Streaming Hi-Quality Video To Android With Tversity and nswPlayer

D

dvdcatalyst

I have not tried yours yet dvdcat, but only because I loved the idea of being able to stream through the xbox360. I started to use Act1 Video player instead of Rock player and now it seems to be working. Is there any way I can speed up the stream over 3g? It seems like it needs to buffer about every 20 seconds.

Ah ok.

The buffering issue you have is due to the quality settings being higher than that of what your 3G can handle.

I dont use tversity myself, so I can't help you with any specifics on that, but it has some re-encoding capabilities which might adjust the file-quality setting on the fly. Otherwise, visit this link:

How to stream movies to your phone for free | Tools4Movies - Home of DVD Catalyst

Its a how-to guide on how to use my mp4 server which you dont use, but the information starting slightly above this screenshot in the article

mp4ss14.jpg

will tell you how to optimize your files for internet streaming.

I would not recommend using the files you optimize for 3G for the XBOX though.

frightking

Reaction score
So I am not great at all this techy stuff but at times can hold my own. I have set everything up on my PC with Tversity. I can access and see all my files through the browser on my phone but when I click on the a I get a message that says "downloading" and then shortly after a downloading error message. Any ideas of what I am doing wrong? I am using a Samsung Fascinate with Android 2.1, I have tried three differant browsers: Opera, the Browser that was on the phone and also Skyfire. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hey, it is not the browser but rather the media player you are using to receive the said video. Download Rockplayer for free off the market and that should do the trick. It supports most video formats but it does not transcode .mkv for example nor does tversity if you need help with media conversion software I can help with that also, good luck mate : ) !

Sweet I will try this. Kind of odd when I open pictures and music it works fine (has a pop up which asks which service to open such and such with, usually I select NSW) however when I attempt videos it says that it is "starting the download" and then a few seconds later it says "error in downloading".

So this wouldn't be a problem of the Android version I am running would it? I am running 2.1 (still waiting for those knuckle heads at Verizon to get us 2.2!).

Snow02

Reaction score
PlayOn streams your own media. And works awesome. It transcodes on the fly, so no re-encoding. It will play any file.

They charge to stream netflix, hulu, etc., but you can stream your own files without purchasing. Really nice implementation.

jxrain038

Reaction score
PlayOn streams your own media. And works awesome. It transcodes on the fly, so no re-encoding. It will play any file.

They charge to stream netflix, hulu, etc., but you can stream your own files without purchasing. Really nice implementation.

How well does it stream over 3g?

Snow02

Reaction score
That will be partly dependent on your upstream bandwidth and computer power. But I have a 1.5 mbps up connection and a quad core phenom ii. It streams great over 3G.

Screen caps.
63aff81e-f790-baca.jpg

63aff81e-f7a2-ca05.jpg

63aff81e-f7ba-d9d6.jpg

63aff81e-f7cc-0fc4.jpg

jxrain038

Reaction score
I have not tried yours yet dvdcat, but only because I loved the idea of being able to stream through the xbox360. I started to use Act1 Video player instead of Rock player and now it seems to be working. Is there any way I can speed up the stream over 3g? It seems like it needs to buffer about every 20 seconds.

Ah ok.

The buffering issue you have is due to the quality settings being higher than that of what your 3G can handle.

I dont use tversity myself, so I can't help you with any specifics on that, but it has some re-encoding capabilities which might adjust the file-quality setting on the fly. Otherwise, visit this link:

How to stream movies to your phone for free | Tools4Movies - Home of DVD Catalyst

Its a how-to guide on how to use my mp4 server which you dont use, but the information starting slightly above this screenshot in the article

mp4ss14.jpg

will tell you how to optimize your files for internet streaming.

I would not recommend using the files you optimize for 3G for the XBOX though.

I tested my Droid 3G connection and my home computer connection and I have a 3723 kbs UPLOAD speed on my computer and a 579 kbs DOWNLOAD speed on my Droid. Using DVDCAT4 what would be a good streaming profile to start with? One more quick question, if you don't mind. Should I change the screen size back to the Motorola Droid setting of 854 x 480, if not, what should i set the screen size to be? Thank you for all the help. I really enjoy dvdcat4, thanks for the great software.

Snow02

Reaction score
I tested my Droid 3G connection and my home computer connection and I have a 3723 kbs UPLOAD speed on my computer and a 579 kbs DOWNLOAD speed on my Droid. Using DVDCAT4 what would be a good streaming profile to start with? One more quick question, if you don't mind. Should I change the screen size back to the Motorola Droid setting of 854 x 480, if not, what should i set the screen size to be? Thank you for all the help. I really enjoy dvdcat4, thanks for the great software.

I'm not trying to jack your conversation, but with playon, you don't have to re-encode anything. It will change the quality on the fly depending on your bandwidth. So if you're on 3G, it will not look quite as good as if on wifi, but it will look as good as your bandwidth can support without sacrificing smooth playback.

I'm just trying to save you time by recommending this. I hate having to have different copies for different devices and worry about re-encoding with the right settings. Seriously, try it. It's free, so you don't have anything to lose.

jxrain038

Reaction score

I'm not trying to jack your conversation, but with playon, you don't have to re-encode anything. It will change the quality on the fly depending on your bandwidth. So if you're on 3G, it will not look quite as good as if on wifi, but it will look as good as your bandwidth can support without sacrificing smooth playback.

I'm just trying to save you time by recommending this. I hate having to have different copies for different devices and worry about re-encoding with the right settings. Seriously, try it. It's free, so you don't have anything to lose.
It seems to be working great over wifi, but it will not "sync" with my computer so I'm unable to find my computer over 3g.

Snow02

Reaction score
It automatically registers your ip once you connect over wifi. You need to forward the port at your router. The information you need is under the mobile access tab in the playon software on your computer.

frightking

Reaction score
Hmmm....

So I have been trying differant things to get this streaming to work. I have resorted to the Tversity model with Rockplayer and it does work. When I am out and about on the 3G network it can be a bit clunky and at times pixelated (I beleive this is due to my Tversity settings) but all and all not bad. Really good over a wi-fi connection. I would love to try some of the other methods like Subsonic or PlayOn however unfortunately I am one of the knuckle heads that got his Samsung Fascinate through Verizon and am currently unable to update to Android 2.2, hopefully when the dipsquats over at Verizon pull their heads out of their keesters I could try one of these simpler methods. I do thank all of you for your input and will be keeping an eye out for more updates to this thread! Thanks all.

Snow02

Reaction score
Not that it means a whole lot, but at least they're publicly addressing it now.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1301530981146.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1301530981146.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 850

NightAngel79

Reaction score
Just found this thread, loving this!! Can't wait to get home and see if i can get it to work!!

OP
tallnerd1985

tallnerd1985

Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry that I havent been on this thread as of late but I have come across a better process than what I had wrote a tutorial for. I am currently using Plex Media Server and their client for both iOS and Android which does this all in an easier setup. You can download their server program for free at Plex - A Complete Media Solution and purchase their client program for $4.99 for either OS. The great thing about this setup is if the media is compatible with your phone, then its direct stream without encoding the file but if its not, then it transcodes on the fly.

Features
  • Trancodes on the fly
  • Easy to use catelog
  • Album art, Movie poster and info with client
  • Fast and efficient
  • Works with Android, iPhones and Apple TV 2 boxes

Dedren

Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry that I havent been on this thread as of late but I have come across a better process than what I had wrote a tutorial for. I am currently using Plex Media Server and their client for both iOS and Android which does this all in an easier setup. You can download their server program for free at Plex - A Complete Media Solution and purchase their client program for $4.99 for either OS. The great thing about this setup is if the media is compatible with your phone, then its direct stream without encoding the file but if its not, then it transcodes on the fly.

Features
  • Trancodes on the fly
  • Easy to use catelog6
  • Album art, Movie poster and info with client
  • Fast and efficient
  • Works with Android, iPhones and Apple TV 2 boxes

I still can't get plex to work over 3g. The method in their instructions causes the rest of the devices on my Airport router to stop connecting to the network. I thought it had something to do with the fact that I extended the network with another airport device, but I don't know how to fix it. I also use tversity for my xbox360. Anyone know how to fix?