Droid 4 Utility Updated

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
If you are on ICS leak now and want to move to a different one, then check out this new tool posted here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-4-hacks/217255-droid-4-utility-ics-only.html

You can use this to restore stock Gingerbread if you are on a modified GB or to go from one ICS to another.

This is the original D4 tool with additions created by others and repackaged-edited by me.

UPDATE NOTICE: If you downloaded the tool on 06/20 from about 10pm eastern till noon the next day the script was an old version. It is correct now. Just download again.

06/22 9 AM Eastern - updated superuser binary to most recent version.
06/23 12:30 PM Eastern - updated links for 6.16.213 (thanks again droidian1441)
06/25 10:30 PM Eastern - Revised script, that includes a data save option for restoring GB and the best change. The flashing of the GB files and the ICS Kernel to jump from one ICS to another is now all in one. Removed the push file to sdcard (some thought you could do this after you started flashing the system).
06/30 11 Am Eastern - Add new download link with all the files.

07/01 10:30 Eastern - Updated Superuser (3.1.3) + binary and VoodooRootKeeper (2.0.3) to latest versions. Update ICS root for Dan Rosenburg's root script, this will install superuser and busybox. The other root method didn't seem to install busybox in proper location and resulted in some malfunctions of root only apps. If you installed the previous root script, use voodoo to temporary unroot, then uninstall superuser. Run the new script and you should be good. Note on the latest version of superuser scroll to the left for the update binary menu. Also contains a temporary unroot and OTA protect root.

Some users have reported driver trouble especially after moving to ICS and trying to root.
Go here to get the driver update tools: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_detail/a_id/78460/p/30,6720,8302
Some have reported that the USB utility didn't fix there trouble and had to download motocast, which downloaded new drivers.

Thanks again to 1898trouble07 (see a couple of posts down) for the data save tip.

I am on longer putting a full version out. It was was just too big to maintain updates. Everything you need is here. You just have to download a few things and move around a couple of files.

First read this entire post at least twice, skipping any step will be BAD!. Then download everything you need for this.

1. All downloads are listed here:
Dev-Host - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

Other download links below.

1. Get the Tool Here: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BywuYGr-7VrYcURLSjQ5V29pYk0
or here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/132a5i038luy4vu/Droid4withICSfix-rootLITE%20%283%29.zip
or here: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BywuYGr-7VrYSXV2N2N3cTBoQW8

This is a double zip extract until you see the .bat file and a "files" folder. Double click the script to run the tool.

2. Get the GB 219 Fastboot files here: http://sbf.droid-developers.org/cdma_maserati/VRZ_XT894_6.5.1-167_DR4-1_M1-219_1FF_01.xml.zip
or here: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BywuYGr-7VrYcWswcF91MkxkODA

3. If you are just restoring GB this is all you need. Extract the fastboot zip files and copy them to "files" folder of the tool.

If you are just restoring GB, rooted and running the data save option...It might mess up your root. I don't really know for sure. It will erase the superuser binary and the backup if you are running the rootkeeper, but should keep superuser installed. Therefore you may be in a half rooted stuck state and running the root again may not work. I don't have a phone on GB to test this out. To be extra cautious you may want to run the unroot, restore GB then root again. Let me know what you experience and I can update the post.

If you want to go to ICS and are on GB. Then download (see item one below) the D4213 and put it on your external sdcard Boot to recovery and flash from external. You don't have to be rooted. but if you are the easy way to keep root is to use voodoo's rootkeeper. Protect root, temporarily unroot, reroot, flash the ota, then restore root. If you mess up just use the tool to run the ICS root.

If you are moving from one ICS to another keep reading. Downloading the following two files.

1. Get the ICS OTA currently 6.16.213 ICS here: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BywuYGr-7VrYUjVSanRzaTZ5alU
This is a double zip to open until you see the folder named D4213, then copy this file to the external sdcard of your phone.

