Droid 2 Global Battery Life

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
the percentage discrepancy between the d2 and d2g is something that should be input as a bug on google code ... hopping over there right now ...

edit:

go here to report bugs/enhancements/defects to google:

android - Project Hosting on Google Code

must log in to be able to enter an item.

It might not be a bug and just how the phone handles the battery. I am not an expert on this but both phones can consider what is a full battery differently.

ExodusC

Reaction score
The original Droid also had half the power of the D2G and it is running the same battery. Not sure how moto reads the battery. Does it take into account the amount of power the phone uses and calculates the remaining percentage from that?

Just SBFed D2G, battery reads 100% in D2 and 70% in D2G. Android System 23% with phone being unplugged for 7 minutes...battery that reads 50% in D2 is reading 30% in D2G with OEM ROM.

Screen grab on left is d2 and on right is d2g just SBFed. Same battery, minutes apart. Reads 70% in D2G with OEM ROM and 100% on D2 with Fission ROM. So I guess that leaves out Fission reading the battery wrong. I am not just saying that cause fission is my baby :) I would love to get better battery life out of the D2G so I can use it every day.

I'm glad it's clarified then; but why is it many people get way over 24 hours, and we can't under any circumstances?...

Sent from my Droid 2 Global using the DroidForums App.

Maybe we use our phones more than they do :) Music seems to be a killer for me. I am so not happy with battery life, with OEM or Fission ROM...I do not think there is much we can do since the CPU and GPU seem to be using more power even if we underclock CPU. We need the ability to undervolt too.

How is it that they can have their phones idle for six hours and only lose 10% battery, yet with my extended, with virtually everything off, idling for six hours would reduce me to less than 50%?...

Something is really wrong here. Some people get awesome battery life, others get terrible.

zero7404

Reaction score
maybe defective hardware ? if so, that would tick me off seeing that this is my second d2g because my first one was unlockable.

ExodusC

Reaction score
maybe defective hardware ? if so, that would tick me off seeing that this is my second d2g because my first one was unlockable.

Possibly. Did I note that from 100% battery to 90% takes around 3 minutes usually? I've timed it.

I'd hate to return it, but if Verizon will give me a new one and it fixes the battery problems, I'll consider it.

zero7404

Reaction score

Possibly. Did I note that from 100% battery to 90% takes around 3 minutes usually? I've timed it.

I'd hate to return it, but if Verizon will give me a new one and it fixes the battery problems, I'll consider it.

verizon sees fit to give refurb if more than 30 days passed from moment of purchase. that's not good enough for me even though i know many refurbs have had their bezels/liners replaced with new.
still prefer new for the overall value of the device over time ....

Mr. Killzone

Reaction score
I was having the same problem with losing 10% in the first five minutes, but, as I said in an earlier post, for me the problem was fixed by getting an extended battery and downloading juice defender.

ExodusC

Reaction score
I was having the same problem with losing 10% in the first five minutes, but, as I said in an earlier post, for me the problem was fixed by getting an extended battery and downloading juice defender.

This is with an extended battery, and virtually no usage...

eNomineZerum

Reaction score
When I find the blog post I'll post it, if I can find it. The sudden drop fromm 100% can be explained because Lithium Ion batteries are damaged when they hold a full 100% charge. In actuality the battery gets near 95% then drains down towards >90% before the charging actually begins again. This, while decietful to the user, enables for a long life of the battery.

I know that doesn't fully explain everything, I know on stock I have had instances where I would lose 80% in 7 hours then next day, in smae building, only lose 50%.

By the name of Zero

Edit: Phandroid reposted what was originally posted at XDA

http://phandroid.com/2010/12/25/you...is-lying-to-you-and-its-not-such-a-bad-thing/

zero7404

Reaction score
this battery issue is a confirmed hardware problem according to google. i put in a bug report on the code web site and got it declined with the message: hardware issue for motorola. this likely pertains to the d2g

posted via android

Riesj

Reaction score

You this on quite a few phones, a friend of mine's SGS also goes from 100 to 95 in the first 2-3 minutes, however it takes a long time to go to 90.

On my D2G i had this problem too in the beginning, and couldn't get a full day's worth out of it, but not anymore. I don't know what fixed it, it was either time (few recharge cycles), Fission, or resetting the battery information with clockworks (or a combination ot the three.

Now it takes about 30 minutes to 2 hours to go from 100 to 90%, depending on useage. With light useage:
- email-sync every 15 minutes
- one or two 5 minute phone calls and 2-3 sms messages a day
- about 30 minutes of gaming or browsing a day
the normal battery lasts two full days. With heavy useage I easily get through a 17 hour day.

What I've noticed is that some apps tend to drain the battery much quicker then on other phones, and also a lot of switching of GSM/3G towers drains the battery more.

Last edited:

Mr. Killzone

Reaction score

While what you say is true, with the original battery and ACTUALLY no use, other than being on but the screen turned off, I could still barely get six full hours. I am happier now with the battery life I am getting.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

ExodusC

Reaction score

While what you say is true, with the original battery and ACTUALLY no use, other than being on but the screen turned off, I could still barely get six full hours. I am happier now with the battery life I am getting.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

I was referring to my situation. I am using the extended battery and had virtually no usage, and I still get terrible battery life, even while idle...

Scrappy Doo

Reaction score
I have been reading all the post about battery life and mine was bad at first. Over time it got better but was nothing compared to my Blackbeery that could go several days. I've installed Juice Defender, shut down apps, don't know what rom even is, updated the OS over the weekend, took off the nice cover my wife bought me and my battery has improved greatly. I haven't documented any stats, but with some folks changing and adding apps, rom, and other stuff I wonder if that is causing more problems than helping.

Scrappy Doo

Reaction score
Ok, so lots of useful info in this thread! I have the short battery life like everyone else. I want to get great battery life, and want to try some of this stuff...but not really sure where to start. I really dont want to turn this thing into a brick. I really dont know anything about "rooting" or what that even means??

My wife has the D2, and we got hers on debut day. she has had no issues with hers, and goes much longer than mine, and she is always on it! I keep mine in airplane mode at work (7a-3p) and still have to charge every night.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a starting point?

Thanks

I'm with you. I wish someone would write An Idiots Guide for Droides. I know nothing about rooting or other phrases that come up. My battery life has drastically improved overtime and a few apps.

ExodusC

Reaction score
I'm going to cycle the extended battery I just got a couple times, as well as install JuiceDefender.

I've gotta get the battery life up on this thing somehow.

I had read somewhere on here that someone had gotten undervolting to work in Fission, which seems like it would help a lot (it helped my old Nexus One).