Future of physical keyboards

nhra1ss

Reaction score
I have something that I have been wondering about since the other day. Since the D2 has a physical keyboard ( along with the D3 ) I decided to post here and maybe get some thoughts from those on here that could enlighten me.

I was talking with my mom the other day about my phone and my son's new Bionic. I like the fact that I still have a keyboard to use, rather than the touchscreen one. I mentioned to her that I was thinking about getting a D3 ( like the bigger keyboard and slightly larger size ) when my NE2 is up, but that is next August. We had been talking about how when new phones come out, the older ones drop away. This got me thinking that maybe the D3 won't be around next summer. Most of the phones you see/hear about anymore don't have the physical keyboard, so is it going to be a thing of the past? I am up for an "upgrade" right now and can get a D3, so I am in a quandry. Get one now before they are gone? Or wait and hope that there will be another cell like it next year? If I do get a D3 now, I also had thought about keeping my D2 around to learn how to "mod" it since it is still stock. I have read that there is so much to do to it, making it faster and such.

Comments?

silverfang77

Reaction score
I've read before that they want to do away with the keyboards (probably cheaper to make everything touch screen). I would personally get the D3 now.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
NO!! I love physical keyboards!!

Thats why I think I will go from Droid 3>Droid 5> Droid 7> etc.
I need my keyboard! It makes browsing the web so much easier.

DarkDreamer13

Reaction score
The main thing I love about a slide out full keyboard is this: my whole screen is still available to use/see whatever it is I'm doing. Virtual keyboards take up valuable screen real estate.

But in answer to your question, I would think next year they'll either still have the D3 or some later generation sibling (D3 Remixed, Droid 4, Droid 5, etc.), but obviously I can't garuntee that.

Sent from my OTA GB Droid 2 Global

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I believe there will always be a smartphone with a physical keyboard, but they won't be high-end phones like we're seeing now.

Personally, I'm using a D2 now, and have found that I would rather have a bigger LCD as opposed to a slide-out keyboard.

snstr1

Reaction score
Love me D2 and my keyboard that doesnt punish me for having fat thumbs.. LOL. I will always want a phone with physical keyboard, just hope the keep still making them otherwise I will end up using a D2 or 3 till they do.

OP
N

nhra1ss

Reaction score
A couple of good points, larger screen when typing, plus easier to type with keyboard ( to I do have Swype X). I think I may do some checking to see how many smart phones are out there, but I will probably only find the D2 & D3.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
N

nhra1ss

Reaction score
Just looked at Verizon online. Only physical keyboard Android cells are : Droid Pro with front keypad, D2 Global in White & D3. Hmmmmmm........

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just looked at Verizon online. Only physical keyboard Android cells are : Droid Pro with front keypad, D2 Global in White & D3. Hmmmmmm........

Lol that's no surprise, its been that way for a while now. Hopefully future Droids also have keyboards. I'm hoping for a Droid 4 LTE

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
N

nhra1ss

Reaction score
Price on D3 is $199 with my upgrade. Plus $100 gift card if you turn in a non smart phone. I have a few I held on to. Something I may take advantage of that.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
They will still be around. But I think portrait style ones will be the dominant ones (think Blackberry).

I know there is an LTE epic 4G style phone from Samsung coming out.

Personally I think it's all trend. Thin is in and you don't get that with physical keyboards

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Lenagainster

Reaction score
I have a Droid 2, but once I started using SwiftKey, I rarely resort to the slide out keyboard. The word prediction in SwiftKey saves me a lot of keystrokes. My next phone will be all touchscreen.

DarkDreamer13

Reaction score
I"ve tried swype, and I like it. However, I've found I'm still way faster on the qwerty. Maybe it's the years I've used a qwerty on computers. I don't know, either way, the speed added to what I posted previously about getting the full screen while typing makes a slide out qwerty a big bonus imho. I hope they continue to make them.

Sent from my OTA GB Droid 2 Global

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
The main thing I love about a slide out full keyboard is this: my whole screen is still available to use/see whatever it is I'm doing. Virtual keyboards take up valuable screen real estate.

+ 1 million on this

I love this bionic but I miss my keyboard if the d3 had a bigger screen foyer my blind as off of got it instead 4g or not

I know it its barely any size difference I am seriously almost legally blind. :)

Does anyone remember that lg with the changeable battery covers that had built in keyboards and game pads... Maybe some thing like that or a version off Xoom portfolio case for these phones

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
I like my physical keyboard because no matter how good I get with the touch keyboard the physical one is always faster.

(Typed with the touch keyboard in case you were wondering.)

Sent from my R2 unit using DroidForums