Droid 2 Files-Transfer Ringtones I Put on Phone To Correct File

eg146

Reaction score
I have a program I bought for one of my old Blackberries call RCP Ringtones. It's the only program I ever spent $17 on but I like the professional tones when I'm work or in a work setting.

So I connect the Droid 2 to the PC and left the pop up menu on the default option or #1 selection "PC Mode". I saw the Droid when i clicked My Computer so i copied the RCP Ringtones file and placed it in the Droid files.

Now because I think I did it the wrong way, I see the file in my phone files but can't figure out how to move the file so it shows up as a ringtone option when i change notification or ringer sounds?

How do i fix this?

Also can someone explain how the sounds work? For example: What is a ringtone vs.a Notification sound? When is Media ever used as an alert? And in the clock it has alarm volume but no choice of alarm sound.

I never quite understood what the difference was/is, I'm used to profiles like in Blackberry, could someone give me a brief explanation of the sounds and when the would be used?

I have set sounds for emails, text, alarm, and calendar but sometimes they don't make noise and i may have an email sitting for an hour.

Also what the heck does Toast mean as a type of notification? Just curious.

Thanks for helping the newb!

Taegost

Reaction score
I have a program I bought for one of my old Blackberries call RCP Ringtones. It's the only program I ever spent $17 on but I like the professional tones when I'm work or in a work setting.

So I connect the Droid 2 to the PC and left the pop up menu on the default option or #1 selection "PC Mode". I saw the Droid when i clicked My Computer so i copied the RCP Ringtones file and placed it in the Droid files.

Now because I think I did it the wrong way, I see the file in my phone files but can't figure out how to move the file so it shows up as a ringtone option when i change notification or ringer sounds?

How do i fix this?

Also can someone explain how the sounds work? For example: What is a ringtone vs.a Notification sound? When is Media ever used as an alert? And in the clock it has alarm volume but no choice of alarm sound.

I never quite understood what the difference was/is, I'm used to profiles like in Blackberry, could someone give me a brief explanation of the sounds and when the would be used?

I have set sounds for emails, text, alarm, and calendar but sometimes they don't make noise and i may have an email sitting for an hour.

Also what the heck does Toast mean as a type of notification? Just curious.

Thanks for helping the newb!

In order for the ringtones/notification sounds to be available, you have to put them in the correct place. On the sdcard, you need to create a folder called media, under that a folder called audio, and under that two folders, one called ringtones and the other notifications.
To have the sounds available as ringtones (Which is only when you have an incoming phone call), put them in the media\audio\ringtones folder. To have them available as notifications (Which is for just about everything else, text messages, e-mail, other apps, etc), put them in the media\audio\notifications folder.
I'm not sure about the "Media" thing, or the alarm clock, but I did download an alarm called "Better Alarm", there's a free version and it works amazingly well, and you can change the notification sound in it.
Hope that helps!

chrstdvd

Reaction score
To set your email notification: App Drawer>Gmail>Settings>More>...scroll to Email Notifications and check it. Right below is Select Ringtones, you can chose music or ringtones, then choose the one you want. To get the volume up on it, use your volume keys, a popup comes up that says "notification Volume". At least then you will hear it.

As far as you ring tones. You can also place that folder on your sd card in the Music Folder. Then open your music app and see if you can play one of them. You can find the folder under the Artists listing, then open the folder, and see if you can play the ringtones. (I say this to insure that the file format is compatible with the phone) If they play, then they are available to assign as a ring tone or notification.) If they will not play, then you will have to use something like Danusoft Media Converter to get them into a format that will play on your phone, erase what the folder on your sd card and replace it with the new converted one. I use Danusoft and there is an option to convert so they selected media will play on a particular phone.

I use Handscent for texting, but I just checked the stock app for messaging and you choose a notification the same way Menu>Settings> Notifications checked, and then under that is a "Select Ringtone" and you have the choice between Android sounds or your music.

"When is Media ever used as an alert?" You have the choice between your music "media" or the Android sounds. I had "Hells Bells" by AC/DC as my text notification but it never stopped playing until I actually picked up the phone. Had to undo that. If I am half asleep and do not want to ans ... ya know.

"Also can someone explain how the sounds work? For example: What is a ringtone vs.a Notification sound?" Generally speaking, a notification is just a short tune/tone/jingle that goes off once, while a ringtone repeats.

Taegost's post above should qualify this thread as a "Sticky". I do not use my D2 as a phone, so I have never tried to "personalize my ringtone" I just set it to the old fasioned ringer, and look at it if it rings. No idea how to answer it. Ha!

OP
eg146

eg146

Reaction score
So Much to Learn but Droid Does Everything!

Wow, OK thanks guys. I was not aware that I coud create a rintone and notification file in the SD card which would then appear as sounds for notifications or ringtones.

I did a quick sync with Windows Media and the RCP Ringtone file I purchased for my Blackerry transferred to the Droid but not in a file where I go to change my phones ringtone

So anything in Media is Media and repectively for other folders. I also used Zedge on the BB and was happy to see it in the market. I downloaded it and now whenever anything with a sound, ringer, or alarm is opened and changed, I have the option to use Android system or Zedge.

The Droid has cool yet non-professional ringtones. I'm talking about having my phone in my brief case while I was giving a formal presentation to about 75 people and from across the room the briefcase is squaking and squeeking while saying. "DROID".

It's a cool sound but pretty embarrassing in a work situation, i had the phone about 12 hours and hadn't had time to figure it out.
Lucky for me, my audience was younger and I even found a guy who showed me how to change the ringer after the meeting.

Thank you so very much for your replies, I am home sick today so I'll mess around with the files and see what I can do.

I also use Quick Profiles but it seems like the volume is all it controls because the alerts for different email addresses and texts are not different.

That's one I'll tackle next: Separate alert sound for each email account and one for texts.

Oh hey one quickie: What does Toast mean? One of the settings I have for notification asks me if I want; 1. None. 2.Status Bar or 3. Toast

I thought it was an obvious Droid term so I didn't want to ask such a dumb question.

Thanks all for your detailed help, I really appreciate it!

OP
eg146

eg146

Reaction score
How do you make a post "STICKY"?

BTW Chrtsdvd, I agree about the sticky thread for Taegost post, yours too but am not sure how to do that. Do i need to contact a moderator? It's such good information for we new Droid users, i can't be the only one who has asked this in one way or another.

Anyway want to give credit where credit is due, just not sure how to do it.

Thanks for your help!!!

Taegost

Reaction score
For the separate e-mail accounts, I'm not sure with the stock app, but with K9 (Which is a free e-mail program that rocks) it's relatively simple to do (I say relatively because K9 has a lot of options, and sometimes it's easy to get confused as to the context of each option).
I have an app called Ringdroid Pro (I don't remember the cost, I think it's .99 or something like that) that will allow you to monitor and change all your ringtones/notifications in one app, instead of by going into each one (After the initial setup).
I believe the Pro version is required if you're setting multiple tones for one app (Like separate tones for your contacts, or e-mail addresses) but it's really nice after you set the initial tone, it's easy to see what they all are and change them on the fly.
As far as Toast, I have no clue, to me a toast is something you do at a wedding, or have for breakfast :)
Oh, I just did a quick search and found this: Toast | Android Developers
If I understand it correctly, it will pop up a message over the screen, so I would think in this context, if you choose "Toast" for say a text message, it would have a pop-up window with the message contents in it, like what Handcent does.

OP
eg146

eg146

Reaction score
Yeah someone told me to get Quick Profiles which sounds similar. It works the volume but like I said the noises for different accounts are all the same. It's not a big deal because half the time I get distracted before I can get to the phone anyway-lol.

I just had another thing come up that I don't get: the phone was ringing, screen locked, and I didn't want to answer but mute it.

However, when I slide the lock/unlock arrow, it answered the call. Do you just press the on/off button on top to mute a call when the screen is locked?
Maybe I'll just have to try it and see if that works. I'm gonna go check out Ringdroid!
Thanks again!!dancedroid