Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
I wouldnt buy it. sure it has more memory and swype, but other than that it feels cheaply made like on drop will destroy it, yet the original droid seems much more durable to me and solid.

If i was going to upgrade it be to the X or wait and see what newer phone appear because you know they are just going to keep rolling out

Well you couldn't be more wrong. It's identical to the original Droid on how it's made. Same weight and size. Read the specs.

To me, holding my wife's next to my D1, the D2 feels a little heavier. Not by much, just barely noticeable. I agree that it feels better made than my D1. Something about the slide mechanism just feels better made - even though I've seen the teardown and it looks identical.
Maybe the confusion by some is they tried a store model that was handled by others and maybe a little fudged up? Not sure if some of those stores might not have all the internal components since they don't need to power on? The one's I've been to put those stickers on the screen and have no power.

rlarson_mn

Reaction score
Perhaps an over stocking of inventory has spurred on the replacement of warranted D1 with D2s!

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
*****ing about contracts that enabled you to have the phone in the first place just makes you sound stupid. Not you specifically Rsswga, but that other guy.
This is not a community built on disrespectful comments, if stating your opinion is going to put someone else down in the process then please keep it to yourself

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Guys. Let's be respectful to each other. Calling someone stupid IMHO is not showing respect for your fellow members. Just because their idea is different doesn't make them stupid.

And make sure we keep the language clean. Remember, if the censor doesn't like it the moderators don't either.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt buy it. sure it has more memory and swype, but other than that it feels cheaply made like on drop will destroy it, yet the original droid seems much more durable to me and solid.

If i was going to upgrade it be to the X or wait and see what newer phone appear because you know they are just going to keep rolling out

Well you couldn't be more wrong. It's identical to the original Droid on how it's made. Same weight and size. Read the specs.

To me, holding my wife's next to my D1, the D2 feels a little heavier. Not by much, just barely noticeable. I agree that it feels better made than my D1. Something about the slide mechanism just feels better made - even though I've seen the teardown and it looks identical.
Maybe the confusion by some is they tried a store model that was handled by others and maybe a little fudged up? Not sure if some of those stores might not have all the internal components since they don't need to power on? The one's I've been to put those stickers on the screen and have no power.

Funny, I was thinking the exact opposite. I know the specs are the same but I felt the D1 may have had an ounce or so on the D2. Guessing weight like that is difficult. Maybe I'll switch hands and see if I come up with something different. ;)

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
*****ing about contracts that enabled you to have the phone in the first place just makes you sound stupid. Not you specifically Rsswga, but that other guy.

I think the point he was making was valid. If I didn't have to pay $299 to get out of a contract that only had 3-4 months - the same amount I'd pay to get out of the remaining 20-22 months - people might be more willing to spend more money. (I sure can't sell that D1 for anywhere near $300 after 22 months of ownership.) Pro-rating the price would give people the incentive to get the newer phones more often, while still keeping your customers and making your money back. Especially if they are getting another phone from your company. I could understand a little better if they were switching companies - but for staying loyal? Okay, maybe not giving them a $0 penalty, but $50 on top of the new 2 year or a slightly higher 2 year price might be something to consider.

Last edited:

cj1896

Reaction score
I don't think the contracts have anything to do with it. I don't have access to verizon's contract turnover data but I'd imagine that it is fairly constant month to month, with only a minimal standard deviation between them. If the phone represented a significant upgrade, or was attractive to someone making the jump to smartphones there would be more sales.

I think the is just the "razrification" of the Moto Droid. The brand will now stagnate with minor updates to hardware and virtually no aesthetic change.

Never underestimate the stupidity of the consumer. If it looks just like the droid 1 and is 200 dollars more there is only minimal incentive to purchase it. Lots of people purchase tech devices because of how they look not the hardware.

Dragoro

Reaction score
To me the feel of the D2 in my hand feels much more professionally built both physically and in use. And I highly doubt that the sales numbers are nearly as bad as that article makes them appear to be.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score

keiichi25

Reaction score
Well, here is how I look at it...

