE on my droid. Most Apps are free or I've already paid for the ones that I needed or wanted. Downfall of being open-sourced OS which could still cause many problems.

I just don't know which one to get, but I need to make a decision. There are pros and cons of both... I even asked my friend whom had the iPhone4 and then switched to the DroidX and he off the bat recommended iPhone because it was Stable.

Thoughts and Concerns?

Really can't offer a full opinion (hard to gauge the stability of unreleased phones :p), but here's a couple thoughts:

No later than March: Then your choice is really just between the Thunderbolt and i4. The Bionic won't be out by then unless we get really lucky.

Downfall of Open Source: What downfall? Certainly you don't mean stability; the most stable applications and OSes are open source; that's why most servers and mission critical computers run Linux/some variant of BSD. Even iOS/OSX are built on and use some open source components.

On stability: Once again, really not much of a way to know about stability until it comes out, but from my experience with the NS, a relatively new phone, it's fast and pretty stable. The Droid 1 also was snappier and had better stability once I flashed Bugless Beast v0.6.1.

Personal opinion: I'd get the Thunderbolt (definitely Bionic if waiting were an option though). Especially if you plan to do some traveling; then you can take advantage of 4G LTE where available.