Global vs Droid 2 battery life

707droidmaster

Reaction score
i wear my charger around my neck everywhere i go cause my battery life is so poor...... i love my droid tho......

OP
draexo

draexo

Reaction score
Display is 1 hour 34min.

Cell standby is 1 day 6 hrs 26 min. Time no signal is 46%....makes no sense as I am surrounded by towers. My wife's time no signal is zero. My wife is set to performance mode on her Droid X. I am set for battery saver mode.

Idle is 14 hr 37 mind.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Display is 1 hour 34min.

Cell standby is 1 day 6 hrs 26 min. Time no signal is 46%....makes no sense as I am surrounded by towers. My wife's time no signal is zero. My wife is set to performance mode on her Droid X. I am set for battery saver mode.

Idle is 14 hr 37 mind.

That would explain it.... try updating roaming. I was having problems when I first got my d2g with that.

I'd post mine but its been on charge most of the day since I was out of school sick.... ill post them tomorrow though.

Sent from my Liberated D2G

OP
draexo

draexo

Reaction score
Updated roaming with * 228
and so far I have no time without signal. I do not understand as I never had a dropped call or loss of service....

OP
draexo

draexo

Reaction score
I appreciate everyones help. Going to see what happens over next few days.

ObieNobie

Reaction score
I just got set cpu for my d2g I'll update this if it improves my battery life by much.

OP
draexo

draexo

Reaction score
Battery lasting much longer with all these suggestions.

biknut1

Reaction score
Another battery life inquisition. My wife's work gave her a D2 in December, and I bought a D2G about a week afterwards. She can go 14-16 hours a day with hers, listening to audio books and talking quite a bit. Mine eats battery like crazy. I take it off the car charger at 100%. I talk to my wife about 1 1/2 hours/day because we work different shifts. I use Facebook and internet during breaks, chat with her during lunch about 40 minutes of the 1 1/2 hours. At the end of the day, I'm lucky to come out of work with life still left. I am rooted, running Fission 2.4.3, have CPU Tuner, have ATK by Rechild set to crazy, keep brightness at lowest setting, timeout at 1 minute. Today I put phone in airplane mode while working, and it still lost 10% in 2 hours. When I check usage, it says about 50-60% on calls, about 12-18% on display, for the top 2. Everything else dwindles down under that %. Any ideas where to go from here? I noticed this post quoted below. How do I update roaming? What does it do?

That would explain it.... try updating roaming. I was having problems when I first got my d2g with that.

Thanks for suggestions!

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Another battery life inquisition. My wife's work gave her a D2 in December, and I bought a D2G about a week afterwards. She can go 14-16 hours a day with hers, listening to audio books and talking quite a bit. Mine eats battery like crazy. I take it off the car charger at 100%. I talk to my wife about 1 1/2 hours/day because we work different shifts. I use Facebook and internet during breaks, chat with her during lunch about 40 minutes of the 1 1/2 hours. At the end of the day, I'm lucky to come out of work with life still left. I am rooted, running Fission 2.4.3, have CPU Tuner, have ATK by Rechild set to crazy, keep brightness at lowest setting, timeout at 1 minute. Today I put phone in airplane mode while working, and it still lost 10% in 2 hours. When I check usage, it says about 50-60% on calls, about 12-18% on display, for the top 2. Everything else dwindles down under that %. Any ideas where to go from here? I noticed this post quoted below. How do I update roaming? What does it do?

Thanks for suggestions!

First off get auto task killer the hell off your system, it is only hurting your battery. The reason you lost 10%+ during those 2 hours of airplane standby are because your task killer is causing android to constantly reload apps, draining more battery. Do NOT use task killers, they do not help. Having full ram does NOT use more battery. There are 1000 threads about this.

I wouldnt worry about your roaming coverage it is an opinionated remedy at best.

Other than that the only things i find that actually extend heavy use are undervolting/underclocking and keeping the screen as low as possible, and even then you miiggghhhtt get another hour or two of extreme non stop use at best.

EDIT: having apps in the background use absolutely no cpu, and minimal battery power from ram refresh...ram refresh happens whether u have full or empty ram, it is more efficient to have your ram loaded. The only exception is when you actively run something like music in the b/g.

Do a forum search, there are just as many battery "fix" threads as battery complaint threads.
Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my Fission 2.4.3 D2G

OP
draexo

draexo

Reaction score
Roaming update on Verizon is *228. It made my phone use less battery on standby after I updated roaming. This did make a difference for me.

I am in the US and I turned off the Global (GSM/UMTS) radio and only left the CDMA radio on. That is under Settings>Wireless & networks>Mobile Networks>Network Mode> Preferred network mode - this is set to CDMA.

I rooted using Z4root and I use QuickClock to undervolt. I also turned down the brightness on the display.

Those changes seem to have made a difference. I also purchased the extended battery from Verizon. I have no trouble getting through a day now.

Also, turn off Wifi, BLuetooth, and GPS unless you need them.

You do not need any of those task killers from the market.

Reaction score
Just for the record, you can leave GPS on all the time, unless you're paranoid that you're being tracked by the Gov't (in which case, it doesn't matter.. If they want to track you, they will). The GPS receiver only uses battery when it's active, when apps send a call to it. It's safe to leave on all the time without negatively affecting your battery, and saves you one step when you switch to navigation. It's useful for me because I often pick up my phone while driving and say "Navigate to: address", because I don't like looking at/touching my phone while driving, and not having to go into settings and turn on the GPS first is nice.

OP
draexo

draexo

Reaction score
Just for the record, you can leave GPS on all the time, unless you're paranoid that you're being tracked by the Gov't (in which case, it doesn't matter.. If they want to track you, they will). The GPS receiver only uses battery when it's active, when apps send a call to it. It's safe to leave on all the time without negatively affecting your battery, and saves you one step when you switch to navigation. It's useful for me because I often pick up my phone while driving and say "Navigate to: address", because I don't like looking at/touching my phone while driving, and not having to go into settings and turn on the GPS first is nice.

Good to know.