3 day battery life on my D2G???

xploited

Reaction score
:icon_eek: My Droid 2 Global is currently at 2 day 16 hours of uptime since unplugged, standard battery, moderate usage (some gaming, some phone calls, some syncing, some data connection, regular music listening)... and it still shows 40% of battery life left...

So, how did it all start?
I have followed some of the suggestions from the Battery Life Writeup thread
1. froze most of the bloatware in Titanium Backup (except for the Global apps)
2. set screen birghtness to Auto
3. set the battery profile to Custom
4. wifi and data disabled unless i need it, background data on
5. animation - all off
6. finally, i flashed the phone to a local CDMA provider, CDMA mode is set to Home Only, and 3G is off unless I need it.
7. i additionally killed and cleared data of the motorola services via built in android app manager

... but that helped only marginally, as I was getting 1.5 days max under minimal use :(

Until one day... I charge the phone in the morning, use it heavily throughout the day - music + data + phone calls... and it's dead in 12 hours. :((( It actually shut off on me in the evening the same day during a phone call... I kinda got frustrated with this phone, since it wouldn't even last through the day when i needed it ....

... so I plugged it in while it was turned off, it charged fully, i unplugged the phone and turned it on before going to bed, now let the WTF begin :icon_eek::

WTF#1: So, I pick the phone up in the morning and it's still @ 100% :icon_eek: after like 10 hours of standby (needless to say it usually loses like 30% from just sitting there overnight). I am like ok.... must be a battery meter lag.

WTF#2: I use the phone normally for the entire day - phone calls, music player + scrobbling via data connection, some syncing.. and by the end of the day the battery is @ 90% :icon_eek:

WTF#3: I pick up the phone next morning after 1.5 day of use and it shows 80% of battery left :icon_eek: At this point i start thinking the battery meter is screwed up on me and it will just shut off while @ 70% or something... but that wasn't meant to be.. I seriously start trying to get it discharged - playing games + wifi + syncing + putting in a sim card + checking mail + browsing... and by the end of the day it's only @60% :icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:

WTF#3 So, again next morning i pick it up and it's @ 40% of battery.:icon_eek: and I have no clue how the hell this happened. right now its approaching 3 full days (2 days, 18 hours) of heavy - moderate use and the battery still shows 40% left. :icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:

Any ideas how this could happen? I will try to reproduce it once it finally discharges by letting the battery die completely and charging it while it's turned off. Anyway... your thoughts?

Last edited:

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
maybe I am reading this wrong but it looks like you turned your phone into a phone only with no smart in it so your battery is lasting forever.....am I right?

If so I don't see the point of having the phone if you aren't going to use it for what it can do. But that is just me. I mean how exactly are you "heavily" or "moderately" using it if everything is off?

OP
X

xploited

Reaction score
maybe I am reading this wrong but it looks like you turned your phone into a phone only with no smart in it so your battery is lasting forever.....am I right?

If so I don't see the point of having the phone if you aren't going to use it for what it can do. But that is just me. I mean how exactly are you "heavily" or "moderately" using it if everything is off?

Well, all the smart phone functions work when I need them. The animation and wifi + data is turned off by default, but I turn it on when I need it.
I use the phone as a music player regularly, and I've been getting 1 day of battery life previously with the same usage.

I was kind of thinking that force stopping and clearing data of one of the motorola services did the trick. Because previously my phone lost 30% of battery being idle overnight, and now it doesn't lose anything :icon_eek:.

Damon

Reaction score

How to last battery and make best use of your smart phone. That is the point!~~

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
I will try to reproduce it once it finally discharges by letting the battery die completely and charging it while it's turned off. Anyway... your thoughts?
Do you have a standalone charger or that Motorola USB Flash Cable?

Since with the stock charger, the phone won't be able to charge from a dead battery, so this looks like a pretty dangerous idea.

OP
X

xploited

Reaction score
I will try to reproduce it once it finally discharges by letting the battery die completely and charging it while it's turned off. Anyway... your thoughts?
Do you have a standalone charger or that Motorola USB Flash Cable?

