Droid 2 Physical Keyboard Customization

ambrown

Reaction score
Hey all, I receently got a Droid 2 as a temporary replacement when my old phone died. I'm making the best of my time before upgrading later this year by customizing my "new" phone.

This is my first phone with a pysical qwerty board and I've been learning how to customize it. Mainly I'm looking for a way to make a longpress of a key activate that key's alternate function. For example if I longpress the "T" key then it types "5" instead. This is a standard feature on many software keyboards and I find it useful and time saving. Is there any way to make this work on the physical board? Either through the settings or via third party app?

Also if anyone has tips about how to get the most out of your keyboard feel free to offer your advice since I'm a total physical keyboard noob. Thanks!

drew96dawg

Reaction score
Im not aware of any apps that do that but it would be very convenient. Do you have experience making apps? If you do you may want to try making an app that does that. Ill be a beta tester :D

Sent from my DROID2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

OP
ambrown

ambrown

Reaction score
No experience making apps. But I really want to. My biggest obstacle is that I have next to nil experience with programming. But I'm a college student and I'm in an engineering class right now learning some programming to use MatLab. It's pretty fun and challenging, but it's also inspired me to try to learn how to program more broadly. I'm wanting to pick up C, and Java (mainly so I can develop for Android).

Perhaps once I've become proficient I can write up a little something though! I've also wished for an app that could control the brightness, or turn off completely, the capacitive buttons on my phone, especially at night. But with everything going to soft buttons like on the GNex it seems that solution won't be needed in the future.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Most of the keys already have shortcuts that work to open apps from any screen. You could simply go in and change what each shortcut does.

drew96dawg

Reaction score
Most of the keys already have shortcuts that work to open apps from any screen. You could simply go in and change what each shortcut does.

I know that. We are trying to find a way to make the keys do the alternative action they are supposed to do when you hit the alt key but instead you just have to long press the key

Sent from my DROID2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2