Droid 1 out of memory. When can i upgrade?

PelvaanAli

Reaction score
Pretty sure its that stupid need for speed game

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

R

RETG

You can upgrade the primary line every 12 months even if your on a 24 month contract. You'll get the 2 year price on the new phone and your contract starts over. The only drawback is you forfeit your NE2 discount but that's only 50 bucks.

The secondary lines can upgrade every 18 months.

Please tell people how? I tried that a few months ago and it was shot down. I'm up for a NE2, Dec. 2, so I had my contract for over a year. Also, for those with the minimum voice plan, it is only $30.00 for a phone discount every two.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You can upgrade the primary line every 12 months even if your on a 24 month contract. You'll get the 2 year price on the new phone and your contract starts over. The only drawback is you forfeit your NE2 discount but that's only 50 bucks.

Please tell people how? I tried that a few months ago and it was shot down. I'm up for a NE2, Dec. 2, so I had my contract for over a year. Also, for those with the minimum voice plan, it is only $30.00 for a phone discount every two.

just call customer service after the primary line hits the 12 month mark and say you want to upgrade early. No begging or anything they will just let you do it. Ive done it 3 or 4 years in a row now.

phreek

Reaction score
Is the bootloader cracked for the Droid X and 2? I've been debating on what i'm going to get when my update time rolls around, but I don't want one if I can install roms.

alitke

Reaction score

When you say your contract starts over, do you mean that lets say you have a 2 year contract and at 12 months you upgrade. Now, does this add 24 months to the remainder of your contract, translating to 36 months left? Or does it just mean 24 more months after that upgrade point?

I have been under the impression Verizon only allowed you to upgrade every 18 months and that was it.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

When you say your contract starts over, do you mean that lets say you have a 2 year contract and at 12 months you upgrade. Now, does this add 24 months to the remainder of your contract, translating to 36 months left? Or does it just mean 24 more months after that upgrade point?

I have been under the impression Verizon only allowed you to upgrade every 18 months and that was it.

you start a new 24 month contract at the time of the upgrade....

R

RETG

just call customer service after the primary line hits the 12 month mark and say you want to upgrade early. No begging or anything they will just let you do it. Ive done it 3 or 4 years in a row now.

Then you are very lucky. I just got off the phone and although I didn't beg or push the matter, they told me I was eligible on Dec. 2. This was the same reply from a few months ago via both phone and email. I did not mention to the rep I am not interested in a NE2, since I will be going for a one-year, and if they had said I go upgrade, I would have then brought up a one-year contract.

They did mention I could upgrade at full retail.dancedroid

The last time, they did let me go one month earlier than my NE2 date, so I probably can get them to allow me to flip to an X on Nov 2.

alitke

Reaction score

you start a new 24 month contract at the time of the upgrade....

Yes I understand that part. What I am getting at is that you signed a 24 month contract and upgraded after only 12 months. So technically you have 12 months remaining from the original contract and another 24 from the new contract. meaning 36 months total.

Either way I looked online and found my main line is only eligible every 18 months it says. I called verizon and they also stated only after 18 months can you upgrade without paying full retail.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yes I understand that part. What I am getting at is that you signed a 24 month contract and upgraded after only 12 months. So technically you have 12 months remaining from the original contract and another 24 from the new contract. meaning 36 months total.

Either way I looked online and found my main line is only eligible every 18 months it says. I called verizon and they also stated only after 18 months can you upgrade without paying full retail.

when you do this it does not extend the contract to make it 36 months...

now that i think of it i may be getting special treatment since im on a corporate contract with verizon wireless through my fiance's company. I thought this was available to anyone since i know other people not on a corporate contract that upgrade every 12 months.

i know we get some rediculous discounts on new phones and a decent discount on our bill(24%) but i didnt think it also allowed us to upgrade early. This is something ill have to look into.

alitke

Reaction score

when you do this it does not extend the contract to make it 36 months...

now that i think of it i may be getting special treatment since im on a corporate contract with verizon wireless through my fiance's company. I thought this was available to anyone since i know other people not on a corporate contract that upgrade every 12 months.

i know we get some rediculous discounts on new phones and a decent discount on our bill(24%) but i didnt think it also allowed us to upgrade early.

Hmmm. Well I would be eligible for that also as I am on a 22% corporate discount currently.

Edit: Called again to talk to someone different and this person said that we absolutely DO get a 12 month upgrade. So November 14th I am good for a 12 month upgrade which is pretty awesome. Think I might give my wife my HTC Incredible and I will get a new phone. Going to wait until after Christmas and hope they come out with something awesome with a front facing camera. My wife would love to have a video chat phone for sure.

Last edited:

UNC

Reaction score
okay so im not going crazy. I guess it depends on who you talk to on the phone.

Well the discount I have (federal government) gives me 25% off of everything, including upgrades.

So instead of 12 months, its 9 and instead of 24, its 18. You probably get the same thing.

OP
pilot25

pilot25

Reaction score
Titans, Droid 1 doesn't have bloatware??? What are you smoking? 1. Facebook 2. Twitter 3. Amazon mp3 4. Goggles 5. Gmail 6. Maps 7. YouTube etc... Some people would download some of these apps anyway but I like having the choice. In my opinion, Facebook and Twitter are for 12 year old girls and I don't need them. I use exchange so Gmail is another waste. Goggles is slow and cumbersome. Maps is a winner. A proper android device will have minimal apps installed. Most have bloatware.

Last edited:

UNC

Reaction score
Titans, Droid 1 doesn't have bloatware??? What are you smoking? 1. Facebook 2. Twitter 3. Amazon mp3 4. Goggles 5. Gmail 6. Maps 7. YouTube etc... Some people would download some of these apps anyway but I like having the choice. In my opinion, Facebook and Twitter are for 12 year old girls and I don't need them. I use exchange so Gmail is another waste. Goggles is slow and cumbersome. Maps is a winner. A proper android device will have minimal apps installed. Most have bloatware.

If you don't embrace Twitter and Facebook you are missing the boat....
That would be like someone in the 50's saying "TV is for 12 year old girls..."

OP
pilot25

pilot25

Reaction score
The difference is someone who is in their 30's, with a life, doesn't care what other people are doing every second of the day and aren't full of themselves to think others care what they are doing every second of the day. However, younger than that more power to you. Want to still feel like you are in high school, have a blast.<br />
<br />
Watch the South Park episode spoof on Facebook. Says it all.

Last edited: