Droid 3 extended battery cover suddenly wont seat correctly

oid

Reaction score
Droid 3 extended battery cover suddenly wont seat correctly. The bottom corner 'tab' on the camera side will not seat.

When this happened last time, techs at a VZW store couldnt figure it out either so VZW says they will send me a new one. A new 1880 mAh battery came with it because the extended battery covers are not sold separately (no complaints from me). It was working fine, now it has happened again, out of the blue. Both the standard covers seat fine (with standard battery). I know some have said the standard cover works with the extended battery, but not for me. The problem the first time was also the same bottom corner 'tab' on the camera side. Searched much, no answers.

linuxgator

Reaction score
Is it possible that something is wedged into the tab slot?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

linuxgator

Reaction score
maybe one of the tabs broke off? If it's happenend twice though, it seems more like there's something wrong on the phone side. Could you post some pictures of what exactly it is doing?

OP
O

oid

Reaction score
maybe one of the tabs broke off? If it's happenend twice though, it seems more like there's something wrong on the phone side. Could you post some pictures of what exactly it is doing?

The first extended cover worked, then it didnt. The second extended cover worked, then it didnt. Both standard covers still work. That doesnt sound like the problem is on the phone side. I have been studying the covers under a magnifier lamp and can see no differences between the 2 extended covers. There is a difference between the tabs on the standard covers and the tabs on the extended covers but they should be different

I thought of taking photos but the only camera I have is the one on the phone and it cant handle high res close ups.

Even looking at the extended cover under the magnifier, it is not clear what the status of the tabs are because there is no contrast between the "foreground" - the black plastic tab itself and the "background" - the rest of the black cover. But, under the magnifier, I slipped a fingernail (light) under the tab (dark). There is much more tab overhanging my nail on one side than the other (camera) side. That has to be it - the tab is broken off. I would think the absence of a tab would cause the connection to be "loose" not the opposite, like you said, something wedged into the tab slot. That, plus VZW's "Hmm, never heard of that, here's a new extended capacity battery for free" take on it had me convinced the answer couldnt be the simple one.

When you hear hoof beats, dont be expecting zebras.

linuxgator

Reaction score
I just took a look at the two of mine, and noticed that the narrow tab on the side opposite the camera on one of them had been bent down a bit and was also preventing it from sitting correctly. I took my fingernail and bent it back up so basically it is parallel to the plane of the battery door, and it seems to fit quite well now. I would't have even noticed except for your description above. Perhaps you can try that. I think it got that way when I didn't seat it right and just kind forced it closed instead of inserting it and levering it down and snapping it at the top.

OP
O

oid

Reaction score
Droid 3 extended battery cover suddenly seats correctly

I just took a look at the two of mine, and noticed that the narrow tab on the side opposite the camera on one of them had been bent down a bit and was also preventing it from sitting correctly. I took my fingernail and bent it back up so basically it is parallel to the plane of the battery door, and it seems to fit quite well now. I would't have even noticed except for your description above. Perhaps you can try that. I think it got that way when I didn't seat it right and just kind forced it closed instead of inserting it and levering it down and snapping it at the top.

I have always inserted it and levered it down into place, snapping it closed at the sides and top. As I remember, at the time of your last post, I gave the tabs on both my extended battery covers a look and a perfunctory fingernail 'drag' with no improvements.

I just finished recharging all my batteries and put the battery cover back on. It is snapped closed and seated evenly across the bottom. I can offer no explanation other its just the universe f___in with me.