Droid 2 Global Battery Life

Reaction score
So I just got my Droid 2 Global on Tuesday, and one thing I can't seem to figure out is why my battery dies so damn fast. Like every 20 or 30min, I will look at it, and my battery will be down by 10%, so after a full charge, it takes like up to like 3 or 4 hours before I need to recharge it again, and thats if I dont use the internet or anyhing that much, i can just let it sit there on standby, and it keeps dropping by 10% every 30min. I make sure my Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS, and all that is off, and I use Advanced Task Manager to kill my background apps, but after I kill them they all restart 5mins later, so thats not helping at all, and I'm thinking its my background apps that our killing my battery. But I cant figure out how to stop them from restarting 5min after I kill them. So any ideas on how I can make my battery last longer like its supposed to. Its supposed to have like 200hrs of Standby time, and like 8hours of talk time. MY gf got the Droid 2 Global as well, the same day, and her battery last way longer then mine, but like I said, I have to keep charging mine every few hours, and Its getting ridiculous. I'm starting to think theres something wrong with my battery or the phone itself. And I cant figure out how to keep my background apps from starting right back up after I kill them, like I said.

brianr0131

Reaction score
First....lose the task killer. Regardless of what vzw reps tell you, they don't help with battery life. Those applications are restarting because they are essential for what your new phone does. The killing/restarting etc all day is probably what's killing your battery.

Battery life on a phone like this isn't great but 3-4 hours isn't right.

OP
BackSeatSuicide
Reaction score
I just started using the task killer app I downloaded today cause I was trying to see if that would help so I've had the problem before I got it. And im just trying to close apps like last.fm and facebook, etc. But they keep restarting. Jim not trying to kill apps that our required to run my phone. And when I kill my tasks its goes from having only like 50 to 60megs of memory available to having 170megs available after I kill them. So whatever apps are running in the background are using alot of ram. So what should I do. I think it could also be that I got a bad battery or something so I was thinking about exchanging my phone for a new one since I still have 30days to do so. So any ideas on what I should do?

brianr0131

Reaction score
I have heard of some people getting phones/batteries with problems in the past. Especially last year when OG Droid came out.

Here's what I would try. Go into market now and uninstall all non essential apps. Wait a few minutes then do a factory reset on the phone. Login with gmail and run the phone with either none or just a few apps for a day or 2 and see how that does for you.

If that doesn't work at all try swapping it out.

If it does work, add apps one or two at a time if possible

OP
BackSeatSuicide
Reaction score
Part of it I think is we conditioned our batteries wrong. When we first go them we let them run out of battery before charging them for the first time and then gave them a full charge. But apparently your not supposed to let the battery run out like that. Your supposed to start charging it once it hits 10 or 15% battery left and then once its charged unplug it. So I wonder if that has something to do with it. And also how bad are widgets on your battery cause we have quite a few on both our phones and I noticed that once I took a couple off my phone runs smoother and the battery isn't draining so fast it seems.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
These batteries don't need any conditioning. It is bad to let them fully die Afaik but the phone turns itself off at 5 %

It may also be bad to overcharge the batt but again the phone regulates that as well.

tappin and a talkin

rage813

Reaction score
You got a bad battery dude just tell them you want a new battery there is absolutely no excuse for 3-4 hour battery life no matter what you have on or off

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the new generation of batteries (5 years or so) dont require conditioning -- there's enough IC hardware built in that the battery knows how to properly charge and manage itself.

OP, something else is wrong. I second getting rid of the task killer. What's the battery manager say?

evanlec

Reaction score
Im also experiencing frustration with battery life on my d2g...every 3-4 hours sounds about right for me too...it really sucks...

OP
BackSeatSuicide
Reaction score
Yea but its not supposed to be that bad. Phone scoop says the Droid 2 global has 230hrs standby and about 8hrs talk time. So something isn't right here. I'm going to verizon tomorrow and getting a new battery or a new Droid 2 alltogether. I just got this phone on Tuesday so I shouldn't be having any problems already. Like I said in my first post. Every like 20-30min I will go to look at my phone and it will have 10% less battery. Which is ridiculous. Especially since I barely used my phone today except for texting. It definitely should be getting way better battery life then this

evanlec

Reaction score
Agreed. I was planning to take mine back and request a new battery as well. But that may not even solve it...hoping someone comes up with a solution...

any d2g users that don't have really bad battery life as we do???

OP
BackSeatSuicide
Reaction score
My gf uses her's more then I do and here's last most of the day and night. But mine just dropped 20% in 30min just from using the webbrowser to look at some articles on google. That's ridiculous. I know other people who own the Droid 2 and the Droid 2 global and they all seem to have better battery life then im having. And even that one person who replied to my original post said 3 to 4 hours is ridiculous no matter what your running. Im pretty sure its the battery cause like I said, no one else I know who owns this phone too is having this bad of battery life except for us

Last edited:

rushtone

Reaction score
I've had this D2G for about a month and a half.
Initial battery life was disappointing, and I would have to recharge every night, sometimes more often if I used it much.
I just got back from 2 weeks in Europe, where battery life got worse, so I more aggressively turned down the data settings. I think the last thing I did was switch to "maximum battery saver".
Back in the states now, and battery life is better (although still sad compared to previous non-android phone).
I charged it yesterday morning, used it a little throughout the day, did not charge overnight, used it a while this morn reading news and this forum, and battery is noww at 60%.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
First with the D2G I would go in to settings, wireless and networks, mobile network and then change the network type from global to CDMA only. The d2g is locked out from using the local GSM networks in the US. You don't need global radio turned on in the US just over seas. I'm not to sure about the situation in Hawaii or Alaska though.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

rage813

Reaction score
I had a battery that only lasted 8 hours I took it back got a new battery same settings now I can go above 24 hours till I get to 30%