New Droid X user- so far disappointed :(

kameleongt

Reaction score
I've had some luck then I purchased droid X on release day and haven't had any issues whats so ever with it. I'm connected to neighbors wifi here at work with a simple click. I've never had restarts other than from user error< oc/ulc and other stuff where I am to blame for the issues> at home i'm running through my uverse router/modem with no issues and ran just as good with my linksys. Did you possibly have any certain apps installed on the old phone that you might have installed on the new phone prior to any issues? Sucks your having these issues hopefully they get resolved.

z06mike

Reaction score
Here is an update for those of you who responded to my initial post. The internet connection is not an issue in so much that I have to unplug my router to reset it. I still think that is bull but I have bigger fish to fry. If you remember, I was having the phone lock up on me, apps not work, phone shut down.

Well, I FINALLY got a new one last night. As of this morning, the phone had locked up numerous times, shut down several times on it's own and I have had to take the battery out several times to get it to turn back on. It is sitting here beside me at my desk waiting for me to take the battery out. Not going to. It's going back to the store like this.

I don't know what CRAP Verizon is selling but I have had it with the Droid X. I am not even running any apps on the d*amn thing. I haven't had a phone that has worked properly in 2 1/2 weeks. I wish I could see what high speed, reliable gear you guys are seeing- but enough is enough. :mad:

BigBuck, shoot me a PM and let's get this thing sorted. We can root that phone and try a new ROM on there so you can have an awesome phone that you will LOVE! I have over 150 apps on my phone with great battery life, no freezes, and it is VERY fast!

aristo1963

Reaction score
Buck if you had a bad app on your old phone,the cloud may have reinstalled it.When I first got my d2 I reset it 4 times before I realized it had dl'd and reinstalled an old bad app I had removed long b4 from my d1.

OP
B

BigBuck

Reaction score
Buck if you had a bad app on your old phone,the cloud may have reinstalled it.When I first got my d2 I reset it 4 times before I realized it had dl'd and reinstalled an old bad app I had removed long b4 from my d1.

I may have had a bad app, I have no idea. I did have a task killer on (Battery Saver) and got rid of it. So far it has acted normal the last few hours. That is certainly a possibility. I just wish these apps were vetted before they put them on the app store. Seems a bad way to piss people off and blame the hardware.

As far as rooting, which was suggested, I don't know much about it. Perhaps someone can provide this novice with a brief explanation as to what it is and also if it voids the warranty of the phone as well as drawbacks.

Thanks, All, for the help.

BB

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The only vetting process is in the comments and most people who write that it didn't work don't bother to say which phone that tried it on. grrrrr. That is why, unlike most people suggest, I use a task killer set to manual.I use Advance Task Killer and set it to tap brings up force kill option. If my phone acts stupid I force close any new or newly updated apps one at a time to find the rogue app , uninstall it , leave a comment with phone model. Yes it's a bit of a nuisance but I realize Android is where Apple was about 4 years ago and the upside is worth it to me.
Glad it's working better and hope the problem has been solved now.
Once my router was set up I've not had any issues other than a new cordless phone in the house interfered with the wifi on all devices but a router channel change solved that.

Support Our Troops!! written in some form from a wifi monolith.

OP
B

BigBuck

Reaction score
Just Fyi- I have had the second phone for several days now and it is acting up as well. I must have a bad app but the ones I have on there are maistream and should not cause issues.

I don't really know what to do at this point; if I can't run the likes of Yahoo, Pandora, etc. apps- doesn't seem to be much of a reason to have this thing.

I might go back and swap out for the Droid Global or maybe one of the Samsung models. Don't really want to, but my luck with these isn't very good. The guys that work at the store are absolutely useless as well. :(

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just Fyi- I have had the second phone for several days now and it is acting up as well. I must have a bad app but the ones I have on there are maistream and should not cause issues.

I don't really know what to do at this point; if I can't run the likes of Yahoo, Pandora, etc. apps- doesn't seem to be much of a reason to have this thing.

I might go back and swap out for the Droid Global or maybe one of the Samsung models. Don't really want to, but my luck with these isn't very good. The guys that work at the store are absolutely useless as well. :(

Swapping out for a D2G gives you the X with world wide capabilities and a smaller screen, a little different camera. That's about it.

I don't know why you're having the issues that your having but I will say this: The Droid isn't for everybody. You shouldn't have to root it to get it to work perfectly, it does that right out of the box. I have seen people go through several of them sometimes before they get one that work, I've also seen many people who for whatever reason just couldn't figure it out. So if you do decide to try a different Android phone you can try another brand, but if that still gives you issues then maybe Android isn't for you.

OP
B

BigBuck

Reaction score
I was hoping to get one to work right out of the box as well. If you have seen people go through several, then maybe I just keep exchanging.

This thing will shut down during activities like texting. It just did that a minute ago. Was texting my wife, the screen locked up and it shut itself down. No apps were running at the time. Now I have to wait to see if it turns itself back on or if I have to pull the battery.

I am simply looking to use the features it has, not looking to do anything really heavy like some of the people on here. In that sense, it should have no problems handling what little I throw at it. I love the feature, I just need a doggone phone that works right.

I did load Launcher Pro app as suggested by zo6Mike, other than that, I'm not running any app killersor anything unusual.

Ag3nt X

Reaction score
I can't help but wonder if a "fix permissions" would help him out?

Droid2G-0369

Reaction score
I went through 4 droid2 globals having the same problems as you before verizon figured out that is was a network issue. Then they fixed it something to do with the imei. They switched that and I have had no problems since and I run fission and am very happy.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The guys that work at the store are absolutely useless as well. :(

The poor folks at the store have no time to be anything more anymore. The requirements to keep from getting fired don't allow time to do anything more on company time and very few care enough to find out more on their own time.
You are in a good place. Keep updating and the fine folks here will get it resolved with you.
Me personally I'd go another brand next, not another Moto. I'm partial to Samsung build quality but absofrigginlutley love the performance of my Incredible.
I'm interested to find the outcome because I still think it's an app but could be wrong.
What texting app do you use?
Any anti virus stuff?
Vlingo and my Inc didn't get along at all yet many use it trouble free on the Incredible.I think it was a combination of some sort of Vlingo and something else but Google nav works just as well for what I used Vlingo for without the freeze ups and reboots. That's with the HTC Sense ui so the Blur will be different.

Support Our Troops!! written in some form from a wifi monolith.

OP
B

BigBuck

Reaction score
Something else I have noticed- the apps seem to work pretty well when I am not connected to WiFi, just running on cell network. However, when I use WiFi, the apps won't open, have errors, etc. and cause the phone to start goofing up. Does this help at all with trouble shooting....?