Droid And T9 Predictive Text

souljerr

Reaction score
Yea I agree... Just like windows Vista came out after Windows XP and that was soooo much better.

T9 is just easier when you need to use one hand and want to type just as fast with one hand as with 2, while not even looking either.

I mean sure Windows Vista... I mean a Qwerty keyboard where you need 2 hands to type... or a t9 touch pad where you can just fly through with one hand on the phone and one hand sipping a bottle a bottle of water... hmmm lets think what's better.

Many other phones have this capability. The droid should too, without a doubt. It's everybody who is too set in their ways to learn something more advanced and a little more complicated like T9 which is probably the reason they did not include it.

Learn something new, it might make your life a whole lot easier.

I've already done the t9 thing - didn't like it - want a keyboard. "Learn something new" Been there, done that and didn't like it.

missegg

Reaction score
I'm sure you'll be able to get a t9 visual keyboard. It's Android, I wouldn't worry too much.

Reaction score
i loved t9 on my pearl back in the day. As for your question, it CAN have t9. I dotn know if it comes stock, but i saw a video the other day and on android you can install different keyboards, one of the being t9 if you want it...may take a little research, but looked pretty simple to do. Basically an app in the app store plus dling the language for the keyboard.

gg7aph

Reaction score
Hi,
so I have my new Droid. I'm using the touch screen T9 method to type out texts and emails etc. However, it appears the the dictionary only pops up suggestions with the FIRST of the three letters per key. For exmaple if I wnat to type 'be' I hit 2 then 3. However, it only picks ups the 'a' on the 2 key and suggests words beginning with 'a'. In order to get to suggestions beginning with 'b' I must do a long hold on 2, select 'b' and then it will make suggestions beginning with 'b'.

Please help. This totally spoils the experience!

Reaction score
Droid T-9

So the Droid market place has a few apps but the ones i've downloaded are t-9 only, they do not have word mode or predictive text included with them, nore do they store commonly used words in your dictionary. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my phone but think its a little silly they have qwerty in upright/landscape an on the physical keyboard.

SOMEONE PLEASE FIND ME AN APP THAT HAS t-9/word/predictive text. I came from the LG Dare and text so much faster that way. qwerty is starting to frustrate me.

Thanks!

OP
P

phaze3131

Reaction score
I use better keyboard but it doesn't store words in my dictionary and really sucks for t9 like pretty bad.

I'm not sure how people even use qwerty it is 10 times slower and you still need 2 hands like are you kidding me.

djhicks

Reaction score
T9 Word

apparently it does not have the vertical t9 predictive text in the phone as Leakdroid.com has said, they have a test unit.

"The Droid on-screen keyboard is the stock Android on-screen keyboard, so it only has the full-QWERTY mode unfortunately."

This really sucks I'm not sure how anyone is ok with this? You can use one hand using t9 just as fast as using 2 hands using the QWERTY style.

I totally agree! I've used to T9 forever and can fly with it! I'm not sure if I'd ever get used to the QWERTY keyboard. I looked at both the HTC-Droid and the Motorola-Droid today and the HTC-Droid did in fact have T9 but the sales person I talked to looked the Motorola-Droid and said it did not. Unless she just couldn't find the setting for it. I liked both and I'm ready to upgrade but not sure which one I'll go with. The only differences between the two, according to the sales chick, is: the HTC-Droid doesn't have voice turn by turn direction capabilities, (GPS) no flash with the camera, and only a 8GB built in memory card campared to the 16GB with the Motorola-Droid. Hope this helps. Decisions, decisions......

djhicks

Reaction score
Me too! Love T9! I've used LG forever and currently have a Voyager but I'm ready to upgrade. I looked at both the HTC-Droid and Motorola Droid today and the HTC-Droid DOES have T9 Word cause I used it. However, according to the sales associate the Motorola-Droid does not unless she couldn't find the setting for it. I think I'll go with the HTC just for the T9. Don't think I'll ever get used to that darn keyboard!

djhicks

Reaction score
So the Droid market place has a few apps but the ones i've downloaded are t-9 only, they do not have word mode or predictive text included with them, nore do they store commonly used words in your dictionary. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my phone but think its a little silly they have qwerty in upright/landscape an on the physical keyboard.

SOMEONE PLEASE FIND ME AN APP THAT HAS t-9/word/predictive text. I came from the LG Dare and text so much faster that way. qwerty is starting to frustrate me.

Thanks!
Me too! Love T9! I've used LG forever and currently have a Voyager but I'm ready to upgrade. I looked at both the HTC-Droid and Motorola Droid today and the HTC-Droid DOES have T9 Word cause I used it. However, according to the sales associate the Motorola-Droid does not unless she couldn't find the setting for it. I think I'll go with the HTC just for the T9. Don't think I'll ever get used to that darn keyboard!

DrankenB

Reaction score
I Agree with the poster, T9 is the way to go. 10 buttons and one finger or 30 and two. I can type around 60 wpm on t9. No way is that achievable with a tiny qwerty and big thumbs.

jonbar87

Reaction score
After you install it you have to enable it under language and keyboard settings. Then in any dialogue box press and hold and select input method. Then select numberpad keyboard

Last edited:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
After you install it you have to enable it under language and keyboard settings. Then in any dialogue box press and hold and select input method. Then select numberpad keyboard

Handcent T9? You sure?
No setting for T9 in Handcent...
Menu > Settings > language & keyboard? not seeing a setting for T9.... and when holding dialogue box only "android keyboard" is an option.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I can't see a need for T9 on the Droid but I don't see why people who want it shouldn't have it as an option. There are already some keyboard apps out there so I wouldn't be surprised to see a solution soon.

It surprises me how many people can't see past their own preferences. If you prefer T9 great. If you prefer qwerty great. Why shouldn't there be more options?