2. Get the matching Kernel 6.16.213 (boot.img) here: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BywuYGr-7VrYT1J0VFBCY1NBM2M
Unzip this folder and copy the boot.img to the "files" folder of the tool. It must be named "ICSFIX" for the tool to work.

If you are going from one ICS to another this is the basic procedure. This uses a fair amount of your pc resources. Don't have a bunch of other programs running. Set the phone to MTP for USB and be sure debugging is on (system setting, developer options).

Be sure you charge your battery first. This is a long process be patient. You will get several errors (INFO validation type) if you are on ICS and flash the GB files. Just let it finish.

1. Charge your battery to 100% and have a high quality usb cable. Sometimes the process fails so you might have to do it twice. When in fastboot mode the battery will not charge.

2. Put the D4213 zip on your external sdcard; just copy and paste with windows.

3. Boot to bootloader and select fastboot (power down, hold both volume buttons and press power, release power, select ap fastboot). You can use the tool for this step but will have to manually do it later.

4. Select menu 16 and flash the GB files plus the boot.img of 213. This will take a while just let it finish and follow the prompts when ask to press a key to continue. You will get some errors (Info validation type). Just let it run and finish.

5. Your phone will reboot and attempt to update (android with spinning ball).

6. Let it run until the screen goes blank and the red "M" appears.

7. Then force a power down and boot to the bootloader.

9. Select recovery. When you see the android with the red exclamation press both volume buttons. Select apply update from external storage and chose the 213 zip.

10. Once complete reboot.

11. ENJOY

12. Root ICS if you want.

If you use this to install vodoo's root keeper make sure your screen is unlocked. If not it seems to hang up sometimes. You should immediately get a superuser request.

Finally this is windows only. If someone writes the linux script I can add it in later. Let me know if you have any issues, suggestions, questions or problems.

As usual doing any of this is at your own risk and may render your phone to be a nice paperweight.

Here is the full menu of the tool:

1. Fastboot GB to stock and ERASE DATA (You can use this to restore stock Gingerbread if you are on a modified GB)
2. Fastboot GB to stock and SAVE DATA
3. Root GB
4. Unroot GB
5. Install Voodoo Rootkeeper
6. Install Safestrap for GB
7. System Pull
8. Overclock for GB
9. Boot to Fastboot
10. Boot to Recovery
11. ADB Shell
12. Reboot phone
13. Flash the ICSFIX Kernel (This is not necessary to jump from one ICS to another, use menu 16. Left in for advanced users only)
14. Install Safestrap for ICS
15. Droid 4 ICS Root
16. D4 ICS Fix (Jump from one leak to another) and SAVE DATA

Last edited:

finndo77

Reaction score
I can take a look and write it up for Linux, I did a couple for the lg spectrum based off the windows root scripts; however my Droid 4 has not yet arrived (ordered from Amazon, but they were out of stock) hope it makes it before the 28th!

OP
jsnweitzel

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Just updated the tool and added in some instructions. The lite version is good to go, the full will take a little while to upload.

1989trouble07

Reaction score
Also if you're on ICS and just want to upgrade to 211 without losing your data or any of your apps..

Remove the lines in red from the .bat file

Code:
files\moto-fastboot flash mbm files\allow-mbmloader-flashing-mbm.binfiles\moto-fastboot reboot-bootloader 
echo. Press any key AFTER the screen comes back on
pause
files\moto-fastboot flash mbmloader files\mbmloader.bin
files\moto-fastboot flash mbm files\mbm.bin
files\moto-fastboot reboot-bootloader
pause
[COLOR=#ff0000]files\moto-fastboot -w[/COLOR]
files\moto-fastboot flash cdt.bin files\cdt.bin
files\moto-fastboot flash devtree files\device_tree.bin
files\moto-fastboot flash logo.bin files\logo.bin
files\moto-fastboot flash system files\system.img
files\moto-fastboot flash boot files\boot.img
files\moto-fastboot flash recovery files\recovery.img
files\moto-fastboot flash ebr files\ebr
files\moto-fastboot flash mbr files\mbr
files\moto-fastboot flash cdrom files\cdrom
files\moto-fastboot flash preinstall files\preinstall.img
files\moto-fastboot flash webtop files\grfs.img
files\moto-fastboot flash radio files\radio.img

You're still able to update just fine as long as you follow the other steps.

Last edited:
OP
jsnweitzel

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
You mean the two lines in red? Thanks for the tip. I was just using the restore script from the razr tool.

1989trouble07

Reaction score
Yea the lines in the red. In the script for the razr tool, you just remove the same lines from the .xml file, along with one that says userdata I believe.

Giroux28

Reaction score
any idea how long until the full is uploaded? the lite link is temp. disabled due to overtraffic... also if i dl the light one where do i put the fastboot/ics files?

OP
jsnweitzel

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I changed the lite version to gdrive and it should be fine now. You need the Droid 211 OTA file and all the gb fastboot stuff. Once you extract the zip look in the resulting folder for the script and the "files" folder. Copy the fastboot files there. Your ota zip needs to be on your sdcard. Uploading the full right now, shouldn't be too much longer.

Giroux28

Reaction score
Also if you're on ICS and just want to upgrade to 211 without losing your data or any of your apps..

Remove the lines in red from the .bat file

Code:
files\moto-fastboot flash mbm files\allow-mbmloader-flashing-mbm.binfiles\moto-fastboot reboot-bootloader 
pause
files\moto-fastboot flash mbmloader files\mbmloader.bin
files\moto-fastboot flash mbm files\mbm.bin
files\moto-fastboot reboot-bootloader
pause
files\moto-fastboot flash cdt.bin files\cdt.bin
files\moto-fastboot flash devtree files\device_tree.bin
files\moto-fastboot flash logo.bin files\logo.bin
files\moto-fastboot flash system files\system.img
files\moto-fastboot flash boot files\boot.img
files\moto-fastboot flash recovery files\recovery.img
files\moto-fastboot flash ebr files\ebr
files\moto-fastboot flash mbr files\mbr
files\moto-fastboot flash cdrom files\cdrom
files\moto-fastboot flash preinstall files\preinstall.img
files\moto-fastboot flash webtop files\grfs.img

You're still able to update just fine as long as you follow the other steps.

This is exactly what im trying to accomplish... has anyone else used this successfully this way yet??

Giroux28

Reaction score
I changed the lite version to gdrive and it should be fine now. You need the Droid 211 OTA file and all the gb fastboot stuff. Once you extract the zip look in the resulting folder for the script and the "files" folder. Copy the fastboot files there. Your ota zip needs to be on your sdcard. Uploading the full right now, shouldn't be too much longer.

do i just put the fastboot.xml.zip the the files folder or do i need to unzip it and put all the seperate lil files in the folder??

Giroux28

Reaction score
is the full almost done? I cant piece this together will the files i have, the script is gonna tell it to pull files from a directory that doesnt exist????

OP
jsnweitzel

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
It's still uploading. You do have you unzip the fastboot files and put all of them in the "files" folder of the lite version.

Giroux28

Reaction score
i am all the way at the end trying to flash the d4.6.16.211.zip file and its saying signature verifcation failed!??! what do i do? i cant rename the file now, am i screwed?!

OP
jsnweitzel

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
The name of the file doesn't matter. It used to have to be "update.zip" but not anymore. It just has to match the kernel (boot.img) that you flashed after the GB fastboot. Did you get anything else with the error?

Giroux28

Reaction score
The name of the file doesn't matter. It used to have to be "update.zip" but not anymore. It just has to match the kernel (boot.img) that you flashed after the GB fastboot. Did you get anything else with the error?

no i followed the instructions completely!

think i figured it out... didnt realize the file had another file inside it, i bet if i flash this zip file inside the file it works fine, will let u know when its done decompressing thanks

Last edited: