Droid 2 OTA Update soon?

jasnmar

Reaction score
Ok.
Truthfully I don't care about loosing root. Other reports say it can be re-rooted and the only reason I rooted was to get teh 2.3.15 rom leak from Motorola, which does have the update capability (just keeps telling me i'm up to date if I check though).

If I brick I do have SBF setup @ home to get it going, but yeah I would hate to do that a second time ... lol.

Ahh, if you don't mind SBF'ing then fine...
Rename Blur.zip to Update.zip and put it in the root of your SD card (make sure it isn't update.zip.zip).
Power off the phone.
Open the keyboard and hold down the "x" key. With the x key held power on the phone. Wait for the yeild sign. Release the X key.
Press the search key on the keyboard. On the menu that appears scroll (use the arrows) to Apply sdcard:update.zip and wait. When completed select reboot system now.
That "should" be it :)

jason

jediman

Reaction score
Wouldn't that have also worked with Koush's bootstrap?

I tried renaming it to Upate.zip and then using Koush recovery to run it and it failed, saying it was missing files or some such thing.
---
Update: it says... (per the android recovery system)
Install from sdcard...
.Finding update package..
Opening update package...
Veryfing update package...
Installing update...
assert failed: file_getprop ("/system/build.prop", "ro.build.fingerrint")== "verizon/droid2_vzw/cdma_droid2/droid2:2.2/vzw/22.20:user/ota-rel-keys,releaskeys"| and then the same thing more or less and then status 7 and installation aborted.

I am running 2.3.15 which is why I wonder if thats why it's failing?
I'm hoping I don't have to SBF back to factory defaults, that would take forever just to get the update. I'm hoping I can still pull the update down anyways.

jasnmar

Reaction score

I tried renaming it to Upate.zip and then using Koush recovery to run it and it failed, saying it was missing files or some such thing.

Honestly, no idea... Not using Koush's Bootstrap Recovery. Sorry.

jediman

Reaction score

Honestly, no idea... Not using Koush's Bootstrap Recovery. Sorry.

Woops edited my reply with some pertinent failure information as you were replying.

Cloppy

Reaction score

No because those updates are signed with a special code. Koushs recovery does not have that code thats why it can run unsigned zip files. The official recovery performs a check to make sure its the correct file.

jediman

Reaction score
Well balls on toast.

Anyone have a factory 2.2 froyo rom from the Droid 2 I can 'update' to so I can pull down the new one? :)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i am about to try something stupid so if my phone dont work...well atleast i have sbf.

Cloppy

Reaction score
Use the sbf method its the best way to get back to stock. I just used it myself this morning.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i went in and did some modifications to the file lets see what happens.

jediman

Reaction score
yeah but, that means having to go home and do it, and I want the update noooooow lol.

Tillyswilly

Reaction score
ok i have 1 question (i dont have the update yet) but is anyone that has got it running launch-pro with it? if so have you saw a lot of differences

jasnmar

Reaction score
Rename Blur.zip to Update.zip and put it in the root of your SD card (make sure it isn't update.zip.zip).
Power off the phone.
Open the keyboard and hold down the "x" key. With the x key held power on the phone. Wait for the yeild sign. Release the X key.
Press the search key on the keyboard. On the menu that appears scroll (use the arrows) to Apply sdcard:update.zip and wait. When completed select reboot system now.
That "should" be it :)

OK, I just tried this with the Blur.zip that I posted and everything worked fine. (Yes, I lost root again...). Now I do understand that on my system this was basically a no op, but if the file was invalid is "should" have failed to update.
I'm thinking there is a chance I got the correct file...

jason

jediman

Reaction score
So am I thinking I would be correct in stating that if somehow with me running 2.3.15 (which for all we know IS this new version anyways), that even if I were to get an update and it went to install it would probably fail anyways given that its an official update and looking for the 2.2 release?

jasnmar

Reaction score
So am I thinking I would be correct in stating that if somehow with me running 2.3.15 (which for all we know IS this new version anyways), that even if I were to get an update and it went to install it would probably fail anyways given that its an official update and looking for the 2.2 release?

If you are running 2.3.anything I suspect that this update will fail for exactly the reasons you describe.

jediman

Reaction score
Well..balls on toast..with eggs and cheese.
Looks like I will be SBF'ing tonight *sigh*