Droid 2 Global Battery Life

Mr. Killzone

Reaction score
This is with an extended battery, and virtually no usage...

Sent from my Droid 2 Global using the DroidForums App.

While what you say is true, with the original battery and ACTUALLY no use, other than being on but the screen turned off, I could still barely get six full hours. I am happier now with the battery life I am getting.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

I was referring to my situation. I am using the extended battery and had virtually no usage, and I still get terrible battery life, even while idle...

My apologies, I misunderstood. With my extended I got good life from the get go and it seems that juice defender has helped. Perhaps you got a bad extended?
Also I force stopped just about every app that came with the phone, I.e. weather, news, gps, etc. I am sure you have done this I am just trying to think of what I did.

Mr. Killzone

Reaction score
What does the background data do? If I turn it off I assume it will help battery life but what will it affect (effect?)?

Reaction score
Here's my battery app's readout, after 11 straight hours of MP3s at work, some texting, web, email, and voice calls.

korm2.png

ExodusC

Reaction score
JuiceDefender seems to be helping somewhat... We'll see when I put it through its paces tomorrow.

eNomineZerum

Reaction score
How were you listening to the music? External Speaker, Bluetooth, or corded headphones?

Also, you worked for 11 hours straight? j/k
By the name of Zero

BigJermZ

Reaction score
I have just purchased the extended battery and im also using battery doctor....so far one hour later @ 90% wit music playing and a few phone calls.
Case does fit but feels like its stressed a lil so i took it off and will wait till cases for the extended battery comes out.

Sent from my STOCK DROID2 GLOBAL wit BP7X using DroidForums App

shaddix

Reaction score
I read you need to use the extended battery without the cover and the cases fit better

ExodusC

Reaction score
Get this, I used my Droid today with JuiceDefender. It was going okay, until later on, my battery started to drain extremely quickly. Android System had used up 60% battery, while the display had only used about 20%, for comparison.

I only got 6 hours of life out of almost no usage, and this is with the extended battery.

Any ideas, guys? I almost want to return the phone and get a new one, since it seems random as to whether or not you get good battery life.

BigJermZ

Reaction score
Get this, I used my Droid today with JuiceDefender. It was going okay, until later on, my battery started to drain extremely quickly. Android System had used up 60% battery, while the display had only used about 20%, for comparison.

I only got 6 hours of life out of almost no usage, and this is with the extended battery.

Any ideas, guys? I almost want to return the phone and get a new one, since it seems random as to whether or not you get good battery life.

(I didnt use the batt cover and the case fit real real snugg)

As for juice defender ive heard it drains the battery faster by trying to shut apps down. Certain apps on these phones on will auto reload everytime and the android OS 2.2 even tries to guess which apps u will want to use and start them in the background but there "sopposely" not using up cpu or batt.

I am using the extended batt today for the first time and @ 9hrs i got 30% left with real moderate usage....benchtest's, browser, youtube, maps, txt and calls. And most of the day i had nexus wallpaper going, setcpu is set to 800mhz when screen off only. I am using a new app called battery doctor and from what i see its a short cut of settings, batt info, and charging info.

I did a complete full cycle last night (at 10% charge till full and i let sit chargin over night

zero7404

Reaction score
Here's my battery app's readout, after 11 straight hours of MP3s at work, some texting, web, email, and voice calls.

korm2.png

are you using the bp6x battery ?

would you mind posting your full configuration & settings ?
i find it hard to believe you're running ondemand up to 1 GHz, moderate use and getting about 20+ hrs @ with only 50% battery used.

kenstar

Reaction score
Like 'Niceguy', I too am getting good battery usage. I try to get a screenshot of it around 20+ hrs, but it usually freezes on unlock, so this resets the unplugged time.

I charged my phone earlier today but only to 90%. I was browsing on it pretty heavily, and I started playing that mini squadron game haha, I ended up playing it for at least 1 hr. If you don't know it is a pretty phone intensive game, however my battery was only down to 30% and my display was showing 45% usage this was a little over 5hrs unplugged on battery status screen. Sucks for ppl who get crappy battery times.

ExodusC

Reaction score
So for those of us with bad battery life-- what the hell are we supposed to do?

Should I go back and ask Verizon for a replacement D2G?

