Droid 2 Global Battery Life

zero7404

Reaction score
After having my D2G a month I have realized several things.

1- ALWAYS charge via AC plug not USB, it is faster. I can charge in the morning while I drink my coffee with no problem. (I was having issues leaving it plugged in all night)

2; I got a Multimedia station for work to listen to Sirius radio and it charges while I listen so this allows me to have full charge all day.

3; when I complained about the battery dis-charging during the night, Verizon sent me a new one. I charged it and keep it with me as a just in case.

Basically I just adjusted my habits to fit this amazing phone. It is SO WORTH IT!

theres no disputing that the phone is a hotrod of current smartphones ... it's hardware specs are pretty high up there.

but to your point on item 1, have you observed some other undesirable characteristics when charging via USB ? a computer with the correct drivers installed should deliver the correct trickle power to charge the phone properly. i use both USB and outlet charger, so far i haven't been able to tell much difference ...

i would say the outlet charger is better equipped to filter and condition the power being sent to the phone, so perhaps quality of power delivered may be a concern when charging LiIon batteries.

comparision i'm making is similar to comparisons made between tap water and filtered water. not all electricity is created equal either .... one example is a large theater or nightclub, which uses power conditioners to clean/filter ac power for it's equipment.

so a wall charger vs. usb would be the same comparison but on a smaller scale...

jbinbi

Reaction score
kenstar, i am amazed at your numbers. I get those with my d1 doing nothing, i get 24 hrs with my d1 with some use like 10 min phone, 20 texts, and reading emails with ALL radios, gps, wifi, bt on. Not rooted, just a regular d1

but my d2g made it 8 hrs at best doing NOTHING, not being touched, with all radios (except wifi on). rooted and runnng setcpu.

I am going to see if this second phone does any better. If not, it's going back. I was at vzw getting a new one today. Originally, going to return, but they are burning me for a $35 restock fee, and that just pisses me off that I spend probably like 10 hrs reading forums etc. working to try to get my phone to do what the d1 already does.

mrapollinax

Reaction score
Using Fission and SetCPU profiles, Battery Left reports that a full charge on my phone nets me 26 hours of usage. I think the number might be a bit high but under normal corporate usage I can safely get about twenty hours of use out of my phone before I feel the need to re-charge.

Reaction score

1- ALWAYS charge via AC plug not USB, it is faster. I can charge in the morning while I drink my coffee with no problem. (I was having issues leaving it plugged in all night)

2; I got a Multimedia station for work to listen to Sirius radio and it charges while I listen so this allows me to have full charge all day.

3; when I complained about the battery dis-charging during the night, Verizon sent me a new one. I charged it and keep it with me as a just in case.

Basically I just adjusted my habits to fit this amazing phone. It is SO WORTH IT!

theres no disputing that the phone is a hotrod of current smartphones ... it's hardware specs are pretty high up there.

but to your point on item 1, have you observed some other undesirable characteristics when charging via USB ? a computer with the correct drivers installed should deliver the correct trickle power to charge the phone properly. i use both USB and outlet charger, so far i haven't been able to tell much difference ...

i would say the outlet charger is better equipped to filter and condition the power being sent to the phone, so perhaps quality of power delivered may be a concern when charging LiIon batteries.

comparision i'm making is similar to comparisons made between tap water and filtered water. not all electricity is created equal either .... one example is a large theater or nightclub, which uses power conditioners to clean/filter ac power for it's equipment.

so a wall charger vs. usb would be the same comparison but on a smaller scale...

It's a known fact that USB only charges at ~500mA and the wall charger provides up to 850mA... The wall charger charges faster. That's all there is to it.

kenstar

Reaction score
i'll just leave this here ;]
snap20110116103824.png

I'm becoming convinced many of us have defective Droid 2 Globals.

Sent from my Droid 2 Global using the DroidForums App.

