Future of physical keyboards

Caligula2008

Reaction score
Its the reason I haven't upgraded to an LTE phone... I need a keyboard because I can type really fast on it. If you have typing experience and practice you can fly across the keys. I take notes in class on mine and I'm able to write soon much more than other people.

A 4G droid would be awesome!

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

silverfang77

Reaction score
I think the makers and carriers need to recognize that not everyone likes on screen keyboards and start making 4G phones with real keyboards.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tappatalk

Oowoon

Reaction score
Seems like the demand for physical keyboards is not what it once was. Touchscreen seems to be the norm nowadays. It really depends on whether any of the phone makers see merit in qwerty keyboards.

Sent from Apex'd GB Droid 2

Caligula2008

Reaction score
I had seen a tweet link this summer that said the original designer of the sidekick was hired to create an android phone. Anyone heard anything about that?

Barristro

Reaction score
Seems like the demand for physical keyboards is not what it once was. Touchscreen seems to be the norm nowadays. It really depends on whether any of the phone makers see merit in qwerty keyboards.

Sent from Apex'd GB Droid 2

Purely a vicious cycle. Apple doesn't make keyboards, so that fan-base is out. Most other phones want to save money by not having keyboards, so they don't have them (but make up for it with better speed, etc.) There are limited choices for phones with keyboards. Personally, I would only get Droid-2/3, as all other ones face the wrong way or look dumb. Limited choices + slower speeds = fewer people buying them. Fewer people buying them = no reason to make them, so manufacturers stop making them. All because manufacturers stopped making them to begin with.

My personal feelings of Apple aside; if they came out with a phone with a keyboard, most other phones would have them as well, for the exact same logic pattern as above.

DarkDreamer13

Reaction score
I had seen a tweet link this summer that said the original designer of the sidekick was hired to create an android phone. Anyone heard anything about that?

Yeah, I believe a sidekick that runs on android has already come out. Not 100% on this though.

Sent from my OTA GB Droid 2 Global

azules9780

Reaction score
I have had the D1 and now a D2, and although I like having a keyboard(I would like the increased size of a D3), I do not like how the phone opens partially in my pocket and drains the battery faster. Plus there are a lack of protective options for the phones. The lack of 4g and specs is also another thing that is bothering me. So anywho, my next phone will most likely be the prime but I will look at the other offerings in late 2012 early 2013. One can hope for a slightly better design next year.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Reaction score
If physical keyboards cease to be produced....looks like ill be sticking to my droid 3 until they come back. Touch keyboard only....I can't do it.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

snstr1

Reaction score
I talked to the Verizon tech guy when I bricked my D2 and they replaced it with a D3, I asked him what his thoughts were on the keyboard issue and he stated that there is a fairly large fan base for the physical keyboard and he can not see them wanting to upset that many customers over it, he thinks they will always have at least 1 new phone with a physical keyboard.

I personally think we will see a 4g LTE phone with a physical keyboard by Summer 2012 at the latest.

silverfang77

Reaction score
I hope so because screen keyboards are fine for a few words, but not for long posts.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tappatalk

Wonmotyme

Reaction score
There are rumors circulating about the D4 and it having LTE and of course the keyboard. Search it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

silverfang77

Reaction score
I've seen those rumors and I'm excited! My contract is up in July, so a D4 might be in my future. Ice Cream Sandwich!!!

TDJ112

Reaction score
Yea....I registered to just show my support for the physical keyboard....When i finally broke down and got a smart phone.....physical keyboard was a must......had i known the D3 was just around the corner, i would've held out....but im happy with my D2G

As already mentioned, the D4's most likely gonna be a hybrid of the Bionic and D3......if Verizon and Motorola didnt believe there was a large enough fan base for the phys keyboard....they never woulda bothered with the D3 with the Bionic rite around the corner...

Last edited:

TDJ112

Reaction score
I have had the D1 and now a D2, and although I like having a keyboard(I would like the increased size of a D3), I do not like how the phone opens partially in my pocket and drains the battery faster. Plus there are a lack of protective options for the phones. The lack of 4g and specs is also another thing that is bothering me. So anywho, my next phone will most likely be the prime but I will look at the other offerings in late 2012 early 2013. One can hope for a slightly better design next year.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Might just be specific to your phone....I was worried about mine slipping open in my pokcet or when I grabbed to answer it (like in the past with other phones that were slide open) but i rarely if ever have that prob with my D2

silverfang77

Reaction score
I think they are. I can't imagine anyone who types a lot being able to stand an onscreen keyboard.