I really can't deal with losing 10% battery an hour (on my extended battery) with EVERYTHING off, and virtually no usage.

BigJermZ

Reaction score
So for those of us with bad battery life-- what the hell are we supposed to do?

Should I go back and ask Verizon for a replacement D2G?

I really can't deal with losing 10% battery an hour (on my extended battery) with EVERYTHING off, and virtually no usage.

I bought the extended battery and this is my 3rd batt cycle and it seems to get better every full cycle i use it down to 20% or under then charge fully and so far its increaseing by an hour at least

zero7404

Reaction score
Like 'Niceguy', I too am getting good battery usage. I try to get a screenshot of it around 20+ hrs, but it usually freezes on unlock, so this resets the unplugged time.

I charged my phone earlier today but only to 90%. I was browsing on it pretty heavily, and I started playing that mini squadron game haha, I ended up playing it for at least 1 hr. If you don't know it is a pretty phone intensive game, however my battery was only down to 30% and my display was showing 45% usage this was a little over 5hrs unplugged on battery status screen. Sucks for ppl who get crappy battery times.

i haven't seen posts regarding actual software/OS setup. do you have root, do you have apps deleted/frozen, do you have setcpu running, do you keep data/sync/wifi/bt off, no details, so how can we compare or figure out how you're getting this great battery life while many many others are not ?

some details at this point....

Reaction score
How were you listening to the music? External Speaker, Bluetooth, or corded headphones?

Also, you worked for 11 hours straight? j/k
By the name of Zero

Headphones. And yeah, I'm basically a high end handyman for rich people. So when they want a job done by a certain day, you work till you're on/ahead of schedule, not till 5. I worked 8 to 7 yesterday and 7:30 to 6:15 today. You see why being able to use my phone as an mp3 player ALL DAY is important to me.

0sevenfourzerofour said:
are you using the bp6x battery ?

would you mind posting your full configuration & settings ?
i find it hard to believe you're running ondemand up to 1 GHz, moderate use and getting about 20+ hrs @ with only 50% battery used.

I'm using the BP7X, because I didn't mind the back case not matching, as you have to remove it to use the Seidio Innocase anyway. (Protip, this works with MOST cases).

Let's see, off the top of my head, my battery saving measures are:

Data/wifi/bluetooth completely off unless I need them. Obviously, being at work, I don't want to be pulling my phone out all the time, but when I'm eating lunch, or taking a poo on the clock, I turn data on and check my email, browse forums, etc. It never takes more than 2 or 3 seconds to turn on and be usable, and I usually have my email within the first 10 to 15 seconds, which is plenty fast. I'm not important enough to need true push email.

I use quicksettings as a quick toggle to turn on wifi/bluetooth, as well as control brightness, volume, and ringer.

Edited to add: I keep my brightness at about 28%. It's usable outside, in sunlight (Important, since I live in Florida) in 99% of situations. In those that it's not, I just open quick settings and bump it up, then turn it down when I'm done (or when I remember haha).

I have a shortcut on my main homescreen to the Data Manager menu, from which I can enable/disable data and background data. Quick settings has a setting for this, but it does it by renaming the APN, not turning off the radio.

I use screebl, which is an app that monitors the orientation of your phone, and when it's in prescribed ranges (which you can calibrate) it keeps your screen unlocked, but when it goes out of those ranges (or is still for too long), it turns it off at an interval which you can define. Mine is set to the software minimum of 15 seconds.

I'm rooted, and used titanium backup to freeze almost all of the motoblur, except for basics like the dialer and text messaging/gallery (Protip: you NEED these for MMS to work if you use a different app like handcent).

I actually don't always run at 1GHz with ondemand..... I generally run at the full 1.2GHz with a 300MHz minimum with ondemand scaling... dancedroid droid does, baby dancedroid My SetCPU profiles are (in order of priority from highest to lowest):

Temp > 41C 600/300
Screen Off > 600/300
Charging/Full 1200/300
Battery < 16% 600/300
Battery < 31% 800/300
Battery < 41% 1000/300

I think that's about it. Again, I'm not necessarily the most demanding user, but with my settings, my battery life is something I can live with happily, and it fits my lifestyle perfectly.

For example, today was a bad day for me, but probably a good day for some here, based on your posts.

yE9tg.png

Last edited: