Droid 2 Disappointment

lizzbeth10

Reaction score
Am very disappointed in the total lack of ringtone customization possible with this phone, especially as it pertains to notifications and calendar events. Currently, notification/calendar alerts are so low in volume and short in duration that if you're not paying strict attention, you have missed these! Please tell me there are plans to correct this so that new ringtones can be downloaded and applied this way. Otherwise, I'm better off going back to my LG enV3.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well which ringtone are you using for notifications. If you don't like it change it. Download ringdroid from the marketplace. It will allow you to clip ringtones from your music.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

D

Dragon3463

Don't talk about the android operating system...even though it sucks big time. for a phone that does, it's alot it doesn't do without the help of third party apps? Why is is that if the OS is so great?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I think this is the second time we've ended up in this conversation. Seeing as there is a third party app available to do what you need to do, what is the point in complaining. Most if not all of the" droid does" commercials feature endorsements of third party apps especially the ones that show the droid globe of apps hovering around the phone.

If you want to complain that's fine but why jump in to a thread where someone is seeking advice and bash the os.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Add ur own...make a folder called media with subfolders ...notifications and ringtones

Sent from my DROID2

OP
L

lizzbeth10

Reaction score
Ringdroid Isn't the Answer

Maybe I'm missing something, but I've downloaded Ringdroid, and can't find a way to make it work with Droid 2. Calendar (notification) ringtones cannot be customized as far as I've been able to determine; you must choose from the default tones, and for the most part, they're not much more than a series of beeps, which again, are too short and too low in volume to be of any real use if you rely on a calendar as much as I do for reminders! I'm open to any real help in remedying this.

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Maybe I'm missing something, but I've downloaded Ringdroid, and can't find a way to make it work with Droid 2. Calendar (notification) ringtones cannot be customized as far as I've been able to determine; you must choose from the default tones, and for the most part, they're not much more than a series of beeps, which again, are too short and too low in volume to be of any real use if you rely on a calendar as much as I do for reminders! I'm open to any real help in remedying this.
I have customized notifications on my droid2 by making the folder I mentioned above

Sent from my DROID2

OP
L

lizzbeth10

Reaction score
More Specific, Please?

Thanks, Malvado, for your kind attention. Could you be more specific re creating and using custom folders? What I'd like to do is downnload the same ringtones from Verizon that I used w/my other cell phones, i.e., "Wm Tell Overture (Lone Ranger)" to remind me that I have to go somewhere, "Typewriter Sound Effect" to remind me to do something on computer, "Who Let the Dogs Out" to remind me of vet appointment, etc. It's also the only way I can keep track of my COPD and othe life-saving meds! Your further help would be appreciated.

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Thanks, Malvado, for your kind attention. Could you be more specific re creating and using custom folders? What I'd like to do is downnload the same ringtones from Verizon that I used w/my other cell phones, i.e., "Wm Tell Overture (Lone Ranger)" to remind me that I have to go somewhere, "Typewriter Sound Effect" to remind me to do something on computer, "Who Let the Dogs Out" to remind me of vet appointment, etc. It's also the only way I can keep track of my COPD and othe life-saving meds! Your further help would be appreciated.
ok so on your sd card, you will create a new folder and name it "media" (no caps no quotes) once that folder is created, you will then open it and inside make subfolders "notifications" and "ringtones". Then u just add the custom sounds you want into watever category you want. Once done, the sounds should show up in the list of sounds when changing them from the system menu.

Sent from my DROID2

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Don't talk about the android operating system...even though it sucks big time. for a phone that does, it's alot it doesn't do without the help of third party apps? Why is is that if the OS is so great?

Does your PC do EVERYTHING right out of the box before you install 3rd party apps? Didn't think so. Same thing with Android. Truth be told, people need to stop thinking of these devices as PHONES. They are miniature PCs.

The beauty of Android is that it is open source, thus, it's easy for developers to create 3rd party apps. It is, however, designed to be a modular solution.

If your chief complaint with Android is that it needs 3rd party apps to do everything you want it to; then perhaps Android is not a good OS fit for your particular useage pattern. I'm not sure what would be, though, aside from a non-smartphone device. Because even the mighty iPhone relies on apps to make it great.