m4v playback busted after update?

dast

Reaction score
Can anyone else confirm or deny that m4v playback has been busted by the latest update? I've got plenty of files that worked before the update that now no longer play.

I've heard some mention of mp4 files failing to play afterwards, but nothing regarding m4v's.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...80-droid-2-ota-update-soon-27.html#post968964

The link mentions something about missing libraries in /system/lib/dsp/.

I've poked around in Astro and I don't see the files, but that said, I never looked before the update to know if they ever existed.

Does anyone have any experience to report?

OP
D

dast

Reaction score
Really? Nobody has tried to play a single m4v movie on a D2 since the OTA update? Not one person? I can supply a test file if anyone needs it.

Even a "yes, I tried and it worked fine" would be helpful...

:frown:

holmes6

Reaction score
if you provide the file I can tell you if it works on my 2.3.20 (with added files in /system/lib/ and /system/lib/dsp/ to fix mp4 problem)

holmes6

Reaction score
The file plays in Video Player on my system.
also note that it plays fine in rockplayer too, so you should always have that option on any version

OP
D

dast

Reaction score
Thanks for trying that out.

I'm downloading rockplayer now to see what's up with that.

Do you have a copy of the missing libraries that I could grab?

OP
D

dast

Reaction score
Ah, nevermind on the request for the files.

Armed with unyaffs.c and gcc, I managed to dump one of my nandroid backups. Worked beautifully under Cygwin, even.

OP
D

dast

Reaction score
nice, so you're watching files now on 2.3.20 that didn't work previously?

Yep! Worked great.

Here's what I did.

First, I installed rockplayer, as suggested. I confirmed that it's internal, software decoder worked. However, trying to view the file with either the stock video player or Stream Media Player failed.

Then, I went back to one of my nandroid backups that I made before the OTA update and snatched the system.img that it contained.

Then, I found a copy of unyaffs.c/unyaffs.h I found by googling around that I compiled under my (existing) Cygwin installation. Using the resulting executable, I was able to dump the contents of system.img.

In the files extracted from the system.img from the backup prior to the OTA update, I found the following files.

in /system/lib:

libOMX.TI.720P.Decoder.so
libOMX.TI.720P.Encoder.so
libOMX.TI.mp4.splt.Encoder.so

in /system/lib/dsp/

720p_h264vdec_sn.dll64P
720p_mp4vdec_sn.dll64P
720p_mp4venc_sn.dll64P

[Creds to plasticmajestic on this]

Using adb, I remounted my filesystem as rw, put the files in place, chmod'ed them all to 644, remounted again as ro, and rebooted.

My test file now plays fine in the stock video player and in Stream Media Player. Also, after putting in the missing files, the "hardware" decoder in Rockplayer started working.

Sweet success. dancedroid

I'd say this thread can be closed out.

Last edited:

xplumberx

Reaction score
Bottom line, I made Verizon replace my phone after this update for free because I was not able to view streaming video like I was before the update! I am not going to let it update until they resolve the issue. They should do some testing before releasing these updates.

OP
D

dast

Reaction score
Wow. Did they actually send you a replacement D2 with the older firmware?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Freakizoid

Reaction score
I am having this same issue. I've rooted my phone and found all the missing files except 1. libOMX.TI.720P.Decoder.so

Ive chmodded them all using root explorer, placed them in the right place just like you did, but im assuming this file missing is still preventing my playback.

Anyone know where I can get this? I just rooted because I want damn video playback to work.

OP
D

dast

Reaction score
I am having this same issue. I've rooted my phone and found all the missing files except 1. libOMX.TI.720P.Decoder.so

Ive chmodded them all using root explorer, placed them in the right place just like you did, but im assuming this file missing is still preventing my playback.

Anyone know where I can get this? I just rooted because I want damn video playback to work.

I'll see if I can dig it up this evening, after work. If you haven't heard something by tomorrow, pm me to remind me.

As a work-around, have you tried RockPlayer's software decoding feature?

Freakizoid

Reaction score
Arc Media Rock Player, all of them, stuttery playback and out of sync audio. So frustrating. Everything worked perfectly until this stupid Verizon update. If this file doesnt fix it, it's going back to Verizon and they are giving me a new phone.

Thanks for your help, hopefully you can dig that file up

OP
D

dast

Reaction score
Arc Media Rock Player, all of them, stuttery playback and out of sync audio. So frustrating. Everything worked perfectly until this stupid Verizon update. If this file doesnt fix it, it's going back to Verizon and they are giving me a new phone.

Thanks for your help, hopefully you can dig that file up

Check your PMs. Got something for ya. dancedroid