Droid 2, only 11000 in sales :(

iPirate

Reaction score
The # of N1 is much more scary... going by their logic there are only 50kish?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
The D2 garners a measly 0% of Chitika traffic while the original DROID still manages to snag 29% of the recorded traffic, which incidentally is more than all the other handsets combined.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Full article

It has been two weeks since the DROID 2 became available and now is a good time to take a peek at the real-time traffic stats provided by Chitika’s DROID 2 tracker. DROID fans prepare yourself as the information from the online ad network paints a less than pretty picture of initial DROID 2 sales.

There are an estimated 11K DROID 2 handsets in the wild browsing Chitika’s ad network, a rather low number for a DROID-branded handset in its 14th day of sale. Traffic hits from the D2 tally up to a mediocre 102,500, a figure which pales in comparison to the 10 million recorded hits of the original DROID. The D2 garners a measly 0% of Chitika traffic while the original DROID still manages to snag 29% of the recorded traffic, which incidentally is more than all the other handsets combined.

The DROID 2 also lags behind the DROID X. The DX launched four weeks before the D2 and now boasts of 1.5 million hits and 4% of traffic. A modest jump for a handset in its sixth week of sales. Even the T-Mobile G1 (1.7 million hits) beats out the D2 and slightly edges the DX, a surprising stat as you would expect that the early adopters who bought the world’s first Android handset would have moved on.

Further supporting these less-than-stellar ad statistics from Chitika is the observation that the supply of the DROID 2 remains bountiful. Unlike the DX, the D2 is still available online from Verizon Wireless and most stores have standing stock. The D2 was also not greeted with lines of enthusiastic customers and does not have the headline-grabbing appeal that the DX has managed to garner.

While you digest this traffic data and sales speculation, keep in mind that it is compiled from one online ad network, Chitika, and is not the exact, carrier-provided tally of sales. Until Motorola or Verizon releases the actual sales figures, we can only speculate and opine on the public enthusiasm for the D2. You can share in this speculation by providing your opinions in the comments.

famine

Reaction score
i bet if they would provide better stock and not "allocations" for the D2 to indirect dealers they would sell more as well.. its bull**** motorola/verizon and their "allocation/Low Stock" is killing the sales of the D2 and the DX

eliassami5

Reaction score
im not surprised..i havent seen one D2 commercial yet. People probably think its the original DROID and so they think its old and out of date. The X and the Inc on the other hand have had much more exposure and people are going for those instead of the D2.

velocity92c

Reaction score
I don't care what the numbers say, give me a D2 over a DX or any other phone in a heartbeat. Love the keyboard! I'm still stuck with my D1 though. (happily, until the bootloader is beaten)

crspang

Reaction score
Well.....duh.....what will the D2 do that my D1 won't that would justify having to pay full price?

mrdroid

Reaction score
The majority of Verizon Android adopters are no where near a new every 2 or contract renewal... those people already own a Droid phone and the D2 offers nothing over what they currently have. So why would they pay $600 for nothing?

markwebb

Reaction score
I am not terribly surprised. Advertising for the Droid 2 has not been as intense. In fact, I really haven't been seeing tons of ads for any Droid as much as I had seen for the Droid 1. Maybe summer is not the time for major advertising blitzes.

Also, I think Droid X was more desirable. Perhaps launching two "major" phones on same network by same Mfg within one month of each other was not strategically correct. Who knows. I am not a marketing expert.

Droid 2 appears to be just a refresh of Droid 1...although it does have a better keyboard IMHO than the Droid 1 but not enough differences to make me switch.

Still, I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants an excellent smartphone with a physical QWERTY.

Maybe Android is peaking as analysts suggest....

Perhaps there are just too many other Android handsets out there diluting the mix.

SLAMhound

Reaction score
I am not terribly surprised. Advertising for the Droid 2 has not been as intense. In fact, I really haven't been seeing tons of ads for any Droid as much as I had seen for the Droid 1. Maybe summer is not the time for major advertising blitzes.

Also, I think Droid X was more desirable. Perhaps launching two "major" phones on same network by same Mfg within one month of each other was not strategically correct. Who knows. I am not a marketing expert.

Droid 2 appears to be just a refresh of Droid 1...although it does have a better keyboard IMHO than the Droid 1 but not enough differences to make me switch.

Still, I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants an excellent smartphone with a physical QWERTY.

Maybe Android is peaking as analysts suggest....

Perhaps there are just too many other Android handsets out there diluting the mix.

The real reason the D2 isnt that popular IS because it was released just after the Dx. If you were going to get a new android phone you'd probably have purchased the Dx. Also reviews of the D2 arnt as good as the Dx. I personally have used my friends D2 and it wasnt so great, the smaller screen immediately let me down, the DX spoiled me.

When I bought my Dx i could have waited for the D2 but I read the specs, its essentially a Dx with a physical keyboard minus the HDMI, Decent Camera, and Larger screen. With that screen its easy to type, and great for the multimedia experience too.

xxwabbit

Reaction score
+1 for mrdroid. These phones keep coming out too fast. Or maybe not. Can't wait to see what they'll have when my 2 year comes up in early 2012.