There's nothing wrong with your phone. It's all in usage and how your phone is set up. That one day nine hours was full of doing almost nothing. The highest use is screen (that's normal), but the highest non-system user of battery was facebook at 2%. In that 1 day 9 hours, kenstar sent negligible texts, didn't play games, didn't make voice calls, etc etc.... If I just let my phone sit from 100%-15%, I bet I could pull 3 days out of it, easy.

I did make a phone call though a short one.also I did play a game, mini squadron, for like 5 minutes.but this was not enough to impact battery life, thus it did not show.keep in mind I'm NOT using the extended battery as well.
Note: I'm not trying to defend/prove anything, just sharing what I can get.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL

Reaction score
Wasn't accusing you of anything. I also get fantastic battery life (with the extended battery), just pointing out that with longevity comes sacrifices, or at least, adapting your usage style.

kenstar

Reaction score
Rofl. I knew this would happen.that's why I said"note"

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL

jbinbi

Reaction score
kenstar, can you give us what your settings are: are you rooted, any roms, setcpu or similiar controller settings, background data enabled, etc?

kptphalkon

Reaction score
See, the thing is that i have adapted my usage, forcing all data off and not running programs that sync, keeping display low, and even though im running stock from the store i can maybe handle 3 or 4 hours of continuous heavy use, WITH the extended batt.

Is this normal?

Sent from the F-Zero cockpit on my D2G

mrapollinax

Reaction score
Here is a good test. If you put your phone in airplane mode, essentially turning off all data and wireless, do you still get severe battery drain?

BigJermZ

Reaction score
Ok here is my conclusion

I tried everything and now i have no problem making my phone last all day 12hrs easy.

I bought a BP7X battery and did the first two charges full cycles. I got the battery to last longer after every charge. I also left the phone for 5 hrs to see if the battery would go down and nope stayed at 90.

Now the BP6X was fully charged and i put it aside for a rainy day.....i dont really need it anymore so i wanted to drain it some what and store it.....when i put the battery in my phone it read 20% !!!!!!! Went to 20% in 3 days! I believe the BP6X battery are defective and can not hold a charge. While on the phone it will drop 10% every hour and off the phone it will loose power! I believe it can not hold a charge for too long.

Buy the extended battery and wala problems gone.

I use setcpu to ONLY lower to 800 when screen off
I use battery doctor (new app figured ill try it)
And gps and assisted gps on, auto sync (today) is on
And i have a couple widgets that update between hourly and every 4 hrs.

This phone is incredible the coding that moto did is tough to beat (even the other droid overclocked to 1200 still cant come near us on these phones) no matter how much stress i do to the system it still runs fine! Ive never really had the problem of waiting for my phone (which my samsung moment did to the point where i put it down to wait for it to catch up).

My advice keep the phone (fastest phone currently out and will be fastest non-nvidia cpu using device for most of 2011) battery can be resolved by buying extended battery ($50) and u can buy more charging devices as u use more of the power this phone has.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

eNomineZerum

Reaction score
I don't think the bp6x is the issue. My battery started falling off rapidly the last few days on my Global. I discovered I had enabled my email, 3 accounts, to update every 15 mins. This resolved the problem.

Also I get better battery life on the weekend, when I don't work and use the phone a lot, than I do during the week, when I work inside a retail warehouse and sparingly use my phone. My phone has to push harder to maintain a signal which causes rapid battery lose.

By the name of Zero

zero7404

Reaction score
battery quality does have something to do with it. poor quality cells will yeild poor performance.

concerning battery storage for long periods, when the battery is@ 40%, stick it in the refrigerator where the ambient should be 32°-35°f ideally.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

Merc

Reaction score

I did the same thing, I just adjusted my mindset to the phone. I bought two extra batteries so I never run out of juice, and I have the car media dock that helps keep me charged all day if I'm out and about. One thing that seemed to help me was root. I rooted my device using Z4root, and then used titanium backup to freeze all my bloatware. Battery life has noticeably increased. My email is still set on every 15 minutes and my screen is on auto.

jbinbi

Reaction score
Where is the larger battery on the vzw website? I can only get the bt7x for the citruis to come up? when i search for bp7x, nothing. Can someone post up a link? thanks.