Question about contracts/upgrades

bishoy

Reaction score
I read somewhere (I don't remember where) that verizon does not do one year contracts anymore. Is this true? Because I really need a new phone but none of the phones out now/being released in the near future are something I want to keep for two years. I was thinking of buying a droid 3 and upgrading in a year or so if a phone like the droid 3 comes out with LTE.

If vzw doesn't do 1 year contracts anymore... what would you suggest I do? (Besides pay full retail price. That's not an option lol. And suck it up until the phone I want comes out isn't an option either..... I need a new phone). Has anyone heard of them making exceptions regarding that rule (granted this rule actually exists lol)

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Bravesfan319

Reaction score
I read somewhere (I don't remember where) that verizon does not do one year contracts anymore. Is this true? Because I really need a new phone but none of the phones out now/being released in the near future are something I want to keep for two years. I was thinking of buying a droid 3 and upgrading in a year or so if a phone like the droid 3 comes out with LTE.

If vzw doesn't do 1 year contracts anymore... what would you suggest I do? (Besides pay full retail price. That's not an option lol. And suck it up until the phone I want comes out isn't an option either..... I need a new phone). Has anyone heard of them making exceptions regarding that rule (granted this rule actually exists lol)

Yes, Verizon did get rid of the 1-year contract. And I doubt they make exceptions to that rule.

You could go onto ebay or craigslist and get a new-to-you phone, which you could use until a phone you actually like comes out, which would save your upgrade until you find a phone you want.

What kind of phone do you have now? The droid incredible is still a very good phone, and with gingerbread coming later this summer, it should be even better. So you could find a Dinc to use until the time comes. Or some other phone that you like. Just my opinion though.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do

OP
B

bishoy

Reaction score
Well I have a Droid2 now.... but I really don't like it. I regret getting rid of my original Droid. And I need a keyboard. Some people can get used to a virtual keyboard but I need a hardware keyboard. That's why I wanted the droid3 and not the bionic. If the bionic had the D3's keyboard or the D3 had the bionic's keyboard there would be no dilemma for me

I may end up going the root& flash route to hold me off. I just really want my phone to just work without problems

Bravesfan319

Reaction score
Well I have a Droid2 now.... but I really don't like it. I regret getting rid of my original Droid. And I need a keyboard. Some people can get used to a virtual keyboard but I need a hardware keyboard. That's why I wanted the droid3 and not the bionic. If the bionic had the D3's keyboard or the D3 had the bionic's keyboard there would be no dilemma for me

I may end up going the root& flash route to hold me off. I just really want my phone to just work without problems

I was just on ebay, and there are plenty of OG Droids that you can get for pretty cheap. I've never rooted one, but I've heard they're really easy to root. Or you can keep the D2, I've heard that's not to hard as well.

Either way, with whatever you pick, good luck. And sorry I couldn't be of more help.

jseah

Reaction score

Yes, Verizon did get rid of the 1-year contract. And I doubt they make exceptions to that rule.

You could go onto ebay or craigslist and get a new-to-you phone, which you could use until a phone you actually like comes out, which would save your upgrade until you find a phone you want.

What kind of phone do you have now? The droid incredible is still a very good phone, and with gingerbread coming later this summer, it should be even better. So you could find a Dinc to use until the time comes. Or some other phone that you like. Just my opinion though.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do

To clarify, Verizon did away with 1-year contracts for consumer accounts. Business accounts can still do 1-year contracts.

FernBch

Reaction score
Also, if you're waiting for something you like to use with your "new every two" discount you have six months to use it from the date you are eledgible for it.

OP
B

bishoy

Reaction score
I thought they did away with the new every two discount as well?

FernBch

Reaction score
I thought they did away with the new every two discount as well?

They have for new customers. For exisiting customers it's still there. One time only and must be used within 6 months of becoming eledgible. Between that and an online only special I picked my DX up for $49.99.

White Sox David

Reaction score
Hey, what is Gingerbread? If that can improve my performance (I'm just over the 1st year contractwise). Will this relieve my angst 'till I can upgrade?

Thanks.