Practical Droid 2 Global battery life assessment

lingcod777

Reaction score
At the risk of another drawn out battery thread, there seems to be a lot of conflicting assessments of D2G battery life.

I, and I'm sure many others, am on the fence to pull the trigger on a D2G or wait 6+ months for hardware/software to mature such that battery life hopefully improves so questions like this are not required.

Bases on the light to moderate usage summarized below, which seems reasonable for someone in an office workforce environment, will I get a good 10-12 hour day out of a D2 Global?**

1) Touchdown for push exchange (200+ emails received, 5-10 sent)
2) Stock (possible 3rd party app) for gmail*
3) Limited gtalk/SMS (e.g. 5-10 messages sent)
4) NewsRob for RSS (assume no background synch or cache)
5) No facebook, twitter, or other social media drains (one of the remaining 100 refusing to join this bandwagon)
6) Roughly 1.5 hours of combined usage throughout the day (reading/responding to email, limited browsing, occasionally checking rss feeds to/from parking lot, read a few pages of a kindle book, etc).
7) Stock firmware. *Assume no interest in rooting.
8) Possible run LauncherPro over stock Moto UI
9) Limited calls (less then 20 minutes talking)
10) No other widgets checking stock quotes or the weather conditions every 5 minutes
11) For the sake of argument, assume it's locked in CDMA mode only
12) Assume no WiFi or BT

All bets off for any heavy usage and*I have no issue charging my phone every night. *I'll bring along a charger or spare battery for heavy usage day.

For the record (not looking to open a BB debate) my waiting to be replaced by the right Verizon Android world phone Storm adequately makes it through the day described above with spare juice to go.

Thanks for any feedback.

Stupid

Reaction score
If you keep charging it, sure; otherwise, no way it would last more than 6.

Santa

Reaction score
have got max 9 hrs before it drops to 30% or less

I am on 6th 7th day and have tried many things like setting to CDMA only and installing a app called "ASTRO" very misleading app.. but hidden has two widgets "processes" and "App Mgr" which help see all programs and process and it has menu to kill all UNNECESSARY Apps and processes. I see some improvements in battery life.
App mgr gives you to backup all downloaded apps which is good for any time you have to do wipe clean device then all you have to do is reinstall one app ASTRO and then restore all your apps from SD card from prior backup...
The APP was recommended and installed by VZ tech help when I complained that battery is bad..
Lets see if it improves ,... by the i am also ex BB strom user and I am happy to charge every night as long as it works atleast entire day without having to worry about will i have my droid working on my commute back...
:motdroidhoriz::icon_ banana:dancedroid

lbovill

Reaction score
I am on the fifth day of ownership, switched from an Htc Evo. I managed to stretch the evo to 10-13 hours with root, autostart killer and setcpu, I installed the same on here, but haven't had a chance to see how long it will go. So far 5.5 hours and 60% battery. That second half of the battery seems to drain faster than the first.

If you root, you can underclock the D2G when not in use and stretch that battery life out... Also, your signal level makes a difference.

Good luck in your decision, my first impression of this phone is that it is very capable.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

Techjourney

Reaction score
I just got the D2G on Monday and I'm loving it. I've noticed with each day of ownership battery life improves. Today has been a real test. Unplugging from charger at 5am, it is now 7:52 and I have 30% left and am 2 hrs from home. Let's see if it will last that long. Stock D2G not rooted, yet. :)

Techjourney

Reaction score
I just got the D2G on Monday and I'm loving it. I've noticed with each day of ownership battery life improves. Today has been a real test. Unplugging from charger at 5am, it is now 7:52 and I have 30% left and am 2 hrs from home. Let's see if it will last that long. Stock D2G not rooted, yet. :)

Well I've made it home almost 16 1/2 hours later and have 20% Battery life left. During that time I had the D2G powered off for about 2 1/2 hours. During the up time I did the following:

1 hour wifi usage. Turned off after using.
Ten phone calls lasting no longer than 10 minutes each.
Six text messages sent and recieved.
Bluetooth, GPS, Air Plane mode turned off.
CDMA only.
Background data on.
Push/fetch off.

This is with the standard battery and does not represent a typical day for me but I'm quite pleased with the results. As always YMMV.

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
I took advice from someone on the forum to let it drain to nearly the end. im using it as often as I can but I also be sure to kill n e apps I used. so far in several weeks its been holding all day. adjust ur settings like ur background lite, etc. I think d2g is a great phone. give it time I think.
just an fyi, I've been a BB fan forever but I believe I made the right choice

Aloha from Hawaii ... via D2G