As a Droid 1 User, I don't see the point in going to Droid 2 for a few reasons:

1) I bought a Droid 1 in November... not even a Year has gone by and my phone works fine.
2) Still under current 2 year contract. Again, not even a year has gone by and I just can't justify switching to a newer version so quickly for costs.
3) Not much of a 'gain'. The 'gains' for it doesn't justify the cost for me. Yes, it has improvements over the original, but then again, I am one who tends to run things to the ground unless I need a newer item that outweighs what I have or the one I have is pretty much dead.
4) I'm no custom mod fan... I tweak my computer a little, do a little customization, but I tend to run things at stock level because I'm one of those people who don't want to mess with things unless I have backups. Given the expense of the Droid initially, I avoid rooting or hacking mine because I am a simple user for it and the stock model works fine, even though I am a tech type personality.

I feel that the Droid 2 is not doing well mostly due to the fact that the Droid is now hitting saturation to a degree. Others are just also gravitating to their Android counterparts in the services that they are on, now knowing that the Droid uses Android OS and there are those alternatives with their carriers that still provide a decent service for them.

I also feel that the new models are just coming out too soon. With Motorola pushing out Droid X and then Droid 2 within 1 year of the initial Droid release... Of course it won't do nearly as well, again, due to saturation of the Motorola Droid product line, it's worse than a car, in my opinion.

At this time, if I want to consider a new droid phone, it would be for two reasons:

1) My current droid suffers serious failure (be it melts down, I break it or so forth)
2) The next gen Droid supported by the 4G network, provided the 4G network provided sufficient needs. By then, there should have been even more improvements in Android OS as well as other things to make it worthwhile to get it.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I held a D2 the other week. It felt like cheap plastic compared to my D1.

Everybody is different. I held one and fell in love. But of course, good old 2 year contracts. Won't be getting a new Droid until Droid4 comes out probably.

Also agree with Keiichi. We won't see any Droid explode like we have in the past. The market is starting to saturate and demand will "come back to normal".

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
If you're someone who craves early upgrades, get the 1-year contract and pay an extra $100 for your phone. Simple enough.

As for Hook liking his D2 -- some people LIKE stock! Don't mock him for his preference, just like he won't mock you for yours. If you don't like MotoBlur, install ADW or LauncherPro from the market and get rid of it. I personally would do that myself if I weren't running a ROM and had MotoBlur stuck on my phone. I like stock, but I prefer CyanogenMod.

The D2 will start selling more as people move up from the D1. Period. 99% of users are stock, and always will be, so a locked bootloader means diddly to them. To those of us that care, yes, it's a big effing deal. Luckily, it sounds like Koush just managed to get the bootstrap recovery image loaded on the D2, so there's hope. It won't be as easy, or as foolproof as the D1, but the bootloader on the D1 was already updated without anyone noticing right away -- and who knows what the future holds.

So, if we could stop insulting people, swearing at them, and calling each other stupid (what is this, high school?) we can move forward into a bright future for the Droid, and Android in general, where what you want is what you can get -- not just what somone thinks you should have. :)

Reaction score
I got my D2 monday of last week so ive had it for just over a week. It feels identical to my D1 just faster. And im still getting used to the keyboard. I keep hitting the alt lock button instead of "a".

I was a bit worried when they offered me a DX or D2 to replace my broken D1 cause of the bootloader but im currently rooted with clockwork recovery just awaiting roms.

So im happy with my D2 but will be happier when the stupid bloatware is off this phone

wricks

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The D2 will start selling more as people move up from the D1. Period. 99% of users are stock, and always will be, so a locked bootloader means diddly to them.

I agree. Those of us who like to push our phones to the bleading edge are a pretty small % of the installed population. You wouldn't notice that if (like me) you spend a lot of your free time on these forums, but in the real world, for most people, the Droid is (gasp) just a phone. A multitalented, mulitifaceted and really cool phone, but just a phone. It's used to send and recieve calls, texts, emails and show off pictues of the grandkids. Most users don't know or care about overclocking or custom ROMs (I can watch my wife's eyes glaze over when I compare Linpack or Quadrant scores after I add or modify an app). Anyway, for the majority of people wanting to switch carries or upgrade their Blackberrys, the D2/DX is the latest and greatest (currently).