Droid And T9 Predictive Text

rothenbj

Reaction score
The only scenario I can think of where youd need one hand typing is when your driving, and you shouldnt be doing that anyways.

That's not necessarily true. I've spend the last couple hours reading these threads and trying to find a keyboard that would work with an application I have that requires entering UPC codes. You need two hands- one for the item and one for the phone.

Another reason for a one hand keypad, one for the phone and one for your drink.

Darn it.......... No hands left to drive with, perhaps the knees:)

OP
P

phaze3131

Reaction score
OP

I am the original poster and sadly months later we are no closer to t9 than when I first posted. Better Keyboard still doesn't understand what t9 is and I wish they would just understand, because their app has the capabilities.

OP
P

phaze3131

Reaction score
Well i don't know about you but i can type about 200 times faster with a full qwerty vs t9. It's merely what people are used to doing.

Uh no, t9 was out way before a qwerty keyboard on a mobile device so you are wrong sir.

and we are not saying do t9 over qwerty we are just saying we need the functionality in addition to t9 so I'm not even sure why you guys are posting in this thread.

creslin287

Reaction score
I am the original poster and sadly months later we are no closer to t9 than when I first posted. Better Keyboard still doesn't understand what t9 is and I wish they would just understand, because their app has the capabilities.

Hey,

Sorry to intrude on your forums (I personally only have the Nexus One, since I'm on T-Mobile), but I'm the author of the EvenBetter (Numberpad) Keyboard, and I think it's gotten to the point where it's a pretty good T9 style keyboard, if you're still looking for one. I obviously am pretty happy with it, and it seems like there's a lot of other people that like it a lot too :) Anyways, if you're looking for one, it might be worth trying out.

Matt

arty2hottie

Reaction score

Just downloaded the htc ime keyboard ported to droid from droid life and it has an option for t9. The down side is you cant use it in landscape mode but you do get predictive text on the hardware keyboard and that is freakin awesome. The portrait mode blows the stock portrait keyboard away and I love the predictive text on the hardware qwerty. You guys got to give this a try. I still have sype but lately I have been sticking with this one.
http://www.droid-life.com/2010/03/06/new-htc-ime-keyboard-for-motorola-droid-2/
There is the link and love droid life. Kellex is the man.

Last edited:
OP
P

phaze3131

Reaction score

Just downloaded the htc ime keyboard ported to droid from droid life and it has an option for t9. The down side is you cant use it in landscape mode but you do get predictive text on the hardware keyboard and that is freakin awesome. The portrait mode blows the stock portrait keyboard away and I love the predictive text on the hardware qwerty. You guys got to give this a try. I still have sype but lately I have been sticking with this one.
htc ime keyboard ported to droid | droid life: a motorola droid blog

Hey thanks for the post but I cannot find the t9 option at all in the settings. Where do you see it at? Thanks!

jdritzer

Reaction score
language&keyboard>touch input setting>keyboard types>phone keypad

that will give you t9

lockman

Reaction score
Yay, another keyboard!?!
Actually, it's pretty cool. Not sure if it's any better than stock, but I'm going to give it a try.

arty2hottie

Reaction score

htc ime keyboard ported to droid | droid life: a motorola droid blog

Hey thanks for the post but I cannot find the t9 option at all in the settings. Where do you see it at? Thanks!

No prob. I love it and still use it a lot. Plus they just came out with a newer version yesturday so you can use this keyboard in landscape mode.
Jdritzer gave you the way to get it to t9. When you are in T9 and go to landscape mode its just the htc keyboard which I think is better than the stock one. Also there is an option for compact keyboard which I think is like the one for the blackberry storm models.
All in all I think its a pretty good option and when you get board of it just touch and hold where the text will go and you can switch to a different input method like stock or sype. Pretty awesome

arty2hottie

Reaction score

that will give you t9

There is no keyboard types in any options that I see

Go into your phone settings.
Scroll down to language and keyboard an touch that.

Now it will say text settings followed by Android Keyboard, then Android Keyboard settings. Next will be Sype if you have it and then Touch Input and Touch Input settings.
Go into Touch Input settings. The first option you should see is Keyboard types. When you touch keyboard types a box should pop up with
Qwerty
Phone Keypad
Compact Qwerty
Touch the Phone Keypad option which is what you are looking for T9.

Let me know if you find it.

OP
P

phaze3131

Reaction score

that will give you t9

Now it will say text settings followed by Android Keyboard, then Android Keyboard settings. Next will be Sype if you have it and then Touch Input and Touch Input settings.
Go into Touch Input settings. The first option you should see is Keyboard types. When you touch keyboard types a box should pop up with
Qwerty
Phone Keypad
Compact Qwerty

good god, turn it in landscape, its missing the option lol I just rotated the phone and saw it haha I was like going nuts like you are either drunk or high cause its not there, thanks man I'm going to try it out now.

arty2hottie

Reaction score

Qwerty
Phone Keypad
Compact Qwerty

good god, turn it in landscape, its missing the option lol I just rotated the phone and saw it haha I was like going nuts like you are either drunk or high cause its not there, thanks man I'm going to try it out now.

No wonder you couldn't find it. Why the heck does it take that option away in landscape? Well good to know. Let me know what you think of the t9 and dont forget you get predictive text with your pull out keyboard now. I think you have to turn that on first in the options.

lockman

Reaction score
Been texting with this keyboard all day, and I didn't realize how much I missed T9. May never use Swype again.