Since with the stock charger, the phone won't be able to charge from a dead battery, so this looks like a pretty dangerous idea.

I charged it with my Motorola Milestone wall charger after it was completely discharged. This might also be why it lasted for 3 days.:)

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
What did you clear? I am having the absolute worst battery life I have every experienced with this D2G

OP
X

xploited

Reaction score
What did you clear? I am having the absolute worst battery life I have every experienced with this D2G

Either your battery is dying or some of the apps are using too much power.
If it's the former, try the following:
1. set your default launcher to LauncherPro
2. follow the steps in the Battery Life Writeup thread if you haven't yet
3. turn off wifi and data unless you are using it
4. clear your battery stats using Calibrate Battery app
5. discharge your phone completely until it dies (if you have a wall charger)
6. charge it back up while turned off, turn it on once done.

7. force stop & clear data for the following services - (proceed at your own risk lol it didn't break my phone but it might break yours :))
- Task Manager (freeze it)
- Bluetooth Share / Bluetooth Dun (if you don't use bluetooth)
- com.motorola.photowidget
- Email Engine (if you don't use email app)
- Home (if you use launcherpro)
- Motorola Services
- Social Messaging Service
- TTS Service (if you don't use tts)
- Voice commands (if you don't use voice commands)

Then, theoretically you should have the same battery life as I do. :D

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
ok so I have or am already doing some of these.....I am using LPP, have calibrated battery with the app and followed instructions to the "T", am using wifi but am also plugged in when doing so, Social messaging is frozen, as is bluetooth, photowidget, home.....I mean I guess I could do more but what I am getting at is on my D2 I had Home frozen, blockbuster, nfs, skype, fbook, twitter, and a few others frozen and the battery life was triple....

I don't think the extended battery is dying as it is only a couple months old at the most. But I suppose it could be faulty. Hmm.....

OP
X

xploited

Reaction score
ok so I have or am already doing some of these.....I am using LPP, have calibrated battery with the app and followed instructions to the "T", am using wifi but am also plugged in when doing so, Social messaging is frozen, as is bluetooth, photowidget, home.....I mean I guess I could do more but what I am getting at is on my D2 I had Home frozen, blockbuster, nfs, skype, fbook, twitter, and a few others frozen and the battery life was triple....

I don't think the extended battery is dying as it is only a couple months old at the most. But I suppose it could be faulty. Hmm.....

Have you tried discharging it completely and charging it back up?
This helped me extend my battery life even on my Milestone. :D

p.s. also look up battery usage and check what's using up most of the battery life. if you haven't done that of course.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah I did that....that's part of the instructions of the battery calibration app. When I look up usage is shows display as first and Android OS as second. I have never seen the OS that high up before. I just think this phone is tripping. What's worse is when I SBF'd it the battery life was actually worse.

OP
X

xploited

Reaction score
Yeah I did that....that's part of the instructions of the battery calibration app. When I look up usage is shows display as first and Android OS as second. I have never seen the OS that high up before. I just think this phone is tripping. What's worse is when I SBF'd it the battery life was actually worse.

In the battery usage windows if you click on OS it will show you which OS processes exactly used the battery. Take a look at that too and maybe you will find a process that sabotages your battery life. :)

OP
X

xploited

Reaction score
Hi guys, just stopping by to update that since my original post I went through a couple of charge-discharge cycles, always getting 2-3 days of battery life, depending on my usage.

So, as you see, it's possible to get this kind of battery life if using the phone as smartphone
wink.gif
cause well.. that's what's happening to mine
smile.gif

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
4. wifi and data disabled unless i need it, background data on
Pointless to have background data on. If you turn off data how can background data work?

Hi guys, just stopping by to update that since my original post I went through a couple of charge-discharge cycles, always getting 2-3 days of battery life, depending on my usage.

So, as you see, it's possible to get this kind of battery life if using the phone as smartphone
wink.gif
cause well.. that's what's happening to mine
smile.gif
Your disabling data when the phone is in use. Thats not a smart phone.

Off topic: Why are you hot linking smiles from xda when you just need to put [noparse];)[/noparse] (note i disabled the tags there) in your post and it shows up like this ;) ?