Droid 2, only 11000 in sales :(

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I held a D2 the other week. It felt like cheap plastic compared to my D1.

Well, that's about as funny as a statement I've heard. They are identical in size and weight. Cheap plastic? I don't think so. It blows my overclocked rooted droid's doors off. Browser is faster and guess what, when you type you don't have to capitalize the word "I." Worth the price right there IMHO.

I'm really enjoying it. Is it worth 200.00 to upgrade your D1 for? Maybe not, but I don't feel ripped off. I didn't want the X. Plus with it's media features this Droid really does a lot more.

I'm also enjoying this version of 2.2 over the Droids version. It seems more built to the phone. And I'll be around for more upgrades after Gingerbread.

Insult2Injury

Reaction score
I wouldnt buy it. sure it has more memory and swype, but other than that it feels cheaply made like on drop will destroy it, yet the original droid seems much more durable to me and solid.

If i was going to upgrade it be to the X or wait and see what newer phone appear because you know they are just going to keep rolling out

Immolate

Reaction score
When your data doesn't square with reality, your first instinct shouldn't be to question reality.

Question the data. It is seriously flawed. 11k? Really? That should have been your first clue. NWTROP.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt buy it. sure it has more memory and swype, but other than that it feels cheaply made like on drop will destroy it, yet the original droid seems much more durable to me and solid.

If i was going to upgrade it be to the X or wait and see what newer phone appear because you know they are just going to keep rolling out

Well you couldn't be more wrong. It's identical to the original Droid on how it's made. Same weight and size. Read the specs.

Rsswga

Reaction score
im pretty sure the stupid contracts have a lot to do with it....imagine if they were no penalties breaking them..

Insult2Injury

Reaction score

Well you couldn't be more wrong. It's identical to the original Droid on how it's made. Same weight and size. Read the specs.

I understand that, im reffering more to the outer casing of it, idk maybe its just me i just dont like the way it feels. Including the keyboard. i like the risen keys but when i played with it it felt crappy, like after alot of use they keys would be worn off and not have the same feeling when you push down on them anymore like you see with some other phones. Maybe its just me maybe not. Just throwing my input out there lol

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
They certainly solved the problem with the back coming off easily. You have to really work to get the back off this puppy.

And about the dropping thing? I was clumsy as can be the other day when I got mine, must have dropped it 5 times and that's not an exaggeration. Just like my D1 took a licking and kept on ticking.

Downside, yes. only a 8GB SD card, but if you have a D1 you're replacing you can just switched cards. I made a copy of my SD card and put it on my Macs desktop. Then I formatted the 16 gb card and picked and choose what I wanted to be on the card.

It does come with twice as much internal phone space and without rooting you can move certain apps to the SD card, like Google Earth.

donballz

Reaction score
im pretty sure the stupid contracts have a lot to do with it....imagine if they were no penalties breaking them..

Oh yeah, so many more people would have smart phones if they cost six hundred up front. :roll:

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
so many more people would have smart phones if they cost six hundred up front.
I think what was meant was...if people didn't have to wait for their contract to be up to upgrade and could always have the upgrade price, there would be more sales, because $600.00 would never come out of my pocket for a phone

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You don't have to wait for your contract to be up or even to be eligible for upgrade. Call them and ask what they can do for you. My upgrade date was 9/9 they bumped me up and let me get it for the same price.

cj1896

Reaction score
Is anyone surprised? Motorola still hasn't learned from the Razr! Remember they had a huge hit and then did not redesign the subsequent models at all! More educated gadget people may know that the hardware is much improved, but to the average person it looks and feels like a cheaper model of the same phone. I'm very happy to see this as their behavior lately (see locked bootloaders, motoblur on milestone 2) has been so bad that I want them to go down again. A brush with death may bring them back to their senses.

OP
D

Droid X Case

Reaction score
Is anyone surprised? Motorola still hasn't learned from the Razr! Remember they had a huge hit and then did not redesign the subsequent models at all! More educated gadget people may know that the hardware is much improved, but to the average person it looks and feels like a cheaper model of the same phone. I'm very happy to see this as their behavior lately (see locked bootloaders, motoblur on milestone 2) has been so bad that I want them to go down again. A brush with death may bring them back to their senses.

Motorola was going down, it even sold off alot of its assets to stay afloat but when it adopted android it had a hit again. Yes Motorola is making huge mistakes again with their phones, I hate how the Droid X has all these artificial limitations created by Motorola like Root locking, Crippled HDMI, Bloatware, MotoBlur, Slow updates, Back ordered phones, threats of no upgrades for Rooted/froyo updated phones. Why do they try to make their customers hate them so much, ill never know. Its not good business in my opinion. "The customer is always right" if they want to hack their phones let them!

infinity8x3

Reaction score
You don't have to wait for your contract to be up or even to be eligible for upgrade. Call them and ask what they can do for you. My upgrade date was 9/9 they bumped me up and let me get it for the same price.
Funny because I wouldn't trade my D1 for your D2 even if you threw in 100 bucks.

If you love locked bootloaders, and blur then that's your bag. Me personally would never of even gotten into android if it wasn't for the openness of the D1.

Sadly if there is never another dev / google experience phone then I will have to leave android. I don't like moto for there software I like them for there hardware. I like googles software.

It's to the point where I think carriers and phone hardware makers are taking advantage of googles android by hacking and slashing it then locking it down and calling it there own.

And believe me the D2 does not have the tank like build quality of the D1. Any one with a D1 in there pocket can go into a VZW store and play with the D2 display model and tell you that.

I guess love really is blind.

donballz

Reaction score
so many more people would have smart phones if they cost six hundred up front.
I think what was meant was...if people didn't have to wait for their contract to be up to upgrade and could always have the upgrade price, there would be more sales, because $600.00 would never come out of my pocket for a phone
Duh. And I'm saying if you dislike contracts so much then pay full price for your phone. You benfited from the contract model when you paid 200 for your phone. the reason they give you that price is cause the other 350-400 bucks it susidized into the two-year contract. Thats why a data plan is not optional, its a further subsidy to Verizon. *****ing about contracts that enabled you to have the phone in the first place just makes you sound stupid. Not you specifically Rsswga, but that other guy.